Longus Dongus

Global Map Cooldown Buff?

I think the server is at a point where it would benefit from some sort of map cooldown buff. It's like a 2-day-long playlist of maps on permanent repeat. I don't mind maps being spammed off of cooldown, players can do what they want. I'll admit I too am guilty of nominating or voting for maps that are cd spammed. However, longer cooldowns would simply entice nominations of, and provide voting power to, less-popular maps. 

Posted  Edited by SimplyEesa

I def agree, I find myself getting very bored quick and fatigued from the server when same maps being played over and over...

Edited by SimplyEesa

meh

Before a CSGO SM/Admin jumps into this thread, what maps are a problem? The only maps I see played more often than not are ze_mapeadores_museum and different versions of ze_crazy_escape. Pretty much everything else gets played way less than once every two days. My guess if you feel like the same maps are played over and over again is because you just spend too much time on the server and the time between each map feels shorter than it actually is.

A global cooldown increase is just gonna dilute the already smaller map pool with shittier maps that do not bring players to the server. I personally wouldn't make any hasty decisions especially when player counts have not been very good lately.

I actually did already have a small global cooldown increase planned along with some other mapchooser config changes a couple months ago. But I held off on implementing them due to the aforementioned player drop off we had (pretty typical for beginning of school every year), as I was bound to hear some people blaming it on the changes. However, player counts haven't increased again as fast as I expected, so I'll probably just go ahead with these soon.

On 11/19/2021 at 5:29 PM, WarpedCakez said:

Before a CSGO SM/Admin jumps into this thread, what maps are a problem? The only maps I see played more often than not are ze_mapeadores_museum and different versions of ze_crazy_escape. Pretty much everything else gets played way less than once every two days. My guess if you feel like the same maps are played over and over again is because you just spend too much time on the server and the time between each map feels shorter than it actually is.

I'd like to touch on this too, as we do prefer to use custom cooldowns on specific overplayed maps rather than punishing everything on the map pool. I haven't really been keeping on top of this lately, and will definitely bring these custom cooldowns more up to date with the playing patterns of the server along with the other changes. Unfortunately, it is currently an intentional choice to have mapeadores_museum with a low cooldown, as we have been working to track down a rare & random heap corruption crash these past few months since the Linux switch, and this map seems to trigger it more than any other.

Posted  Edited by OxideTM

I do agree with Longus. I don't play much due to hefty work/family schedules but whenever I join the server at usual times, I only see repeated maps. Would benefit a lot if we just play some underplayed cool maps other than pirates/predator....

Edit: Adding crazy escapes to my list. 

Edited by OxideTM

• 2 weeks later...
Posted  Edited by Loccstan

@Vauff I think it would be cool if we implement some sort of dynamic cooldown system where maps that are played often get their cooldown increased and underplayed maps get their map cooldowns decreased

this is in addition to some sort of global cooldown increase for all maps of course 

Edited by Loccstan

asdf

• 4 weeks later...
Posted  Edited by GXP-10

instead of buffing cooldown, why not we try to encourage players to vote for something more unique and fun?

like adding system that promote the least played map on the server or a message in chat the tell the people.
because buffing cooldown in my opinion will do more harm than good for server since majority of players will always vote for same thing everyday.
so buffing cooldown might cause some to quit. instead to taking few days for them to play their favourite map again now it take longer for them.

make server for everyone not just regular lol.

Edited by GXP-10

any luff maps -> ff maps -> random tryhard maps -> tryhard laser maps that isn't ff or irrelevant ff maps -> random tryhard map -> mars_escape -> atix_panic -> any surf maps -> crazy_escape -> atix apocalypse -> minas tirith -> random casual maps -> shroomforest 123 -> platformer -> repeat