Soviet_nazi

How to install teamspeak debian jessie?

I have noticed that a lot of people use teamspeak in this community. I was recently looking into downloading it, but I am unaware how to go about installing/using it on debian jessie. When it is downloaded, it only gives a file that ends in .run, and I only know the basics, (Like how to install a file that ends in .deb). Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

-Soviet

Posted  Edited by --Xy-- - Edit Reason: Fix Info, orig was outdated

The teamspeak-client package is missing in recent versions of debian. They want you to download from thier site.

https://www.teamspeak.com/downloads

DISCLAIMER: I do not use debain, I use arch. I do not know if this will actually work

Edited by --Xy--
Fix Info, orig was outdated

71CFA5EE-923C-4740-ACF4-508B753C9AD7.png.92a0d40c0fa7773f71fea2453f581d16.png

(signature made by @Kaylode)

Previously known as Xy.

Twitter ❤️Ko-Fi ❤️Github

IMG_0248.jpg

ben_mixed_opinions.png

Just now, GLOdysseus said:

Why not just get Linux then. A lot more available for it including Teamspeak.

Debian is the only thing that would fit on the USB drive I had. Besides, isn't debian a branch of GNU/linux?

1 minute ago, Soviet_nazi said:

Debian is the only thing that would fit on the USB drive I had. Besides, isn't debian a branch of GNU/linux?

Yea but you require .deb files and the Linux download for teamspeak is right on the download page.

giphy.gif

Just now, GLOdysseus said:

Yea but you require .deb files and the Linux download for teamspeak is right on the download page.

Ohhhhh I see. But i've seen people with it on Debian before? so there must be a way to do it despite the weird file format?

Posted  Edited by --Xy-- - Edit Reason: Add info

@GLOdysseus BTW Linux is the kernel. Debain uses the linux kernel.

To run the file you get from the website you need to open a terminal, and cd into the dir where you put the file.

cd /path/to/file

Before running you may need to make the file executable by running

chmod +x teamspeak.run

and to run the file:

./teamspeak.run

changing the filenames and directories to match your setup.

also see: http://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-execute-a-run-or-bin-file-in-ubuntu (Made for ubuntu, but works on debian)

Edited by --Xy--
Add info

Previously known as Xy.

Twitter ❤️Ko-Fi ❤️Github

IMG_0248.jpg

ben_mixed_opinions.png

22 hours ago, --Xy-- said:

To run the file you get from the website you need to open a terminal, and cd into the dir where you put the file.

cd /path/to/file

chmod +x teamspeak.run

and to run the file:

./teamspeak.run

also see: http://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-execute-a-run-or-bin-file-in-ubuntu (Made for ubuntu, but works on debian)

Thank you so much! Linux is such a pain in the butt I swear. But hey, its free, so ... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

On 8/10/2016 at 1:12 PM, --Xy-- said:

cd /path/to/file

chmod +x teamspeak.run

and to run the file:

./teamspeak.run

I know this sounds really stupid, But how do I accept the terms and conditions in the terminal once I reach the end?

Posted  Edited by --Xy-- - Edit Reason: Incase you have a 32bit system...

Alright, to accept the license you need to press 'q' to exit the license page. Then press 'y' followed by [RETURN] or [ENTER] to accept. It will decompress itself and give you a folder in the current directory named 'TeamSpeak3-Client-linux_amd64' (or TeamSpeak3-Client-linux_i386 if your on a 32 bit system).

Your going to need install this folder.

The following command will copy the folder to ~/.local/share/TeamSpeak3 and mark it as executable. Copy and paste the following into terminal(All one line). This will install it for the current user only(If you create a new debain account you will need to repeat this)

cp -R TeamSpeak3-Client-linux_amd64 ~/.local/share/TeamSpeak3; chmod +x ~/.local/share/TeamSpeak3/ts3client_runscript.sh

Change 'TeamSpeak3-Client-linux_amd64' to whatever your is called. It will should be the same, but just in case.

To manually execute via the terminal:

cd ~/.local/share/TeamSpeak3; sh ts3client_runscript.sh

To avoid having to manually start TeamSpeak, you may want to create a desktop entry(Desktop Icon)

To do this, run the following command in the terminal:

touch ~/Desktop/TeamSpeak3.desktop; gedit ~/Desktop/TeamSpeak3.desktop; chmod +x ~/Desktop/TeamSpeak3.desktop

The text editor 'gedit' will open. If not run the following command, then rerun the above command:

sudo apt-get install gedit

After 'gedit' opens, paste the following into the window, then save the file and quit gedit.

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=Teamspeak 3
GenericName=Teamspeak3 client for linux
Comment=Teamspeak3
Exec=/bin/sh -c "cd ~/.local/share/TeamSpeak3; sh ts3client_runscript.sh"
Type=Application
Categories=Utility;Network;

There should now be a working desktop icon on your desktop.

To add the icon to your menus run:

cp ~/Desktop/TeamSpeak3.desktop ~/.local/share/applications/TeamSpeak3.desktop

If any of the commands don't work then let me know and I will adjust them accordingly. (This works on my system, but Arch and Debian are a little different, however it should still work). Let me know if this works! And good luck!

Edited by --Xy--
Incase you have a 32bit system...

Previously known as Xy.

Twitter ❤️Ko-Fi ❤️Github

IMG_0248.jpg

ben_mixed_opinions.png

13 hours ago, --Xy-- said:

If any of the commands don't work then let me know and I will adjust them accordingly. (This works on my system, but Arch and Debian are a little different, however it should still work). Let me know if this works! And good luck!

This worked! Thank  you so so so much! sorry I am kind of a noob at this whole debian thing. Thanks soooo much :D