Beaker

Usage of the "C " word.

Message added by Joshy,

Until the rules are adjusted you are not allowed to use the word even jokingly or for inquiry.  Any further use of the word will result in at least a warning.

Posted  Edited by Joshy - Edit Reason: Slur

Henlo today i saw people using the word "c[removed]" against people. I am wondering why the player did not get muted while an admin was on. The motd also covers against hate filled language. While the word "c[removed]" is used to be deragatory towards those who may be white. I do not see it as the equal level of the n slur, but i think its around the tierlist of slurs. I am POC, but i do not think allowing the usage of this slur would be beneficial for the server. 

Edited by Joshy
Slur

Shitpost or not this reflects badly on me so pardon me for taking it seriously. Personally, I dont consider cracker to be a slur because its far too common of a word. However, if used in a derogatory manner it will be treated the same as any hate speech. The player in question was muted, albeit late because of personal efforts to diffuse an ongoing situtation, but was muted nonetheless. Even so he used the word in more of a "is this allowed" manner rather than a hateful one so I decided to be lenient, probably not the best idea but oh well. If you have an issue with it, rather than try to bait people on the forums you couldve brought it up at the time, instead you decided to make this and even went as far as asking the individual who said the "slur" to support your case. In the future if you have an issue with something that happened on the server we have people you can talk to about it, mainly the managers or staff.

kat.png.309b68b377e0f8438a3520f5959a56d0.png

Achievements

joshy i cant believe you actually think banning the word "choice" is wise. beaker isnt serious man, cmon.

xmi_signature_yae_miko_forums.thumb.png.382ccbebc34625a5221fa5d2521b1321.png

Former | too many things to fit in a signature

Achievements

Posted  Edited by Beaker
44 minutes ago, Kettermelon said:

Shitpost or not this reflects badly on me so pardon me for taking it seriously. Personally, I dont consider cracker to be a slur because its far too common of a word. However, if used in a derogatory manner it will be treated the same as any hate speech. The player in question was muted, albeit late because of personal efforts to diffuse an ongoing situtation, but was muted nonetheless. Even so he used the word in more of a "is this allowed" manner rather than a hateful one so I decided to be lenient, probably not the best idea but oh well. If you have an issue with it, rather than try to bait people on the forums you couldve brought it up at the time, instead you decided to make this and even went as far as asking the individual who said the "slur" to support your case. In the future if you have an issue with something that happened on the server we have people you can talk to about it, mainly the managers or staff.

I made this post to in order to create a discourse in regards to the C word. Infact, the I was mentioning about how another player called someone a "fucking c word" multiple times.

I also would like to point out the blatant hypocricy, with how someone also made fun of neurodivergent people  ingame. In which i did call out... Despite the r word being considered banned... Other people have also came to me in regards to the rot gen discord. With people not being okay with the rampant ableism.In which i made public, so other people can offer their input in a collective way..I also  find it interesting because there seems to be a lack of inconsistency with usage of "slurs"  in the motd. 

Plus, if this was directed at you I would have mentioned your slow reaction times. When Japher literally did anti asian remarks towards Sam....

Edited by Beaker

Posted  Edited by Higashi

It's a hard thing to reliably moderate across all platforms on a community, while banning the word and words like it would be beneficial it would essentially create a family friendly community and that in itself would drive away some players from either bantering, releasing tension or just being toxic. (gaming communities by necessity has some toxicity in one form or the other, its just something you can't stamp out)

My take is that its pretty hard to moderate these type of words, racial slurs and derogatory comments are far easier to moderate across the board. Restricting basic offensive words would be lowkey kind of dumb for any leadership to outright ban.

Edited by Higashi

7 hours ago, Auralanity said:

So if the word isn't allowed, what about this? 

51-H5jhe048-L.jpg

Good moves to make memes about the word after it's stated to "not be allowed", imagine if this was about the N word and I started posting memes about the Spanish word for black and asking if that is allowed, or found a product named after the word to make a snarky little joke to bypass it being a slur. 

At this point in time it is definitely a slur which is in a lot of GFL server's MOTDs of what not to say.  A user coming on the server and saying most other known slurs is dealt with immediately so I am not sure why, if there was staff on, there would be any reservations/delays on muting the user in question.  Beaker brought up a few things that haven't lined up correctly currently and in the past with the staff on Rotation.  Getting defensive about it is not the solution though.

It may be hard to moderate what words g*mers can say on server, but if you declare these things as not allowed in your server rules it should apply to everything in that category, not words the staff themselves deem as worthy enough to moderate.   I do not view the word as a slur either even as a white person, but if I was in a role that is supposed to filter out slurs I would handle it the way the community I volunteered my time to as a moderator/admin wants it handled.

Secrets of Eternity was released in January 2015. This set introduced the Infernoids, a series of monsters that can Special Summon themselves to the field by banishing other Infernoids from either the hand or graveyard. Notable cards in set include Farfa, Malebranche of the Burning Abyss, Qliphort Monolith, Uni-Zombie, Nephe Shaddoll Fusion, and a card that would bolster Satellarknight to combat the Burning Abyss Shaddoll meta, Stellarknight Constellar Diamond. In this series, both Nyhmnim and myself will be opening 24 booster packs or 1 box of a core Yu-Gi-Oh! booster set. We will build a deck and play a best 2 out of 3, and the winner will receive a small prize to upgrade their deck. HOWEVER! Each episode, we will open another box of the next set that was released moving in chronological order, constantly upgrading our decks before dueling each other at the end of each episode. This is the Yu-Gi-Oh! Progression Series.

iWRtIsJ.jpg

Achievements

Posted  Edited by Mystaldi
Not to be confused with the lower-case-initialled word, C[redacted] is a kick-ass police drama series from the UK starring Robbie Coltrane (Hagrid in the Potter movies) as a criminal psychologist in the employ of Her Majesty's Police. He is Scottish (of course) and grimly determined to have show-down after show-down with his wife over his additions to gambling, cigarettes and alcohol. Has a bit on the side with Sergeant Jane Penhaligon (whom he refers to as "Panhandle"), played by Geraldine Somerville (Lily Potter in the movies). He is deeply pessimistic and cynical and possessed of an ineluctable Celtic perception (sans tinsel and cliched stuff; think of the real Scotland) of the fundamental bleakness of the human condition. Sarcastic as hell. Unforgettable.

Oh, yes, the criminal cases are kind of interesting, too.

"Did you catch C[sussy] on the tube the other night? Did you see the bit where Coltrane's smarmy colleague jumps off the roof?"
Edited by Mystaldi