MeisterKleister

(Suggestion) Nerf Stealth

Posted  Edited by MeisterKleister

Hi all.

I probably hadn't seriously played in quite a while on the Surf RPG server. I (sorta) started again today and noticed some things have changed, almost all of which were totally fine by me.

However the one thing that did bother me really badly was the Stealth skill. It's become way too OP, in my opinion. Some high-level players are virtually invisible at a distance or behind glass or before any non-uniform background. On top of that come the glowing bullet trails which can obscure the vision further.

I haven't seen this insane degree of Stealth on any other RPG server I've been on, and I don't remember it being this bad last time I seriously played.

Some screenshots to prove my point:

20170204161106_1.thumb.jpg.05b85d15e74a52863e2d1d2cbf5d7c14.jpg

The purple trail is coming from an enemy in jail.

20170204160925_1.thumb.jpg.7137f75704675a3e26f3eb41d18976a2.jpg

Same as above; I think he's barely visible here. (Look at the radar, if you don't believe me that there's someone there.

20170204160341_1.thumb.jpg.05db408d4ea366e50f33a9cf191cde87.jpg

Can you see his floating gun?

20170204160351_1.thumb.jpg.ce49e9d13834f844286cc9b39cb748e0.jpg

same as above

20170204160740_1.thumb.jpg.408d514dcd8e22bdde6750884a641b8d.jpg

Here he's crouching on top of the ramp shortly before killing me (yes, there is someone one the ramp slightly to the left of my reticle -- literally invisible.)

Now I am aware that these screenshot are low-quality Jpegs, but it's not much better in gameplay. It's almost painful to my eyes.

My suggestion would be to strongly nerf the stealth skill.

Limit it to 3 levels at most, make it more expensive, and make the maximum transparency effect weaker (like current level 2 stealth).

Stealth in itself isn't a bad skill. I've never really had anything against it. But this is just too much. As I see it, this is just bad balancing.

Thanks for reading.

PS: I could also suggest a better version of this map, but I'll post about that in the map suggestion thread.

Edited by MeisterKleister

Posted  Edited by RickGrimesTM

Jesus I didnt even realise I was that invisible and I dont even have max stealth.

I agree that stealth is going to need a nerf big time...

Edited by RickGrimesTM

Achievements

54 minutes ago, RickGrimesTM said:

Jesus I didnt even realise I was that invisible and I dont even have max stealth.

I agree that stealth is going to need a nerf big time...

Thanks.

To be clear, the screenshots make it seem a bit worse than it actually is, because the Jpeg quality used by Steam is poor and the image is static -- you're more visible while moving, kinda like Predator.

But anyway, I haven't seen Stealth to this high degree before and I still think it's way too much. I really couldn't see you in the last image while playing, I simply shot at the point from which the purple trails were coming.

If you don't mind me asking, what Stealth level do you have?

I do believe that it is an issue with the anarchist terrorist playermodel. For some reason, it seems to be affected by stealth much more than any other playermodel in the game. I don't know what we can really do about it, other than removing it from !store to stop people abusing it. Some maps use the anarchist playermodels, and I don't believe you can change that without editing the map, but we will look into it, and see if we can fix it.

GFL Banner.jpg

Thanks for looking into this!

18 hours ago, Octavia said:

I do believe that it is an issue with the anarchist terrorist playermodel. For some reason, it seems to be affected by stealth much more than any other playermodel in the game. I don't know what we can really do about it, other than removing it from !store to stop people abusing it. Some maps use the anarchist playermodels, and I don't believe you can change that without editing the map, but we will look into it, and see if we can fix it.

I think that's it. I just took another two screenshots.

20170205143218_1.thumb.jpg.269ddbdc64e768805420d9c7bdc27b45.jpg

20170205143225_1.thumb.jpg.8b1aaefe6708b636a8514857ccf8a534.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe even just limiting the amount of stealth a player could have, rather then changing a bunch of things. I've seen this particularly on the US server to be a problem.

7dc3f2a47a7d6f4bd41bdc621a0dae8a.png

9f16a89baaec9c0856522b7d4d270e26.png

Katies_Signature.jpg

my thing.jpg

Achievements

• 1 month later...
Posted  Edited by Korowa

Giving this thread a very late bump, anarchist player model was removed from store 3-5 days after this or so, so that model is avoided in maps that don't have it.

I have forgotten to mention it back then, but stealth still needs a bit of a nerf eitherway.

Edited by Korowa

original.gif

Achievements