DrippyDogNuts

new sprint system bad

I do agree that working to make an ironed out mod through a test server would've made the communities reaction less severe than it has been, but hindsight is 20/20, would be best to look at the mod in it's current state now.

I don't believe this change makes TTT more 'competative', but instead believe it is trying to change fights from 'which player can better track and react to a sprinting player, while also sprinting' and makes it a bit more difficult to plow through players at high speed. Although people are used to this style of fighting and some of us, including myself, prefer this 'Quake-like' feel, I can acknowledge the merits to change it.

I do agree that this does slow down the game a bit however, and therefore propose that the time to shoot from sprinting is reduced a bit more to speed it back up again.

Still on the fence on it's inclusion full-time.

@TechnicallySaney current sprint-out is 0.6 secs, i guess something like 0.5 secs for most stuff and 0.3 secs for handguns would feel better

'Quake-like' feel

i don't think the previous system feels like quake at all, it just feels like a janky and jittery mess especially since people also abuse the crappy crouchjump hitreg in addition

i really enjoy fast-paced arena shooters, but i dont think fast movement is designed well for ttt

quake and quake-like stuff (xonotic, ratz, whatever) are designed around fast movement speeds, its weapons and map geometry are designed specifically for fast-paced combat

meanwhile in ttt, the guns are pretty much just mostly automatic rifles with very low ttk and the maps don't really have the geometry for any sort of combat encounter to feel "quake-like"

Well that was productive discourse lol.

i generally hate the complaints that literally boil down to just not wanting to change, since all the "feedback" they come up with are simply excuses and are not useful at all (not yours, i mean nursing home's)

it's a sort of feedback where they work backwards by deciding they hate the thing first before looking for reasons why it's wrong, it's so painfully obvious that they're just looking for anything to blame for performing poorly in-game instead of just adjusting to new mechanics

the "i can't shoot while moving" complaint is literally solved by not holding down the sprint key when you don't need to, this is just not a complaint that's worth anyone's consideration, it's basically like complaining that you move too slowly because you have the crouch key held down

(not to mention that if they can't shoot while moving, then it means they're trying to shoot while sprinting straight at someone, which doesn't take an fps gaming expert to know that that's a bad idea regardless of any sprinting system)

a few days ago when i played on the server, i watched a traitor turn a corner and i tried to sprint after them but they were waiting for me around the corner so i ended up very dead

seems like this is a scenario where a lot of other people would be screaming and pissing and shitting themselves over, but i literally did not even feel the slightest bit annoyed about it

instead i quickly realised that i made bad decisions during this encounter

i KNEW that they just turned the corner and i KNEW that they just saw me, so i should've anticipated that and i could've taken the corner wide, and if i did that instead i would've killed them

it's more fun to try to see your epic gamer mistakes than to immediately start complaining, who knew!

honestly, I feel like there's been a lot of needless negative connotations with the sprint rework 

people have repeatedly asked me and haxray why we added it in the first place when we literally did a poll asking everyone whether or not they would be fine with it

the result was a bit mixed, but it ended up mostly positive, so it got added in due to people asking for it

Spoiler

image.png.a88dfd9b757278f667709847f73c64b0.png

(image by lobsterpaw)

now I will admit fault that I may have caused a bit of confusion since I added in a third option to say if you wanted to add it in temporarily (which made it sound like it's going to be permanent), but I believe it should be pretty clear by now that haxray and I are willing to listen to feedback if something ends up being a detriment, so it was never 100% guranteed to be a permanent change once it got added in, nor was it going to be completely unchanged for the entire duration of its stay

imo I don't think the system itself is an issue as now it gives sprinting a purpose instead of "free speed boost", thus complimenting ttt's focus on having proper positioning with its gunplay

all of the complaints of "I couldn't shoot someone because I was sprinting!" can be easily fixed by working around it; use cover to get out of sprinting, or just don't sprint at all if you don't feel safe doing it

now I get that this is a pretty big change to the server and there are some people who didn't vote positively for the original poll or joined one day and found it to be completely different than what they expected, and they feel like this is a huge detriment to both gameplay and the future of the server

however, keep in mind that making a final decision on whether or not to keep it is pretty tough as haxray and I feel like it is an overall improvement to the server, but we have to acknowledge that not everyone will like it, thus turning away some of the current playerbase for good

Achievements