Roy

Preparation And Plan For New Filter Rules On Anycast Network

Hey everyone,

As some of you may know, I've been working to hard-code filters into our current packet processing software (Compressor V1). This is a temporary solution until Compressor V2 is completed and its main purpose is to mitigate recent (D)DoS attacks aimed towards our network. You can read more about this here which explains why I'm doing this.

So far, these new filters are deployed on our Sydney POP and after correcting a couple issues, it appears game server traffic is flowing through this POP smoothly (I haven't heard of any complaints in five or so days). Therefore, I believe we're ready to expand these filters to POPs in other locations.

This morning, I setup an application I made recently to handle all the services we need whitelisted. Each POP will grab the whitelisted services from this back-bone every x seconds. I plan on giving Technical Administrators and Directors access to modify these service lists along with appropriate training so I'm not the only one making these changes since it will be a burden.

I do want to prepare everybody for the deployment. Please read below.

Deployment Plan

The deployment plan is pretty simple. I'm going to add these filters to the rest of our Asia POPs (Tokyo and Singapore) along with giving it one - two days to ensure there are no reported issues. Afterwards, I will be deploying these new filters to our Europe POPs (Frankfurt, Paris, London, and Amsterdam). Finally, we'll start deploying it to North America after the Europe POPs are proven stable.

I may give it an additional one - two days to try to capture more outbound traffic and make adjustments to our service whitelists. With that said, I need to figure out how to support Rust+ with the new filters since that's important for Rust servers now, I guess. This will likely add some delays.

Things May Break

Since we're whitelisting all outbound connections/services made by the game server, there's a high chance we've missed some things initially. I have all global/GFL-specific services whitelisted. However, there's a chance the game server is making outbound connections to a specific service in that game or game mode that isn't on the whitelist yet. If you notice something in the server breaking, please report it to the Server Manager and they'll go up the chain if it's related to networking.

I'm doing the best I can to monitor outbound game server traffic and whitelist the correct services. However, monitoring outbound traffic from 20+ game servers is very time-consuming and there's a high chance I've missed some things.

That's basically it. I just wanted to thank you for your understanding and patience regarding this matter. I understand some of you may be frustrated if a specific service breaks. However, this is the only way we can fully secure our network.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.

Thank you.

Guest Saizy
Hidden

How long did this take you & potentially other developers?

27 minutes ago, Saizy said:

How long did this take you & potentially other developers?

To get most of the modifications completed, probably around 7 - 8 hours (I spent 6 hours straight on this last Friday IIRC). However, I highly overlooked something for production due to the nature of Anycast and had to redo parts of the code which took another hour or two. Monitoring logs and trying to figure out the small bugs probably took 3 - 4 hours since debugging with XDP is a pain in the ass (you have to print debugging messages to the Linux trace pipe and you can't use user-space functions that would typically make things easier).

Monitoring outbound services is a pain since a lot of them use CDNs and come from multiple source IPs. Therefore, you want to whitelist ASNs instead and my back-end script automatically looks up prefixes from the ASN.

As for the back-end services, probably around 3 - 4 hours since that was written in Go and I'm not fully experienced in Go yet.

Other than Dreae helping me with the per CPU map issue here, I was able to complete everything else.

EDIT

Monitoring the handshake process between every game we host game servers in probably took around 1 - 2 hours as well.

Update

The last couple of days I've been trying to whitelist the Rust+ service. Unfortunately, this was harder than I expected since it uses the client's source IP to establish the TCP connection. However, I believe I got it pretty much working.

With that said, I'm setting up scripts to automatically update our whitelisted services and this is nearly finished.

I've updated the Sydney's POP with the up-to-date filters and just want to make sure things run stable for a day or so. Afterwards, we will start expanding the filters to new POPs.

Thank you.