Mad_Father

What is GFL's origin story and how did GFL became what it is today?

Posted  Edited by Mad_Father

I want to take a different approach today on my random questions on the general section of the forum.

What is GFL's origin story and how did GFL became what it is today?

Now this is the question that people cannot BS on, and I am genuinely interested on GFL's background story and its achievements and issues.

Not to mention that I love good stories.

So, can someone tell me the origin story of Game For Life Clan?

(Also using this thread to tell other players who also doesn't know about GFL's origin and its past)

I do not care if your post is long, BUT I do care if you give shit replies to this thread.

quality > quantity

Edited by Mad_Father

PLACE HOLDER

well there was probably a gamer and he wanted to make a clan that gamed for life?

Posted  Edited by Bae

Roy started GFL back in 2011 (I think) and their first server was CSS (I don't recall which server). He was such a young and adorable child. 

• Moderator position on forum was not used until 2015 even though the rank was there
  • Had minecraft three times
  • used to have arma 3
  • used to have bf3
  • used to have kf2
  • used to have rust [current times]
  • perm banned our most trusted people who betrayed the community
  • has 3 steam groups [2011] [2012] [2013]
  • this is gfl's 3rd forum
  • councils were strict then relaxed, strict, relaxed... over and overs
  • servers used to be populated 24/7

As to why it's called Games For Life is because it literally means what it means. If you enjoy gaming and love it like it's your life. Then that's the name. But unknowingly, Games For Life is also another company's name to teach children how to play games. 

I'm not going to add too much details because I don't want to make false accusations. 

Edited by Bae

pfs.gif.0454852536d8143a5e368e9f7a24a8a4.gif

credits to @Clavers

Achievements

1 minute ago, Bae said:

Roy started GFL back in 2011 (I think) and their first server was CSS (I don't recall which server). He was such a young and adorable child. 

• Moderator position on forum was not used until 2015 even though the rank was there
  • used to have arma 3
  • used to have bf3
  • used to have kf2

I'm not going to add too much details because I don't want to make false accusations. 

Noice and how do you know so much?

1 minute ago, Bae said:

• used to have arma 3
  • used to have bf3
  • used to have kf2

Finally someone who actually read the tags and is being respectful to the post.

ON TOPIC: what do you mean strict then relax then repeat?

what caused this to happen?

PLACE HOLDER

Just now, Panda said:

Noice and how do you know so much?

I don't.

This is literally just 10% of the origin.

Because I used to date a co-owner whose perm banned on here. He would tell me things of how GFL was like back in the day and I've also talk to Floopy and Roy about it.

1 minute ago, Mad_Father said:

Finally someone who actually read the tags and is being respectful to the post.

ON TOPIC: what do you mean strict then relax then repeat?

what caused this to happen?

Oh, this is from what I've heard. They used to have a council name Echo. He was very strict. Any false mistakes, you're a goner. But one day, the councils were somewhat relaxed, as if there's nothing to do. So they're more nice. But then, one of our council was demoted for abuse. It was not Echo, since Echo left a long time ago.  So eventually, we had about 3 councils left. Then another left because he is moving on with his life. Then it became 2 councils left, that was when Roy decided Council should be removed. Because they were given too many work and not enough time to do it. Councils was removed, but division leader was created. Then division leaders became too powerful, so they recreated Council. Right now they're nice in a way.

credits to @Clavers

Achievements

1 minute ago, Bae said:

I don't.

Because I used to date a co-owner whose perm banned on here. He would tell me things of how GFL was like back in the day and I've also talk to Floopy and Roy about it.

Oh, this is from what I've heard. They used to have a council name Echo. He was very strict. Any false mistakes, you're a goner. But one day, the councils were somewhat relaxed, as if there's nothing to do. So they're more nice. But then, one of our council was demoted for abuse. It was not Echo, since Echo left a long time ago.  So eventually, we had about 3 councils left. Then another left because he is moving on with his life. Then it became 2 councils left, that was when Roy decided Council should be removed. Because they were given too many work and not enough time to do it. Councils was removed, but division leader was created. Then division leaders became too powerful, so they recreated Council. Right now they're nice in a way.

so what do "councils" do?

