Roy

[Announcement] New Web Machine + Moves

Hello everyone,

In the last couple months or so, we've purchased a new web machine. This machine was only 99 cents more a month and has upgraded hardware components. This machine was the same package type as the old machine (SP-64 on OVH) which is why it was around the same price.

Here are the old machine's specs:

• Intel Xeon E5-1630 v3 @ 3.7 GHz.
  • 64 GBs of DDR3 RAM.
  • 2 x 300 GBs SSD.
  • 2 x 2 TBs HDD.
  • 1 gbp port.
  • $144.00/m.

Here are the new machine's specs:

• Intel Xeon E3-1270v6 @ 3.8 GHz.
  • 64 GBs of DDR4 RAM.
  • 2 x 480 GBs NVMe.
  • 2 x 2 TBs HDD.
  • 1 gbp port.
  • $144.99/m.

This was obviously worth the extra $0.99/m, lol. The NVMe storage will certainly help with our MySQL server's performance as well.

We're also restructuring everything with this new web machine. This includes completely rebuilding the back-end servers. We're looking to make things more efficient. I'm hoping this allows us to grant certain permissions to our developers that will allow them to do what they have to while keeping things restrictive and secure. One thing we did poorly with the old machine was over-allocate SSD space to certain servers that didn't need it. This resulted in us running out of SSD space to assign to servers that needed it and it's risky shrinking a disk because it can result in possible loss of data.

Anyways, I've spent most of the weekend setting up the servers on the new machine and things are looking pretty much ready. I've already moved my personal websites to the new machine and things are running great (Browser.TF, Pop.Browser.TF, and g.gflclan.com). @Xy_ has been a great help and we're in the process of moving things over. At some point today, we will be moving this website over to the new machine. This will result in a couple hours of down-time. Last night @Xy_ attempted this already, but ran out of time. Therefore, we will have to resume the move after he gets home today. We will also be moving SourceBans at the same time since it'll make the website transition smoother (i.e. we have functions within the website that relies on the internal connection to the SourceBans database). This will require edits to the database information the game servers point to.

I would like to move everything before the end of the month. If this is the case, we won't have to pay for the old web machine again.

Other things we will have to move include the following (thinking off the top of my head):

• HLStatsX.
  • Beta websites.
  • GitLab.
  • TeamSpeak 3.
  • Other databases used by game servers.
  • Discord bots.

There is a chance we may miss something or bugs will be introduced after these moves. If you discover a bug, please report it to a Director or @Xy_ and I.

Thank you.

View full article

This post was rushed since I'm busy with work at the moment. I'll go into more detail about everything later on after the move along with the next steps.

Thanks.