AyAyRon

The State of EU surf timer

Posted  Edited by Craze - Edit Reason: I have added some people that Might be interested in the post

Hi everyone, My name is Aaron and I am an operator on the EU surf timer, Over the large amount of time I have been playing on this server it has been a great experience and the manager is doing his best to control both EU and NA which I know is very difficult,

Many of the operators and admins suggest that we maybe have an EU server manager to manage the EU side becasue I know the server manager has his hands full with NA, this is not a post to discredit our Surf timer manager but this is a post to give him a helping hand and there are some really worthy candidates for the role that have been here 2+ years that think this would be a great idea.

This would really help the surf server becasue for example,

- Bots and times would be able to be fixed easier and on an EU friendly time scale,

- The manager would have a bigger insight into the EU community and would be able to interact with the server more often,

- There would be an equal work span for both EU and NA meaning that we could get the same results,

I think the manager is doing an amazing job on the NA side but myself and many others suggest an EU manager also to work alongside the server manager to manage the EU server.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and if you have any input I would really appreciate it,

Aaron

-Shinxy-

@Roy @Cypher @Shuruia @Neo @Berg @pite @Zynth @Dano

Edited by Craze
I have added some people that Might be interested in the post

Craze

I think the main problem is the timezone difference. There is a lot of times where a manager is needed during daytime in EU but where and US manager is sleeping or something else. By adding another manager from EU this downtime without an online manager gets reduced a lot. Worth noting im not claiming that a manager should be on 24/7 they are humans aswell, most of them at least

Im not disagreeing with this at all, but there was an issue when we had a manager for EU and US, if something was broken on  all servers, they both needed to fix it individually, so a specific EU manager and US manager wouldn't be as useful as 2 managers in general.

11 hours ago, Berg said:

We aren't asking for a manager to only fix EU, and one to only fix US. Just a manager from each region :P

Are you saying to have a manager for each of the server? Like since there's 6 servers, each should have one manager? Or are you saying One manager for EU and one manager for US? 

pfs.gif.0454852536d8143a5e368e9f7a24a8a4.gif

credits to @Clavers

Achievements

What I am saying is that We need a manager from both the NA region and EU region to handle the timezones better, These two managers would work side by side on all of the surf servers

Craze

Posted  Edited by Joshy - Edit Reason: changed dominating to prominent, seemed more suitable

I'm not seeing the problem.

I see that you are suggesting to have a Manager for the two prominent regions, but I don't see what the problem is right now or what kind of problems you'd be preventing by having a second manager besides a vague "it'll be helpful."

Is the server crashing overnight and needs a reset?  Is there a dire need to test a plugin overnight?  I'd be really surprised if this were the case.  I think what you asking for is too demanding for what it seems like you're looking for...  Leadership concentrating on EU side could easily be resolved with Server Admins (at best a "Head Admin" for each region).  You don't need a second person with Root to "help".

I think you are also not considering the consequences of having two people running a server: They are going to have conflicting views, and even if you had one with dominating say, then the other would have to wait until the first is on to implement each decision (otherwise the dominant one will have to constantly revert changes they don't like when they are back on and it'll look tacky and be frustrating for players).  I've experienced this problem recently and it just doesn't matter how cool people are with each other...  it's just a really difficult effort at that level.

Edited by Joshy
changed dominating to prominent, seemed more suitable

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

I'm not going to point any fingers or blame anyone here Joshy,

But we have multiple issues right now such as bots not working, or just not existing,

Glitched times are not being removed,

All i want to do is try think of a way to help the current manager rather than cause issues :)

That is why we had the idea of 2 regional managers but maybe the Head admin could be a good idea to resolve the issues and I know there are some great candidates that could really help if they were given the correct power :) 

Craze

I don't think a separate manager is necessary at this point but the EU side needs someone to check what's causing its performance issues. (timer doesn't load for minutes/doesn't load at all until you reconnect, bots don't work etc.)

It's causing the server to lose a significant amount of players everytime the map changes, as well as concurrent users who get annoyed about the issues and find a different community.

Posted  Edited by Joshy - Edit Reason: extra note at end

Sounds like this is a general issue, not an EU specific issue.  I'm still not convinced that a second manager would be improve the situation.  By the way, no need to PM me as if anything here is a secret, lol :P I'd also really not prefer to get PMs over things that are already in a thread...  I already get a ton of them and my notifications doesn't show them all to me.

I think this kind of topic really resonates a problem that GFL has: For every petty thing, we "need" the highest authority working on it instead of a team member; it really shouldn't be that way.  Could you imagine walking into a store and needing a Store Manager to handle basic transactions or finding something on the shelf for you?  I mean it's no big deal if they are helping you in passing, but they should be concentrating on the big picture in general, and people like cashiers can do transactions, merchandisers can help with the shelving, supervisors can handle smaller and manageable issues, Department Managers overseeing sections of the store above the supervisors, and then the Store Manager becomes involved for issues that just need exceptions, broken rules, permissions, etc.  This is really just the same thing, except it's like asking for having two Store Managers because one mostly works in the morning and claiming you should have a second at night.  There should be supervisors throughout the day, and employees who can do things with very little supervision and handle basic tasks.

(I've used this example many times, but it seems to be a repeating issue we have trouble overcoming)

Edited by Joshy
extra note at end

In my opinion and many others this really is an EU specific issue,

I'm not the only one to try and shed light on this situation and I'm fairly certain we needed to bring it up here since nothing has been sorted over on the EU side,

This is my opinion and some others have gave this view too, and If "petty issues" comes under losing players and lowering the community in numbers I don't know what isn't,

I'm sat here trying to help and shed some light on a situation along with other admins who play on the server, we physically play on it regularly and we are trying to tell you that there is an issue.