PLACE HOLDER

2 minutes ago, Bae said:

I don't.

Awesome Thanks

Just now, Mad_Father said:

Division Leader watches over the game they're division leader of, correct?

Council watches over them and the community as a whole.

credits to @Clavers

Achievements

Posted  Edited by Mad_Father
10 minutes ago, Phantom678 said:

You do realized that Mad Father wants a serious post right?

He jokingly called me a nazi on server for doing this (dont ban him for this, it was a joke from him)

and thanks for understanding.

and thanks to @SwegBuster for enforcing the seriousness.

ON TOPIC

14 minutes ago, Bae said:

Division Leader watches over the game they're division leader of, correct?

Council watches over them and the community as a whole.

so what do tech admins do?

Edited by Mad_Father

PLACE HOLDER

14 minutes ago, Bae said:

2 minutes ago, Mad_Father said:

He jokingly called me a nazi on server for doing this (dont ban him for this, it was a joke from him)

ON TOPIC

sorry but how do i fix that when i reply it always has a quote as you can see

Posted  Edited by Bae
9 minutes ago, Mad_Father said:

ON TOPIC

Technician Admins is what it means. They're the Tech of GFL. Things like Developers pretty much or any problems within GFL community overall. Setup is the security of GFL. Denros does the backend of GFL forums, sometimes servers, and sometimes teamspeak. Head-Banana does the developing and creation of coding.

Oh, if you're admin, there's a thread in the admin section explaining each and every one of the higher ranks and what they're job is and will be.

Edited by Bae

credits to @Clavers

Achievements

i know this is off/on topic how many ranks are there if you understand what i'm saying

tl;dr

many dicks were sucked.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

GM3PM22.gif

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) GFL PROFILE ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) STEAM PROFILE ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) BattleTag: Doctersalt#1734 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1033049.png

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

It's simple. One Council is too relaxed and the replacement is like. They were to relaxed. Let's be more strict. Then they get replaced and the next is relaxed then strict then....

I may give you stage 7 cancer 

Posted  Edited by Otter

December 10th, 1999. Computers we're not that advanced and Roy was a wee-lad. He has an interest in computers and coding, even though he didn't really know what that was... He sat on his father's lap and said, "Daddy, I want to make a popular gaming community and I want to learn how to code dank plugins n' shit." His father said, "Shut up, son. You just turned 2 and planning your life, god dammit, slow down." Roy was very upset. He wanted to become the best! As he grew older, computers became more advanced. Suiting his needs. When he turned 13, he was playing the best game ever created, Minecraft, while he was playing he found diamonds and exclaimed, "I'm going to be playing games for the rest of my life!" That's when he knew, he was going to start a gaming community named, "Games For Life". 

I'm pretty sure that's how most of it went. :lenny:

Edited by Otter

we had a server

we made more servers

we lost a server

we lose more servers

we here

maxresdefault.jpg

9qgn1Zn.png

was good knowin you

M E M E S

Spoiler

c8t20uJ.png

NYsFw15.png

pRMNTno.png

iGOJUvA.png

9qgn1Zn.png

F11Vx5A.png

YK0zrGH.png

D I S C O R D

V5BjkfK.png

NHMZswY.png

4M7pOXZ.png

aURPCME.png

XYga1Wn.png

7VakUEv.png

ecErTIf.png

cc1LDBw.png

D E N R O S

giphy.gif

D O N T   F O R G E T   W I L F O R D

SDjQmNz.png

D O N T   F O R G E T   J E R M

9qgn1Zn.png

Spoiler

Former Garry's Mod Jailbreak Manager

Former CS:S Bhop Manager

Former CS:S Dust 2 Manager

#MakeGMODGreatAgain

#BringBackGMODJailbreak

#BringBackJermsquad

#Hacking4CA

7 hours ago, Mad_Father said:

To be fair, you should really know the basics of what each rank do seeing as you're an admin but no worries, people are here to help. The ranks are going somewhat under a change hence why you've seen new ranks like Technical Admin and the Moderator rank changed to Community Adviser but an announcement will be made on that soon, hopefully. 

