wget

damage numbers

i want to know how much damage i dealt to someone when i shoot them:

- it is satisfying

- makes damage reductions you have on some roles more obvious (i literally didnt know imposter had a damage reduction)

i want a serious and prolonged and intense debate about this instead of +1 and -1 i want to read the intelligent exchange of ideas that the genius minds of this community can provide

9 minutes ago, wget said:

i want a serious and prolonged and intense debate about this instead of +1 and -1 i want to read the intelligent exchange of ideas that the genius minds of this community can provide

BUNGERS

6 minutes ago, Anathema Device said:

I really just agree and don't have a ton of input on it. My biggest worry is that it would be laggy (was an issue with our Horde server iirc but that's different).

Maybe something toggleable?

what damage numbers addon was laggy

2 hours ago, wget said:

if the damage numbers addon you used in the horde server is too laggy, then i would simply suggest MY damage numbers addon which i designed to be super lightweight and customisable by clients (through the f1 menu):

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2791060001

these are the other damage numbers addons i could find:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=110871780 (probably what was used before since it's the most popular result)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2076996117 

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2485649620 (i think a better version of the previous link)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2597522333 (seems to be an old fork of my addon)

looking at the discussion about this from the discord, it seems that the main concerns are:

- people would shoot you in the leg to check if you have armour or not

- damage numbers can be very visually distracting

i think these are valid concerns on the popular Hit Numbers addon i mentioned, especially imo the visual noise part since it's way too distracting with all the numbers bouncing around

however, i think my dmg numbers addon i also mentioned adequately deals with these concerns:

- it shows the damage you would've dealt without armour on armoured players, so it's not a free traitor tester

- there's no fancy animations or anything, the dmg numbers just appear above your target's head and fade away, so it shouldn't be visually distracting

- damage numbers from automatic weapons get added up together so you won't be seeing like 10 individual dmg numbers during a gunfight

- players themselves can customise how it looks instead of just using the server's settings, so they can decide its size, colour, font, etc and make it only as distracting as they want it to be

rn its f1 settings menu for ttt2 is functional but pretty ugly, which im working on and should be fixed very soon

there's also the concern of bungers potentially revealing who traitors are if an innocent manages to access it since they deal 5 dmg to traitors instead of 20 dmg

this is a valid concern, however an issue with this concern is that you can already do this without damage numbers: bungers give you hitmarkers when damaging innocents but not traitors

(regardless, i'll still be adding a cvar to my addon to deal with this)

i've seen several mentions about being able to see if someone is a glutton by shooting them in the head with a powerful weapon, which i think is not a real concern since you would come to the same conclusion regardless of having damage numbers or not

(also i hope i dont need to spell out why shooting someone in the head with a rifle is just an incredibly silly way to check if someone's a traitor)

Any type of numbers appearing would be visual noise that isn't necessary. It would be an unnecessary addon as seeing how much damage you're doing in the moment doesn't really matter, and you can see someone's health if they kill you. This will just overwhelm players, even if they can turn it off, most people won't know that.

Even if it was implemented it should be something that is off my default and needs to be toggled, and at that point, what's the point adding it anyway? 

It's a very handy addon, but isn't a fit for this type of game mode.

it doesnt have to be my addon, the hit numbers one or the other one i think can be tweaked to be less distracting and deal with the armour thing

i want damage numbers because i think it's satisfying and makes combat generally feel better whether you win or lose

what is visual noise is kinda subjective and i assume that the majority of ppl voting yes on the discord poll means they dont consider the damage numbers to be just visual noise

the targetid health indicator is frankly far less useful during a fight because it's information that takes longer to process than just knowing how much damage you dealt

idk how you can say that it's unnecessary to know how much damage you deal when that's often a crucial bit of info that can help with your survival

like when i shoot someone with the winchester it's pretty important to know if i hit a torso shot or a limb shot, since a limb shot deals almost half damage, and with most of the weapon animations having the character's arms held in front of their torso it's difficult to know whether you hit a shot that's half damage or not in the moment

3 hours ago, wget said:

it doesnt have to be my addon, the hit numbers one or the other one i think can be tweaked to be less distracting and deal with the armour thing

i want damage numbers because i think it's satisfying and makes combat generally feel better whether you win or lose

what is visual noise is kinda subjective and i assume that the majority of ppl voting yes on the discord poll means they dont consider the damage numbers to be just visual noise

the targetid health indicator is frankly far less useful during a fight because it's information that takes longer to process than just knowing how much damage you dealt

idk how you can say that it's unnecessary to know how much damage you deal when that's often a crucial bit of info that can help with your survival

like when i shoot someone with the winchester it's pretty important to know if i hit a torso shot or a limb shot, since a limb shot deals almost half damage, and with most of the weapon animations having the character's arms held in front of their torso it's difficult to know whether you hit a shot that's half damage or not in the moment

But I feel like it should be added for one reason, it looks cool B)

553892A1-E841-46FB-B3BC-9C4E27B68441.jpeg

Spoiler

6B6B122C-6EAA-4664-8B09-774D81600FF5.thumb.jpeg.a434035efb0d617a325e9c96c33435f9.jpeg