tehfrog

New Role: Shark

Posted  Edited by tehfrog

Let me preface this by saying this is a rough idea and I expect maybe a lot of it will change if it ends up being considered.

Shark is a special neutral role that uses evils' shop items against other evils. The concept is as follows:

This role gets a credit to place on a body. When the role that picks it up buys something, it is given to the Shark instead. The Shark is also notified of the buyer's identity. Detectives and Survivalists could somehow be notified or prevented from engaging in this mechanic.

Another design for this role could be giving it a usable item similar to Deal with the Devil that simply steals the next item someone buys in a set time frame. The Shark will be notified of the buyer's identity. If no one buys anything in that time(say,30 sec) the ability is expended with no benefit.

The Shark wins when he kills a certain number/share of his "benefactors". The Shark can of course kill innocents as a neutral role but it will not benefit his winstate. Telling the innocents who his target is would be considered throwing/teaming, so this is something to note. Also, because the role who is stolen from is always evil and is notified the Shark has taken their item, calling a Shark in the round would also out yourself as an evil.

As for how Shark may function when,say, the only evils in the round don't have shops or credits, etc, this would have to be filled in somehow with another mechanic or just make the Shark an Unknown or something.

I believe this role could possibly have some cool gameplay implications; feel free to add your thoughts or critiques. 

Edit: yet another idea for this role could be to make it an innocent or still a neutral with no special winstate, but idk if that would work out as well.

Edited by tehfrog

imo special winstate roles should always have a distinct sound, or a warning message telling everyone there is one in the round. imma give some more comments about this role later

NeonCat(2).gif.2714539153eb7163f372ea5b400ea8bb.gif

alright I can actually give some ideas for this role now
1: I would say that there should be no warning that the role is in the round, but the player that spends the shark's credit should get a message saying that the shark stole their item.
2: another cool gimmick would be knowing what different roles with shops spawn in a certain round, but not knowing who those roles belong to.
3: a major addition to the role could be the shark seeing an icon on their screen whenever a body gets ided, showing what role ided the body and where the body is. this could help the shark track down important roles with shops and get them to take the fake credits.
4: I would make it able to work for detective shops, to prevent situations where there are no roles with shops in the round.
5: the role should either need to kill all players to win the round, or get a damage reduction. if it gets a special winstate, it should have to focus on stealth and not just be able to get an sk wep and go on a rampage.
6: if it does get the special winstate, it's goal should be to kill all roles with shops in a round. if there are a certain amount of these roles left (3 or less maybe), all players should get a notification to watch out for the shark.
7: similar to the death faker, the shark should be able to see anyone who takes a trap credit through walls, at least for a certain amount of time but maybe permanently.

i have an idea to make this role be more managable tho it may be a pain to program make the credit thing only work 50% of the time where %50 you get the item they bought and %50 you lose the ability to place a credit for an extended piriod of time 

Sapphire Flame

6 hours ago, sapphireflame said:

i have an idea to make this role be more managable tho it may be a pain to program make the credit thing only work 50% of the time where %50 you get the item they bought and %50 you lose the ability to place a credit for an extended piriod of time 

I don't get the point of this, the role itself isn't too strong on its own so losing your only ability for a long time on your first fake credit would just get you killed half the time