DrippyDogNuts

new sprint system bad

Posted  Edited by DrippyDogNuts

It's just annoying, there's no running backwards or shooting while running backwards or strafing and it constantly screws me in gunfights. I hate not being able to shoot while sprinting and the animation looks really goofy. Hopping takes up way too much of the meter and the game feels weird now imo.

pink.jpeg

Edited by DrippyDogNuts

Fart

Posted  Edited by wget

there's cvars to disable it for knives and shotguns, haxray probably just hasn't bothered to enable them yet

also jumping while sprinting takes up the same amount of stamina that you would've lost if you sprinted the same distance, it's to stop players from literally just bypassing the stamina meter which is ridiculous, the stamina meter has already been doubled to compensate for this

the point of the changes is so that you don't sprint around while in combat which is both annoying to do and play against, it just levels the playing field for everyone

strafing around normally at 220 speed is still very fast, it's literally the standard move speed in other source games

Edited by wget

It just doesn't feel right to me at least

8 minutes ago, wget said:

there's cvars to disable it for knives and shotguns, haxray probably just hasn't bothered to enable them yet

also jumping while sprinting takes up the same amount of stamina that you would've lost if you sprinted the same distance, it's to stop players from literally just bypassing the stamina meter which is ridiculous, the stamina meter has already been doubled to compensate for this

the point of the changes is so that you don't sprint around while in combat which is both annoying to do and play against, it just levels the playing field for everyone

strafing around normally at 220 speed is still very fast, it's literally the standard move speed in other source games

Am I a Fruit or Vegetable?

guys i need you to crash the server right now to apply the new changes that addresses some complaints

vote for inno motel and do the elevator thing to restart the servre

Posted  Edited by TechnicallySaney - Edit Reason: Crossed Out The Ones Fixed, It's Feeling Better Now, I'm Swayed

First off, just wanted to say thank you for working on this and I appreciate it, even though I do disagree with the change. To avoid just saying "It feels weird and clunky" imma just drop some initial thoughts. Wanted to be as specific as possible to hopefully be as helpful as possible. And of course, this is just my opinion.

Now that some stuff got fixed, I kinda like it now.

New Changes I Would Like:

-Items that are click and hold (grenades/newton) instantly fire/throw when pressing shift/sprint, might be nice to instead have them disable sprint or not lower them during sprinting

Old Changes:

Stuff I Like:

-Honestly, the sprint jumping change is appreciated, as it was a bit too overpowered with the amount of distance you could cover.

Stuff That I Feel Like Should Be Changed And Can Be Changed:

-The time from sprinting to time you can shoot is too long, with you slowly pulling the gun up, and I believe this is why it feels 'clunky' to me. I feel like this can be reduced to a quarter of a second and still have the intended effect. (Apex Legends uses a quarter of a second: Just focus on the first 10 seconds, the rest is about a glitch lol)

-Some items need the sprint effect removed, such as the sandwich, crowbar, suicide bomb, etc.

-Holding sprint and standing still puts the gun away and requires you to wait the pull-up time before shooting, which doesn't seem intended and feels 'clunky'.

Dream Stuff That IDK If Are Possible, Just Spitballing:

-Variable sprint to shoot time for each gun. Pistols slowly being pulled up looks silly, and shouldn't take as much time to shoot after sprinting as an LMG or a sniper. Would provide interesting use cases for slot 2 guns.

-A fix for pressing 'S' while holding sprint doing nothing at all. Feel like it should allow you to at least walk backwards (not sprint). Probably impossible to implement.

Edited by TechnicallySaney
Crossed Out The Ones Fixed, It's Feeling Better Now, I'm Swayed

Changing sprinting wasn't a necessary change, The majority of people I've talked to dislike this change. It slows down gunplay and creates weird situations where I'm staring at enemies for many seconds because we physically cannot shoot one another. Pointless add, makes no sense for TTT gameplay. 

Posted  Edited by wget

it seems rude that it looks like i just make fun of other people's complaints about the sprint rework, but honestly 90% of complaints i've seen so far is literally just an issue of people holding down the sprint key for no reason

just release the sprint key, it's that simple

"we physically cannot shoot one another" i'll let you in on a little secret: if you release the sprint key you can shoot

here's another secret: you can still move while your sprint key is not held down, it's called running

i don't complain like "oh wtf why do i move so slow can you guys fix this" because im holding down the crouch key, come up with better complaints

Edited by wget

@wget people aren’t holding sprint for no reason, people are holding sprint to get across the map. Do you know how slow regular walking is? On certain maps this server has it is almost necessary to have a sprint feature because of how large they are. The new one just clutters the movement system, you can’t shoot while moving, there’s a long ass delay when you stop sprinting till you can shoot, change overall corrupts gameplay 

Posted  Edited by wget

what are you even saying

you can shoot while moving

are we playing the same videogame

stop holding the sprint key for no reason, it's that simple

guys why am i moving backwards just because im holding down the S key

can you guys tell me how to fix this

Edited by wget

This is funny because you genuinely are just making fun of peoples complaints you have no real rebuttal so instead you point out a random word choice error I made. No one’s holding sprint for no reason, we’re holding it to go faster simple concept 

Posted  Edited by wget

this is awful i think you guys need to fix this, my screen is covered up with this big overlay so it's really hard to see what's going on

what do you just let go off of the tab key that doesn't make any sense

Edited by wget

Posted  Edited by TechnicallySaney

Well that was productive discourse lol.

What is the current sprintout time/time to shoot from sprint? Believe I heard that it was half a second before, and haven't been able to play much after the initial changes, wondering if that got changed.

Ignore If This Was Changed

Feel like 300ms/0.3 seconds or even 250ms/0.25 seconds is a fine timing and does line up to games like COD/Apex and even small changes have large impact on feel. Currently leaning to keeping it, but would be more convinced if the sprintout time was lowered slightly. 250ms/300ms of sprintout time would still provide an advantage to the non-sprinting player but wouldn't punish the sprinting player too heavily as I feel it currently does.

I understand player frustration as sprinting is fun, its fun to move fast. While there should be a disadvantage to sprinting, sprinting with a high sprintout time feels too punishing and causes player frustration/lack of control.

Side Note:

It is a shame that first impressions are so impactful, as I feel that the right steps were taken to improving the system.

Edited by TechnicallySaney

Posted  Edited by Nursing Home

Very few people come to play anarchy TTT for a true comp experience. People play Anarchy TTT for fun fast-paced action.  The change caters to competitive shooter style gameplay.  These types of changes need to be put in a test server and ironed out before they are directly inserted into the game. We end up with buggy, cluttered gameplay as a result. 

Edited by Nursing Home