GandalfZE

GandalfZE's CSGO Zombie Escape Mute/Ban Appeal

Steam Name(s): JotaroTea

SteamID: STEAM_0:1:63667907

Admin that banned you: Eesa

What kind of punishment was it (mute/gag, server ban): Mute + gag

Why should you be unbanned?

1: I made a joke simply saying "Oh an admin is on? Don't say the n-word or ch**k"

• I said the n-word as spelt above, but for ch**k i use the actual word.

2: After being muted I clarified that I was asian as I realised the admin probably did not know that. 

• After repeatedly presurring the admin to read my messages where i constantly explain I'm asian and I'm allowed to make that joke, i get gagged; permanently I assume.

Background: 

It's known on the server that I am asian and make jokes about asians. Even Neko knows that.  I'm mixed filli-chinese.  You've seen half my face. Take a guess what half my genes lean towards.

My relation to the word: 

I say it because you can't say it.

• This is how me and every other asian person I've ever met, reclaim our power and make light of what was our dark history of racism against us. It can be compared to how only Black people can use the n-word, ofcourse typically with the a.
  • In my social ethinic group, we believe that using words once used to belittle us as ways of joking and saying "We own this word now" is liberating. It takes it from other races using it derogatorily against us. Eventually the word will lose it's meaning. That's the goal. I believe it's called reclamation under some social studies. 

Attempts to remedy situation:

After having a very quickly heated discussion with Eesa about the word, where he said it doesn't matter that I'm asian, I found it incredulous of my struggles. 

After asking if he wanted to talk about on discord (To clarify our differences) He said "can you please shut up".

• To assume that they know what is best for my race and what is offensive is a highly reminiscent of white-knightism.  I did not ask for you to be offended for us. No one on the server has asked me to stop. I would have obliged if that was the matter because some of my race take it differently and are not aware of how to make words lose their power.

But Eesa is not. I don't care about what white people think is offensive to me or my race; you should not feel offended for us, and I don't want to be told how to cope with a word that we try to proactively reclaim.

I want to be ungagged and I want Eesa to apologize to me for making assumptions what is best for my race and refusing to hear me out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reappropriation

https://philarchive.org/archive/POPRTB

Posted  Edited by AsNKrysis

So I'm not be the admin that muted you, but, as an Asian (half-Chinese, half-Filipino) as well, I would've muted and gagged you for the same as well. It doesn't matter what race you are, we have strict rules on the server against using racist terms in any context. Have you ever noticed how we will mute and gag people who say the n-word as well, even if they say they're black? This isn't an example of white-knightism, Eesa was simply following through with his duties. Nobody on the server has asked you to stop either because they weren't paying attention or the admins weren't on. 

Edited by AsNKrysis

Posted  Edited by Vauff
1 hour ago, GandalfZE said:

i get gagged; permanently I assume.

I'm not sure what lead you to that assumption, your mute and gag were both 30 minutes.

Racial slurs simply aren't allowed on the server, and we enforce that rule equally for all players. It would be silly and just isn't practical to have admins verifying players races to grant them access to specific slurs.

I'm also sure you're aware just how much racism and the ZE community tend to go hand in hand coming from CS:S, and why even trying to allow "reclaiming slurs" in a space like this is a bad idea.

Edited by Vauff

5 minutes ago, Vauff said:

I'm not sure what lead you to that assumption, your mute and gag were both 30 minutes.

Racial slurs simply aren't allowed on the server, and we enforce that rule equally for all players. It would be silly and just isn't practical to have admins verifying players races to grant them access to specific slurs.

I'm also sure you're aware just how much racism and the ZE community tend to go hand in hand coming from CS:S, and why even trying to allow "reclaiming slurs" in a space like this is a bad idea.

I didn't see the time limit for the gag, only the mute.

I would agree that mute was justified if it were for the server rules especially with the reason you had provided, however not explaining that it was the rules when I explained in chat and instead insisting I was racist would lead me to come to the conclusion that I have stated above.

He didn't explain it to me from a rules stance but more so that I was racist.

26 minutes ago, AsNKrysis said:

So I'm not be the admin that muted you, but, as an Asian (half-Chinese, half-Filipino) as well, I would've muted and gagged you for the same as well. It doesn't matter what race you are, we have strict rules on the server against using racist terms in any context. Have you ever noticed how we will mute and gag people who say the n-word as well, even if they say they're black? This isn't an example of white-knightism, Eesa was simply following through with his duties. Nobody on the server has asked you to stop either because they weren't paying attention or the admins weren't on. 

I have yet to notice that, on my time here I've noticed many african americans say the n-word.

Bad timing i guess.

However, going on, i think the difference between racism and reclamation should be heavily emphasised. I was hurt when I saw the mute: reason racism, and was annoyed when there was radio silence on the matter.

If he had told me it was just standard procedure, i wouldn't have been offended compared to the feeling of the inability to make a derogatory word meaningless.

Posted  Edited by lce
5 minutes ago, GandalfZE said:

I didn't see the time limit for the gag, only the mute.

When you receive future communication punishments, you can use 

!comms

in chat to check which admin punished you and for how long the the punishment will last.

Edited by lce