The Council are the guys who deal with most of the communication in GFL whether it's from inside or outside of GFL, such as sponsors/partners etc. They're there to lead the community in the right direction, promoting community growth, basic (I think) website maintenance and genuinely leading the community as a whole. Just imagine them as a Board of Directors in a business and what they have to do to keep a business alive, excluding the whole making money part.

Division Leaders, such as myself, are responsible for the oversight of a single game and all of its servers. We have 4 games, or divisions, that the Division Leaders are responsible for. I am responsible for overseeing the TF2 servers that we have. We would aid our Managers in running the servers, appoint/demote/training Managers, bug fix and just supervise the Division and its staff. There are other things we do as well but that's the basic gist. 

The rank Community Adviser was originally the old Moderator rank. It still somewhat is but with a twist. They're there to give an unbiased opinion on matters held within GFL, throw some advise around here and there and be the guys that stops the Higher Ups from making bad decisions. 

Technical Administrators are the guys that run the show behind the scenes. They deal with GFL-Core and all plugins associated with it, Website programming/bug fixing, patching large issues that need to be solved quickly and the likes of that. They're our trusted developers who usually have a a lot more access then normal developers. 

7 hours ago, Bae said:

Oh, if you're admin, there's a thread in the admin section explaining each and every one of the higher ranks and what they're job is and will be.

And as @Bae rightly pointed out, it's there and pinned so everyone who is Admin+ can see it. Not everything has been implemented yet but hopefully it will be soon.

11f4263ab6c30a3489f8db3145340861.png

So everyone is listing their former stuff so I'll just be cool and list mine :3

Former @HackingPotato's White Knight and Boss Former TF2 Division Leader Former Community Advisor Former TF2 Technical Administrator Former TF2 Server Manager Former TF2 Trial Manager Former TF2 Admin Former TF2 Revivalist Former TF2 Player Former TF2 God Former Media Leaderish Former somewhat Media team person Former VIP Former Supporter Former Member Former TF2 Player Former Player

Posted  Edited by PB-n-J
10 hours ago, Otter said:

December 10th, 1999. Computers we're not that advanced and Roy was a wee-lad. He has an interest in computers and coding, even though he didn't really know what that was... He sat on his father's lap and said, "Daddy, I want to make a popular gaming community and I want to learn how to code dank plugins n' shit." His father said, "Shut up, son. You just turned 2 and planning your life, god dammit, slow down." Roy was very upset. He wanted to become the best! As he grew older, computers became more advanced. Suiting his needs. When he turned 13, he was playing the best game ever created, Minecraft, while he was playing he found diamonds and exclaimed, "I'm going to be playing games for the rest of my life!" That's when he knew, he was going to start a gaming community named, "Games For Life". 

I'm pretty sure that's how most of it went. :lenny:

Sounds legit.

GFL's had a somewhat long and rocky history. The previous website once had a history of GFL, talking about what GFL had gone through up to early 2016.

Then, as Bae said, there was betrayal. Issues aside, we're building up from scratch again. 

11 hours ago, Bae said:

Here it is. Bae mentioned Floopy being an OG, so if said person is not loaded down with work, or the pretending thereof, you could always ask them.

I've been here about a year, and it's been a damn interesting ride so far.

:lenny:

Edited by PB-n-J

GIF.gif

37c6a160ff76e7ef7db4db7df0d50dc3.png

9d668bb6162aaa048432fe2935d30458.png

129ef22cb8471b6c808a1ce582f493aa.png

7f018283383ed2d1d0bd4cafeb1e87ac.png

bce96f456cff8113e7d9e5c2c6f65fff.png

v1.png