dont care, fuck off

Mako Discussion

It's no secret that mako (regardless of version) has always been one of the most divisive, if not the most divisive, map ever existed. Generally people will either love it hard or hate it hard. So I want to ask two questions today.

1. What do you like/dislike about the map design itself (v5 or v6, do NOT discuss player behavior)?

2. Do you think it has left a positive or negative impact on mapping and the ze community at large (or if it even made any impact at all)?

Do share your thoughts.

I'm backk.

1. Honestly, I really love the looks of Mako (v5) and its fun to play, especially when wielding items. For Mako (v6), I'd say it feels a bit more unnatural for me, but still holds well on its own.
2. It definitely did, considering it's the first map with bosses, stages, etcetera. However, I'd say that it's more like a double-edged sword regarding impact. The positive being, it could entirely revive a server and be a very fun map to play. The negatives, however, is that the usual Mako attendees are mostly party poopers who just ruin the fun of everybody (and the shit optimization kekw).

suauce.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

2. Mako impacted everything, I don't think a lot of people realize the impact this singular map had on zombie escape, imagine not having levels on maps, imagine not having boss fights, lasers (potc arguably introduced a similar laser concept with jumping in a wheel) but the map clearly had a deep impact on zombie escape serving as the template for hundreds of newer maps. I think zombie escapr would be an immensely different game without this map. In my opinion I love how creative and boundary pushing the map was design wise. Additionally while not a factor on csgo on css it emphasizes movement a lot and it's amazing to play just for moving around in, it's one of the first ze maps that really let players express themselves as individuals outside of the group collective of zombies vs humans. Positive impact imo but I feel zombie escape has drawn upon its concepts too heavily most newer maps seem to be entirely based around a few maps like mako, minas, predator, santa, and gargantuas suite of maps. While there have been some original concepts like Kunes work or George's molten temple the general building blocks and game play people have come to expect from ze are incredibly warped from the initial pvp game mode that was created in the 2000s in css.

• 4 weeks later...

Mako is one of the best examples of a map where the level system does more bad than good. All levels except for EX2 are just an extended warmup of running through the same path and doing the same things over and over to reach the final level. It has super strong items that dominate the 'meta' and make non-item players almost useless. Finally, it has many punishing sections for newer players, which I think contributes to a lot to the divided opinions on the map.
Personally, I find the boss fights to just be a trivial DPS check. I also don't like maps with invisible walls or teleport zones like mako has all over the descent to the boss fight. And maybe most of all, zombies have practically no ability to impact a round. Wins and losses almost always come down to missed item timings or ending trolls.

• 4 weeks later...

been playing Mako since 2013 with the old crews like TCE/FFVII Elites/UET/EZE/Goza Elites/Derp Elites ETC ETC. once GFL or [pF] had mako on, the server would get instantly flooded. especially people waiting to play EX 1/EX 2

at first i was pretty bad playing Mako i didnt know how to use materias and i would always die. eventually i just kept grinding the map everytime they would play. the music was/is soo good when it came time to play EX 2. the vibes u would get when u come out the elevator on your way to the core it was just an adrenaline of rush and enjoyment, basically it was a race for the "PROS" to see who was the fastest to go down to the core and get ultima. once bahamaut came down IT WAS ON. every1 shooting at him while the music playing in the background was just perfect. not knowing also if bahamut would cast ultima 2x cause we could use heal only 1x to protect us from it. or if we had to use ultima our selves cause of too many people being alive which gave the boss more HP.  after we killed the boss, again the "PROS" would race up the core to see who would make it to the elevator again. once we reached the boiler/control room. that was probably the best moment cause. the music would play. probably the best if not THE BEST SONG of the entire map. everyone would just hug the door defending with materias etc. if timed correctly. ultima would go off as soon as the song ended with 3.2.1 .. BOOM ultima goes off. knowing bahamut died at the end of the ramp. everyone would start shooting sephiroth. you'll start seeing alot of people die due to the lasers. and u didnt know if the zombies would be right on our asses. so some would just rush at the end of the closing gate and just hope the lasers wont kill em. and that pretty much it. if u won. you would be so excited. so overall Mako is life. even after 10 years of playing the map. i can never get bored of it EVER

Sometimes you got to be cruel to be kind.

I should probably add before I peace out, to the point where over the years I did genuinely try to befriend people, even if I were quite edgy (my past discord messages can attest to that). But I suppose there's no sense of mutual appreciation.

So go fuck yourselves.

I'm backk.

• 1 month later...

2. Do you think it has left a positive or negative impact on mapping and the ze community at large (or if it even made any impact at all)?

• It contributed to some aspects of the Zombie Escape community, especially to the mappers that followed the same formula such as stages, boss fights, laser, etc. I was really happy to see that the new maps right now are more challenging than the old ported CSS maps. 

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false