Craze

Posted  Edited by Joshy - Edit Reason: typo

I'm not saying that we refuse to resolve any issues; I'm saying you're suggesting a solution that isn't fit for the problem.  Your suggestion is like trying to take a space shuttle for a 30 minutes commute that can be done by car.  I also didn't mean offense to you when I called it petty, but do keep in mind that I'm looking at things with the greater community.

I did a trend comparison between the EU and US servers and the differences seem negligible by the standards of many technical fields.

Edited by Joshy
typo

4 hours ago, pite said:

EU side needs someone to check what's causing its performance issues. (timer doesn't load for minutes/doesn't load at all until you reconnect, bots don't work etc.)

If what you said is true, then why haven't you report the problem to the server manager? A problem like this is supposed to be his job.

76561198043643390.png

I think the main conflict about getting another manager is the point of view. For anyone below manager it seems like the best option is to just add another manager. Because many believes a manager should be able to fix every problem within 1 hour of it occurring (Like some superhuman). But this is just not possible, no matter how many managers we add.  So maybe a solution could be, to write down problems occurring when and where and make a list for the manager to fix when he got time for it. I will however point out that the servers were running more smoothly (imo) when we had Ross and Frenzy as managers :) 

On 2016-11-25 at 0:44 PM, Craze said:

- Bots and times would be able to be fixed easier and on an EU friendly time scale,

- The manager would have a bigger insight into the EU community and would be able to interact with the server more often,

- There would be an equal work span for both EU and NA meaning that we could get the same results,

I think the manager is doing an amazing job on the NA side but myself and many others suggest an EU manager also to work alongside the server manager to manage the EU server.

Times can be removed from any server that shares the same ckSurf database, so all live servers including the test servers. Bots are removed from FTP, not from going into the servers. Should leave the current manager a message or post something simple such as "Map record on surf_mesa broken" or "WR Bot for surf_mesa broken on EU tier 1-2" on the topic below and it should be fixed by the end of the day for someone doing an "Awesome" job since it takes like a minute to do the task. Do you really need something like that done quicker? It's not like it's an urgent type of issue.

Having two managers is optimal though, definitely. Having them not be limited to one region is even better. My goal for the servers was to keep the US and EU counterparts identical, which for a period of time worked very well. So, one thing to be noted is that right now an equal work span SHOULD be devoted to both EU and US by the current manager. When doing something for one server you should just do it for every single server, unless it's something to deal with a specific issue on one server of course. I walked him through doing that, so I'm sure he is. 

Bringing in another new manager with no prior experience will be a drag initially. Especially considering Neo himself is rather new. 

The biggest issue with the servers hasn't really been brought up in this thread which is the timer, where do you think all of the people that played on GFL before went? To communities with superior timers. ckSurf cannot compete anymore. Fainted made a lot of good changes to ckSurf to make GFL stick out a bit from the other generic servers, though it's missing two incredibly vital parts: styles and stage records, including a lot of other stuff. Standards are a lot higher now, and the cucks that don't give a shit about quality will just go to servers that allow them to use !ws and shit that GFL doesn't offer. So at this point, GFL ST offers low quality servers with no cuck benefit. No bueno. 

Christ, look at US 1-3. It used to be ranked near or in the top 10 always, now it's drifted way past 1000 on Gametracker. To revive GFL Surf Timer it's going to take more than recruiting new inexperienced managers. And call me pessimistic but I don't see it ever nearly returning to how popular it once was. 

Former CS:GO Surf Timer Manager. (2014-2016) (2019-2021)

Former CS:GO Division Leader. (2014-2016) (2019-2021)

Former GFL Director of Divisions. (July 2020-October 2021)

Posted  Edited by ThanoslBsl - Edit Reason: Don't tell me what to do
On 11/30/2016 at 4:14 PM, FrenZy said:

Times can be removed from any server that shares the same ckSurf database, so all live servers including the test servers. Bots are removed from FTP, not from going into the servers. Should leave the current manager a message or post something simple such as "Map record on surf_mesa broken" or "WR Bot for surf_mesa broken on EU tier 1-2" on the topic below and it should be fixed by the end of the day for someone doing an "Awesome" job since it takes like a minute to do the task. Do you really need something like that done quicker? It's not like it's an urgent type of issue.

Having two managers is optimal though, definitely. Having them not be limited to one region is even better. My goal for the servers was to keep the US and EU counterparts identical, which for a period of time worked very well. So, one thing to be noted is that right now an equal work span SHOULD be devoted to both EU and US by the current manager. When doing something for one server you should just do it for every single server, unless it's something to deal with a specific issue on one server of course. I walked him through doing that, so I'm sure he is. 

Bringing in another new manager with no prior experience will be a drag initially. Especially considering Neo himself is rather new. 

The biggest issue with the servers hasn't really been brought up in this thread which is the timer, where do you think all of the people that played on GFL before went? To communities with superior timers. ckSurf cannot compete anymore. Fainted made a lot of good changes to ckSurf to make GFL stick out a bit from the other generic servers, though it's missing two incredibly vital parts: styles and stage records, including a lot of other stuff. Standards are a lot higher now, and the cucks that don't give a shit about quality will just go to servers that allow them to use !ws and shit that GFL doesn't offer. So at this point, GFL ST offers low quality servers with no cuck benefit. No bueno. 

Christ, look at US 1-3. It used to be ranked near or in the top 10 always, now it's drifted way past 1000 on Gametracker. To revive GFL Surf Timer it's going to take more than recruiting new inexperienced managers. And call me pessimistic but I don't see it ever nearly returning to how popular it once was. 

giphy.gif

Come back b'be :'(

I had to go on Tor just to post that :(

Edited by ThanoslBsl
Don't tell me what to do