Onah

Week-Long Mapping Challenge

think it will be fun, 

gotta start reading up on those text books about how to map!?

maybe 3kliks to the rescue ?

@Onahole i believe there is a website to help create all stuff mapping... mind posting the link to all those newbies?

A few good resources are 3kliksphilip and TopHattWaffle to learn some general goodies on mapping

For information on a lotta stuff https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Main_Page is one of the best places

For issues and random questions, the Mapping channel in the GFL ZE discord can be really useful :lenny:

Tbh tho, the best way to learn how to map is to open Hammer, play with it and see what happens Lul

2 hours ago, Onahole said:

Tbh tho, the best way to learn how to map is to open Hammer, play with it and see what happens Lul

And ze_onahole_v1_1_1_1_1_1_1_!_1 was born  :lenny:

Are there any alternatives for hammer? Unless you have some experience and exposure to CAD software, it can be hard to pick up and is not the greatest UI for people that dont have that mindset/background. I remember PS3 games back in the day that had map editors built in where you could create maps quicker and easier just using your controller than Hammer. 

I know there is a lot more that goes into it, but I am very let down but the UI and controls for Hammer. Just curious if there is another IDE out there. 

Posted  Edited by hotEvercLear

went through Wall Worm last night.... my head... my poor head....

Seems like you can do a lot of interesting modeling, but still not a very user friend basic UI for non experience mappers/designers to be able to pick up quickly. 

thanks for sending that over though Ona... you may just get player of the week in LOTR Elites for this... 

Edited by hotEvercLear

Tbh, Hammer is way easier to use than any other 3d editor out there. 

You just make blocks (called brushes), change their size on the different view (top, side, front) and you see the result on the 3d view.

You can apply textures on  the brushes.

you can add entities to make the logic of the map:

- brush entities by turning the brush you made into entities, that can be doors, rotating, triggers (invisible boxes that trigger event when player touch them, or hurt them, ...). 

- point entities by using the entity tool, there are logic_ entities and allow you to do cool systems using basic logic (random event, boolen (enabled or not),...). There are also the sound entities to play music (ambient_generic), and the models called props which can be static (stay where they are forever in the map), physics (move with physic) or dynamic (can be parented to stuff to be moved around). 

Anyone can really pick up hammer and build something. And there are many guides out there

IiWfJa9.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I’ll like to thank everyone who’s worked their best on this challenge and also submitted a map to test. Because of this, we are a little bit behind in map testing with the new HDR recompiles and many of the new maps so please bare with us!