SyntaxInvalid

An Introduction of Epic Proportions

Posted  Edited by SyntaxInvalid

...Or just an introduction. 

Hey all, glad to be part of the community. I'll be most active in the ZE and PB servers, used to play the hell out of those back in Source. Been playing CS since 1.3 (an old girlfriend got me into it, crazy I know for back then). Fast forward 15 years and now I'm married (to someone else for the past eight years), have a five-year-old daughter, a five-month-old son, and just moved from San Diego, CA where my wife and I were born and raised, to Austin, TX. Much better life out here and our house is insane. Been gaming since I was about ten years old (1991) and CS is one that has always stuck with me.  I'm a self-made software engineer and cybersecurity services consultant by day, gamer/family man/astrophysicist by night and on the weekends. I didn't realize the importance of a degree until I had a wife to take care of, and then again when my daughter was born. Out came a bachelor's then master's degrees in software engineering, respectively of each life changing event. Don't wait as long as I did, it's much more straining when you are doing so much at once. Totally worth it though!

So that's me. Looking forward to meeting you all and having some good gaming fun. 

Edited by SyntaxInvalid

I was attending one the universities in the La Jolla area and lived out there for about three years!  That is so cool.  I get the feeling that you and I will be able to relate really well academically, but I am very hardware oriented.  I began my higher education late as well, but not as late as you suggest for yourself (I'm not married and do not have kids), and I have had the advantage of looking relatively young although I think this feature has dampened quite a bit these most recent years.

I'm also one of the CS players, but I still heavily prefer Source.  You'll catch me on GO:ZE from time to time, but it's pretty resource intensive for my computer, and I am not sure if I plan to upgrade anytime soon.

Thanks for introducing yourself to us, and welcome to our community :) I'm really glad to have you here.

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

First off, welcome to the forums @SyntaxInvalid

It is good to see another Source player, as there aren't too many of those anymore. I can't say I could relate to you academically as @Joshy stated, as I am not yet out of high school, but I am a fan of all things computers, and my primary field of study in college will most likely be Astrophysics.

I am not sure if you have ever tried CS:S Surf before, but that is primarily where I will be. I would love to see you drop on by the server if you get any free time.

I look forward to playing with you in the future ;)

6 hours ago, Joshy said:

I was attending one the universities in the La Jolla area and lived out there for about three years!  That is so cool.  I get the feeling that you and I will be able to relate really well academically, but I am very hardware oriented.  I began my higher education late as well, but not as late as you suggest for yourself (I'm not married and do not have kids), and I have had the advantage of looking relatively young although I think this feature has dampened quite a bit these most recent years.

I'm also one of the CS players, but I still heavily prefer Source.  You'll catch me on GO:ZE from time to time, but it's pretty resource intensive for my computer, and I am not sure if I plan to upgrade anytime soon.

Thanks for introducing yourself to us, and welcome to our community :) I'm really glad to have you here.

Hey @Joshy , I've done plenty of hardware work :) I was a Sr. Systems Admin for a large outsourced IT company in San Diego for five years.  Love hardware too, but software and network security is my main passion in terms of career right now. I'll see you in the source side of things! I still enjoy that engine as well.

49 minutes ago, MrRabbit said:

First off, welcome to the forums @SyntaxInvalid

It is good to see another Source player, as there aren't too many of those anymore. I can't say I could relate to you academically as @Joshy stated, as I am not yet out of high school, but I am a fan of all things computers, and my primary field of study in college will most likely be Astrophysics.

I am not sure if you have ever tried CS:S Surf before, but that is primarily where I will be. I would love to see you drop on by the server if you get any free time.

I look forward to playing with you in the future ;)

@MrRabbit I'll definitely be on Surf as well, I used to play on a CS:Surf server a lot in the past as well. Good luck in your studies and keep looking up! See you soon!