CobalshMcGee

Arguments For/Against Neutral Pirate Killing

Pirates killing while uncontracted is kinda bs. I know that intro makes me seems pretty biased but I legitimately think it throws off the balance of the game and goes against the whole point of the role. I'm specifically talking about uncontracted pirates killing indiscriminately like an evil role would, especially when Captains actively avoiding giving out the contract. I understand that there are debuffs for an uncontracted pirate and I, of course, understand that an uncontracted pirate should be allowed to kill someone who shot them first, but it just doesn't make sense to me. Can someone explain the neutral killing rationale for the role, because I'm legitimately interested in hearing that point of view (especially from a dev/senior admin.

Also if this is in the wrong place I'm certainly open to moving it.

once in a lifetime.gif

+1 consider pirates innocent until contracted to a team.

I know nothing of anarchy. 

what the fuck are you looking at? I don't do GFL anymore besides the discord

This is something that I have brought up countless times - There is a serious lack of proper role distinction in the neutral roles, we have all these "types" and some roles are neutral; some are neutral evil; some are neutral killing; and some are "Special Killing". Pirates are in the "Neutral" category which doesn't seem to mean much.

As it currently stands it's so frustrating to be killed at 1s by an uncontracted pirate, nobody kills strategically and most pirates are quickly dead. We never see mimics do this and I imagine if they started most people would hate it. 

If you don't give out contract as a pirate you are cringe. 

Disclaimer: I am writing this as someone who regularly kills while uncontracted as pirate

Yes, pirates are "neutral".  But all neutrals are posed as technically "evil" in some way.  Priests die when they holy deag uncontracted pirates, and detectives get credits for killing uncontracted pirates.  By the definition of neutral, pirates should be able to kill anybody they want prior to being contracted.  However, I would be in favor of a damage reduction to uncontracted pirates, similar to amnesiac and mimic to prevent murder sprees while uncontracted.  I'm honestly not sure why pirate doesn't have this yet, as amnesiac, mimic, and pirate are all neutral roles who eventually join a team at some point in the round.  Amne and mimic lose their damage reduction when they join a team, but pirate never has this damage reduction to begin with.  I assume the only reason this hasn't been implemented is because it would be hard to configure in Lua to give uncontracted pirates a damage reduction, considering their role never changes, unlike mimic and amne.  

Hello I'm Doctor Pig

we should just all agree to public shaming of neutrals that don't kill for the sake of their role

also somewhat related: it should be kosable/reportable to say "i'm pirate, kill X if you want my contract"

piss

52 minutes ago, lobsterpaw said:

we should just all agree to public shaming of neutrals that don't kill for the sake of their role

also somewhat related: it should be kosable/reportable to say "i'm pirate, kill X if you want my contract"

It's against the rules to do that.