Infra

Update: Machine Upgrade for WEB-4

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to share that we recently picked up a new dedicated machine to replace one of our existing web machines - the new machine is spec'd with a Ryzen 9 5950X (32 threads), 128 GB of DDR4 RAM, and 2 x 2TB NVMe SSDs! Compared to our previous machine from OVH, which was equipped with a Ryzen 5 5600X (12 threads) and 64GB DDR4 RAM, this is an upgrade several times more capable than the current machine.

WEB-4 is home to a lot of our key web services, such as our MariaDB database server dedicated to game servers and other vital services like the SurfAPI and our Discord bots. This machine upgrade should allow us to allocate far more resources to services than before, which means we should see significant performance improvements across the board along with being able to handle far more load.

We've acquired this machine in Los Angeles from Tempest Hosting, who were kind enough to introduce us to their network with a very good deal. Unfortunately, I'm unable to share the details on pricing of this machine, so all I can really say is that it is a very good price that should fit right in with our current monthly expenses on infrastructure. They've been very good to us throughout this and we're excited to see where this takes us!

Also, seeing 32 available CPU threads in htop never gets old:

2dt71.png

Yesterday, we scheduled a maintenance period to begin migrating services over to the new machine. @annoying furry was able to get quite a few things across, however, we will need more time in the near future to move the remaining services - announcements will be made in Discord when this is scheduled to happen. Once we have everything migrated, we'll be canceling the old machine from OVH.

An Update on Migrating PHYSION-1

In a past update, we mentioned our plans to merge Physion's Unturned servers with GFL's main game server infrastructure. Our goal at the time was to have @Nick custom build a bunch of required plugins so we didn't need to depend on third-parties and any potential DRM issues when moving, however, after speaking to GSK (our main hosting provider), we have figured out a way to instead move the IP address from the Physion machine directly to one of our primary game server machines in Dallas. This means we no longer need to wait for every plugin to be remade and can instead proceed with migrating as soon as possible!

@Salad and I will soon be working together on planning out the migration. Once completed, we should see significant performance improvements on all the Physion Unturned servers along with cutting $150 USD from monthly expenses.

---

Short update compared to the previous one, but that's mostly because myself and many others have been super busy with university and other IRL obligations - now that we're heading into the holiday season, everyone should have far more time and hopefully we can get some cool things going! The stuff mentioned in this update is part of preparations to pursue the previously mentioned region expansion and a few other things, hopefully I'll have more exciting stuff to share down the line. 😄

As always, feel free to send me a message on Discord if you have any questions or ideas for things we should do!

Discord: Infra#0001 | Steam: /id/infra- | GitHub: /1zc

Executive Director & CS:GO Division Leader          

Server Manager of CS:GO KZ

image_10.png

10 minutes ago, ItzTropicalx said:

i do not like this post.

i dont like you

Discord: Infra#0001 | Steam: /id/infra- | GitHub: /1zc

Executive Director & CS:GO Division Leader          

Server Manager of CS:GO KZ

image_10.png