Faex

Hyperloop One

https://hyperloop-one.com/

http://www.spacex.com/hyperloop

Hyperloop One, if you didn't know, is an ambitious project being developed by SpaceX, and has potential to revolutionize transportation in the best way possible. What could take 3 hours to travel from Melbourne to Sydney by train or 4 hours by plane, Hyperloop can take you there in 55 minutes at 760 mph. It's done with tubes with reduced air pressure, removing air resistance and increasing speed. It also uses levitation pods, which removes friction.

What do you think? Is this the next big thing? Or just another flop?

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198058101056/

76561198058101056.pngAddFriend.png

"...You do a thing and it becomes the paint others will use on their canvas

of the internet for their memes" - Michael Stevens, Vsauce

2014 - 2020

Thanks for the good times, kings.

Former Global Admin

Achievements

Posted  Edited by Joshy

Ahhhh Robert Goddard got a mention ::x:!  So cool.

I'm dabbling on ideas...  I'm sure several of you are studying engineering, and one of the key "take away" is understanding trade-offs.  They want to reduce the pressure so that it's a vacuum, but to continuously move through that medium...  it seems to me it would violate a conservation rule (you can look at Bernoulli's equation is my idea).  Someone could suggest using a giant magnet instead of pressure (Force per Area) and the Coloumbic charges could be the Force to push the train, but I would imagine the amount of energy needed to do that would not only be expensive, but it would likely cause a dangerous amount of radiation...  they do very similar things inside of synchrotrons and particle accelerators, but maybe these are more approaching the speed of light and so these lighter speeds might be safer.

The other thing to consider is to stipulate, that they are successful:  That's really fast!  I wonder how many G's that'll place on a person.  If I'm recalling from astronauts...  not that I would know any, right?...  I think most of them pass out around 8 or 9 G after training, and a human body can only make it up to 12 G?  I'm remembering some emergency thing where it reaches 14 G for a brief second and I believe they might be able to survive that, but it's literally a last resort better than death (cannot remember if this was on the ISS my memory is faded).  I have no idea how I'm familiar with this stuff because I'm just a Starbucks guy.

Edited by Joshy

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

3 minutes ago, Joshy said:

Ahhhh Robert Goddard got a mention ::x:!  So cool.

I'm dabbling on ideas...  I'm sure several of you are studying engineering, and one of the key "take away" is understanding trade-offs.  They want to reduce the pressure so that it's a vacuum, but to continuously move through that medium...  it seems to me it would violate a conservation rule (you can look at Bernoulli's equation is my idea).  Someone could suggest using a giant magnet instead of pressure (Force per Area) and the Coloumbic charges could be the Force to push the train, but I would imagine the amount of energy needed to do that would not only be expensive, but it would likely cause a dangerous amount of radiation...  they do very similar things inside of synchrotrons and particle accelerators, but maybe these are more approaching the speed of light and so these lighter speeds might be safer.

The other thing to consider is to stipulate, that they are successful:  That's really fast!  I wonder how many G's that'll place on a person.  If I'm recalling from astronauts...  not that I would know any, right?...  I think most of them pass out around 8 or 9 G after training, and a human body can only make it up to 12 G?  I'm remembering some emergency thing where it reaches 14 G for a brief second and I believe they might be able to survive that, but it's literally a last resort better than death (cannot remember if this was on the ISS my memory is faded).  I have no idea how I'm familiar with this stuff because I'm just a Starbucks guy.

Remember, this project is being led by some of the best engineers and professionals.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198058101056/

76561198058101056.pngAddFriend.png

"...You do a thing and it becomes the paint others will use on their canvas

of the internet for their memes" - Michael Stevens, Vsauce

2014 - 2020

Thanks for the good times, kings.

Former Global Admin

Achievements