Sir_Ross

Sir_Ross' Discord Appeal

Posted  Edited by Sir_Ross - Edit Reason: grammar

Which Discords(s) are you appealing?: 

Main

Discord username (Add your tag and ID if possible):

Sir_Ross#3871 (145605139070320640)

Why was action taken against you?: 

I was talking in the #politics channel in the discord about COVID and political corruption in the medical field while citing the sources of the claims I was making. I do not know what I said that was "misinformation" and Benroy has yet to inform me of what I said that justified a permanent ban from the discord.

Why should the action be reversed or reduced?

Assuming I said something egregious:
In order to make a positive change in the situation, it is paramount to inform me of what exactly I said that was misinformation. After being informed, it would be most beneficial to everyone if I was given some long mute/ban and told that I could reduce the time of the punishment if I could effectively seek out more information and demonstrate that I learned how I was wrong. Instead, I was perm banned and not told of what I said that was wrong. A lot of people who were stubborn in their beliefs would react to this by doubling down on their misguided beliefs and becoming even more misinformed and potentially spreading more misinformation. Silencing people is one of the worst possible ways of dealing with a situation like this as it makes the problem way worse.

Since I have still not been informed as to what I said that was "misinformation," I will not apologize for anything. I can no longer look at the chat logs to try to determine for myself what was the issue as I was banned. I am still very willing to do further research on the topic I am apparently misinformed about and make a formal apology and try to correct any issues I may have caused by spreading bad information. I really want to put a good faith attempt into making this a beneficial experience for me and the community to show that proper approaches to situations can be resolved in a positive way.

Edited by Sir_Ross
grammar

CSS server Host - CSS Server Mieten - VeryGames

• Sir_Ross changed the title to Sir_Ross' Discord Appeal

Hey, your Discord information is Sir_Ross#3871 (145605139070320640)

I'm looking at your last ban it has to do with the COVID-19 vaccines.  Looks like you just got off of a major ban for spamming, and did disclose in your last appeal that anything more could result in a permanent ban.

Your post violated Discords policies: https://discord.com/blog/addressing-health-misinformation

I think this ban will be very hard to lift unless there's some type of misunderstanding, which maybe you can clarify on I can keep this appeal open to hear back from you.  If not, then I'm not sure if there's anything I can recommend or a timeline because there are many reasons to enforce this ban: 1) this type of misinformation is dangerous for community members, 2) it violates Discord's policies and so it puts our Discords at risk, and 3) you already came off of a permanent ban.  So if there was no misunderstanding on our end then I think the right thing to do would be to assume it's a permanent ban, then if you wanted to try and appeal like a year after your ban and happen to catch leadership in a relaxed/lenient mood you might get lucky in the future...  I couldn't promise anything though and even the added time might not help.

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

I read through the Discord policy and found no issue in what I said. What I believe I was banned for was discussing a study (which I cited in my message) about the side effects of the Pfizer vaccine. I did not oppose the vaccine, say anything about safety, or say anything that violates the vague policy of Discord.

I believe Benroy saw me talking about the Pfizer vaccine in #politics and assumed I was violating the policy. I honestly think this ban was unfair as Benroy never told me what I said that warranted the ban, even after I asked him. I completely get the hesitancy with this situation, but I don't even think this violates the section in the policy under "Criteria for Actioning and Exceptions," especially because it says:

"This policy is not intended to be punitive of polarizing or controversial viewpoints. We allow the sharing of personal health experiences; opinions and commentary (so long as such views are based in fact and will not lead to harm); good-faith discussions about medical science and research..."

I think what I said was a good-faith discussion and I even presented citation. I was looking to discuss the validity of the study and hear other perspectives.

I get that there is a precedent for my behavior, but I still think this was a quick decision made with little consideration. Just claiming "Discord TOS" and linking the health policy as the reason for the ban and not providing additional information when asked demonstrates that the policy was not really considered in the first place and was used as a blanket way of punishing me for saying something Benroy didn't like. I have nothing against Benroy, but I think he acted poorly in this situation.

CSS server Host - CSS Server Mieten - VeryGames

Posted  Edited by Joshy

First and most important: Is that you just returned from a permanent ban that was generously lifted, and we noted that any mishaps would be risky and could lead to a permanent ban.  I hope this part is clear.

I'm reading the link you posted from my own outside perspective.  The content in that article is commonly perceived as antivax material.  Merely by sharing it or trying to discuss exposes people to harmful or misleading information that could dissuade them from getting the vaccine.  I know you've got a few 1-2 liners to help your case, but the overall details described in Address Health Misinformation still rubs heavily against you and what you posted.

Here just a few examples from the article you posted.

Contrary to the CDC’s claim that the mRNA COVID-19 vaccines do not “change or interact with your DNA in any way,” a new Swedish study finds Pfizer’s shot goes into liver cells and converts to DNA.

Dr. Peter McCullough, an internist, cardiologist and epidemiologist who is one of the leading critics of the COVID vaccines, said the findings have “enormous implications of permanent chromosomal change” that could drive a “whole new genre of chronic disease.”

The Swedish researchers also concluded the spike proteins expressed on the surface of the liver cells through the vaccine could target the immune system and possibly cause autoimmune hepatitis. They noted “case reports on individuals who developed autoimmune hepatitis” after getting the Pfizer shot.

Team has not thoroughly discussed your appeal yet and so I will keep it open.  I want to try to be flexible and understanding.  Two of our Senior Moderators have just left the team so it might take me a little bit longer to respond with answer.  You were banned on Main and so I welcome any Discord Moderators on main to comment, and Seniors are always welcome to comment too.

My mistake.  This has been discussed and there was a vote on this already.  The team has voted to keep the ban in place, and so the appeal is denied.  I will be closing this one.

Edited by Joshy

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152