Sassy

Is it worth getting a car?

So in a year I'll be going to university and that means I need a way to travel. In Ireland you're allowed to drive from as early as 17 which is quite handy but very dear.

The insurance would cost me around 3,000 EUR as a first time driver. + Car cost and fees.

Do ye think its worth to get a car or should I stick to public transport.

gfl.PNG.541b067616ec3f5d29ad7c11c3978e5a.PNG

*as early as 17*

boiii NS Canada is 16

and shop around, I'm sure there's more then one dog in town who wants to insure you 

don't buy brand new for a first time buyer an driver it'll save you a lot in the scheme of things 

Achievements

Public transport or maybe even a bike could be sufficient. I personally drive but my parents pay insurance. Depending on how far it is you could get something half decent to just get you there and back. It doesn't have to be super new or expensive.

I'm just curious cause that's how I am

i have 2-5mil coverage plus compensation, theft, fire, ect

an my car is a 2013 dart

so I have to use full insurance

im only paying 200-250$cdn a month which is still high cause my driving abstract has a 6 month licence suspension, 3 speeding tickets and a seatbelt fine

what exactly are all y'all paying for an what does it give you 

Achievements

16 hours ago, Roxie_Foxie said:

I'm just curious cause that's how I am

i have 2-5mil coverage plus compensation, theft, fire, ect

an my car is a 2013 dart

so I have to use full insurance

im only paying 200-250$cdn a month which is still high cause my driving abstract has a 6 month licence suspension, 3 speeding tickets and a seatbelt fine

what exactly are all y'all paying for an what does it give you 

To get a car quote I first need to own a car but from what people around me are paying I can guess that it will cost 3,000+ EUR.

At the moment there is a new system called DriveSave which uses an app on your phone to measure your speed and etc. 

This new system gives you -10% discount each year. 

I also can't get a car that's higher than 1 litre because I wont get insured or the insurance will be through the roof.

So I recently have been looking at seat ibiza 1/1.2l (cant be older than 2002)

10 hours ago, JerryHatTrick said:

You can't just say "should I get a car?" - that doesn't give us a lot to work with.

A car is considered a luxury in a city - how far will you need to commute daily? Since public transit would do, I can't imagine very far.

A bike may not be a viable alternative, but how about a moped, or scooter?

I don't know the roads where you live, if there isn't paved roads all around, a car might be the only way to go.

I'm damned proud to say I've never owned a car, nor held a drivers license :)

For the next two years about 30/40km a day. Mainly for school. After those two years it will double.

I think I could possibly go with public transport but the idea of owning my own car has always made me excited.

6 minutes ago, Sassy said:

To get a car quote I first need to own a car but from what people around me are paying I can guess that it will cost 3,000+ EUR.

At the moment there is a new system called DriveSave which uses an app on your phone to measure your speed and etc. 

This new system gives you -10% discount each year. 

I also can't get a car that's higher than 1 litre because I wont get insured or the insurance will be through the roof.

So I recently have been looking at seat ibiza 1/1.2l (cant be older than 2002)

Come to canada

seriously

i mean holy hell 

you can get anything insured as long as it's inspected

and we don't care about engine size 

and we can get quotes without owning the car that way we know if we can afford the insurance for that car

Achievements

1 minute ago, Roxie_Foxie said:

Come to canada

seriously

i mean holy hell 

you can get anything insured as long as it's inspected

and we don't care about engine size 

and we can get quotes without owning the car that way we know if we can afford the insurance for that car

Canada sounds like dream land. 

Find me a house and a job and ill be there tomorrow :lenny:

1 hour ago, Sassy said:

Canada sounds like dream land. 

Find me a house and a job and ill be there tomorrow :lenny:

I got a spare bedroom and there are a few places withen walking distance (Until you get your car that is) thats hiring

Achievements

20 minutes ago, Roxie_Foxie said:

I got a spare bedroom and there are a few places withen walking distance (Until you get your car that is) thats hiring

Sounds like a plan. Now all I have to do is get a green card. :wutface:

I did not read what the others said right after it got off-topic.

To me, whatever is cheaper for you to do, is the best route. I mean, sure it has to be safe, too. Um, if your town is more of a crowded city type, no room to drive, then I suggest just using a normal bus/train transportation. They don't get traffic, they have this special road/track for them unless you live in a shit city that require them to stop. Uhh, my brother used to just ride with friends and he pays them small cash for gas. You could try that. And if you really want a car but don't have the money, the only option is to get a job and buy a car that'll take months or years. Or get a rent car.

P.S. Texas youngest legal age to drive is 15. Anyways, since we're all bragging and such. :D

pfs.gif.0454852536d8143a5e368e9f7a24a8a4.gif

credits to @Clavers

Achievements

15 minutes ago, Bae said:

I did not read what the others said right after it got off-topic.

To me, whatever is cheaper for you to do, is the best route. I mean, sure it has to be safe, too. Um, if your town is more of a crowded city type, no room to drive, then I suggest just using a normal bus/train transportation. They don't get traffic, they have this special road/track for them unless you live in a shit city that require them to stop. Uhh, my brother used to just ride with friends and he pays them small cash for gas. You could try that. And if you really want a car but don't have the money, the only option is to get a job and buy a car that'll take months or years. Or get a rent car.

P.S. Texas youngest legal age to drive is 15. Anyways, since we're all bragging and such. :D

I actually live outside of a town so traffic and roads aren't a problem. Its really just the price that's keeping me from purchasing a car. Also considering that I'll be going to university soon I will need a car anyway but it would be cheaper if I wait.

P.S I think that I should just move countries xD

17 hours ago, Sassy said:

And then spend all my minimum wage on my Indian wife so I don't get deported.

Yes or go gay an be fab 

but getting back on topic

You should consider what your finances will be like in the long scheme of things maybe year one go public transport and stash cash away that way by year two if you found that year one was to much to deal with you will have a nest egg tucked away for when you decide your next move even if you decided to stick with public transport you'll have a nice little nest egg for rainy days

Win Win

Achievements

5 hours ago, Roxie_Foxie said:

Yes or go gay an be fab 

but getting back on topic

You should consider what your finances will be like in the long scheme of things maybe year one go public transport and stash cash away that way by year two if you found that year one was to much to deal with you will have a nest egg tucked away for when you decide your next move even if you decided to stick with public transport you'll have a nice little nest egg for rainy days

Win Win

That's good advise. I've finally decided that I'm going to wait one more year until I start university and then look at my finance situation.

Thanks for the advise.