Oppenheimer

These Tiny Primates Our Genetically Related To Us! Part 1

Posted  Edited by Joshy - Edit Reason: Removed ask for likes and follow

These tiny little primates are actually considered cute to some people (according to a survey done at my school). These creatures are known as tarsiers and are actually genetically related to humans! This means that they are on the same evolutionary branch and animal kingdom as the Homo sapiens (which are you and me) according to scientists at Washington University in St. Louis, who sequenced and analyzed the tarsier genome.

Tarsier1.JPG

Their findings were published in the local Washington University paper as well as my school paper (which I write and edit) place tarsiers on an important branch of the primate evolutionary tree – along the same branch that leads to monkeys, great apes and humans.

Tarsiers are carnivores that eat insects and small birds. If they are extremely hungry, they will eat rodents and lizards. Their eyes are twice as big as their brains! They also have a head that can surprisingly rotate 180 degrees which is close to the way that owls can turn their heads. A lot of people may say that owls can turn 360 degrees, this is a very common hoax. The animals track their prey using ultrasound. These minute creatures are nocturnal hunters and they have feet designed for sudden, powerful leaps, with lengthened ankle bones also known as their Taurus. Their name is derived from this bone.

Placing tarsiers on the primate branch has been followed by extreme controversy. Tell me if you think these little fellows should be on the branch?

Whether the primates should be considered “wet-nosed” or “dry-nosed”. This is very hard to determine due to the fact that their teeth and jaws are more similar to wet-nosed primates (example: lemur). But also has ties to dry-nosed primates because of their eyes and noses (example: monkeys as well as humans).

The University of Munster in Germany did the experiment again but focusing on what category they belonged in. The University claims that the primate belongs in the dry-nosed category. 

*Note: This was written and edited by me. This is just a part one <removed>. BEFORE ANYONE ASKS I posted this here because I want to have an intelligent conversation. Also this article I wrote did very well at my school and I got a lot of feedback. If you want citations or sources, it will be released on part two. If you want it right away, you can just private message me. *

Edited by Joshy
Removed ask for likes and follow

53 minutes ago, Oppenheimer said:

This is just a part one, like and follow this post as well as my account if you want to know when part two is released

Just an FYI, asking for likes and follows is kind of a no-no, an unspoken rule of sorts.

54 minutes ago, Oppenheimer said:

BEFORE ANYONE ASKS I posted this here because I want to have an intelligent conversation. Also this article I wrote did very well at my school and I got a lot of feedback.

Congrats on a good article, it was very interesting to read. Why do you think these primates were never found to have a genetic link until recently?

15 minutes ago, MrRabbit said:

Just an FYI, asking for likes and follows is kind of a no-no, an unspoken rule of sorts.

Congrats on a good article, it was very interesting to read. Why do you think these primates were never found to have a genetic link until recently?

I believe the research was done late because, a simple Google search of the animal brings up very little. The Wikipedia page has less than 200 words. The animal is not widely known and even I just learned about it today.

19 minutes ago, Booroyjam said:

This font hurts my eye.

I am sorry that the font hurts your eyes, I have heard this too many times on the forums. JUST STOP WITH IT! If you don't like font, then don't read the article! I am so triggered!

32 minutes ago, Transparent said:

NASA-SpiralGalaxyM101-20140505.jpg

This is also related to us.

This is related to us as well. Somewhere in that there is a planet called Earth, and on Earth, I am typing this too you as well.

11 hours ago, Oppenheimer said:

I am sorry that the font hurts your eyes, I have heard this too many times on the forums. JUST STOP WITH IT!

Maybe, perhaps, you might use the forums' regular font when posting? It will stop people from stating that they dislike the font, and may even draw in more readers looking for a scientific conversation.