Leks

pc boots and shutsdown instantly

Posted  Edited by Leks

Hello, I am upgrading my computer and I bought a new case, power supply and cpu cooler.

Currently my build is:

Case: Nox Hummer MC
MOBO: Asu p5g41t-m LX
CPU: intel 2 quad q6600 2.4ghz
RAM:2x Corsair Vengeance ddr3 1600mhz
PSU: Nox Hummer 80+ Bronze 650W semi modular
GPU: MSI Gtx 950 Armor 2x 2g gddr5
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120v v.2

I have 2 frontal fans, the back slot has the radiator and I also have a fan on top. 

Ok so I've been having a couple issues with this.
First of all, my PSU has a 8pin CPU atx cable, while my motherboard has only 4pin socket. I've googled regarding this and it's ok if Ileave the 4 extra hanging in the air. 

More issues i've ran into were: I boot up my pc, and suddenly it shuts down out of nowhere. After it shuts down first time, whenever I start it, lights go on for 1 sec and shuts down. If I let it lay for some time, without touching, it stays up for more time. What is wrong with my build? 

I really need help because I have loads of work to do and this is a massive drawback!!!

thanks in advance!

here is video

also ignore the dogs in the background this was recorded with phone

p.s. i posted this on multiple technical websites in hopes i can receive help faster

p.s.s also currently uploading a vid to youtube to show you whats happening 

Edited by Leks

yeah.gif

Just now, Leks said:

the psu is brand new tho.

I will reply after i test it

On my first build my psu wouldn't work. it would short out after like 10 seconds. Sent it back and got a new one.

1 minute ago, denros said:

On my first build my psu wouldn't work. it would short out after like 10 seconds. Sent it back and got a new one.

the thing is, the psu starts, fans work etc, cpu cooler blue light goes on everything works, the initial beep is there

but Idk what the f##k is wrong with it! I am very afraid it is my motherboard, because a new one will require me to buy a new cpu and ram which is like 500$ in total

yeah.gif

Posted  Edited by Ghost_Assassin

Check your connections in your computer. Maybe there's a lose wire, something is not connected correctly, or possibly a short somewhere.

You can try a number of things...

Testing one ram stick at a time and see if it restarts.

Disconnect any USB connections (mouse, keyboard) and see if computer restarts.

Maybe the bios on the motherboard needs to be updated to a better version.

Maybe the case has a faulty power button or reset button.

Edited by Ghost_Assassin

spacer.png

Posted  Edited by Leks
47 minutes ago, Ghost_Assassin said:

Check your connections in your computer. Maybe there's a lose wire, something is not connected correctly, or possibly a short somewhere.

first thing I did.

Here's a list of thing's I've done:

- removed ram and cleaned the connections with ethanol
- removed gpu and tried booting without gpu with vga cable connected to my motherboard

- checked if frontal pannel cables are connected correctly

- removed all sata cables from my motherboard

- removed all cables from my power supply and put them back again

- tried booting with only 1 ram stick inserted, in the first slot

None of those worked so far

NOTE: My psu turns on and runs perfectly fine (fan spins etc).

Things I will try out next:

- remove water cooler and put it back in

- remove power supply completely and put it back in from scratch

If you have any suggestions regarding this, please post below

Thanks

Edited by Leks

yeah.gif

Posted  Edited by SwegBuster

Try only running one stick of ram in it. When I installed my new motherboard and ram and shit, I forgot to do it and I had the same problems. Luckily I had a error code display on my motherboard.

I forgot what it does but, it resets something if you have it right.

Edited by SwegBuster

swegbuster1.png

Just now, SwegBuster said:

Try only running one stick of ram in it. When I installed my new motherboard and ram and shit, I forgot to do it and I had the same problems. Luckily I had a error code display on my motherboard.

I get no errors whatsoever when booting.

Totally forgot to add that I've also tried to boot with the ram on the first slot only.

edited. thanks for reminding

yeah.gif

It could be a bad psu but it could also be you don't have enough wattage on your psu. Try unplugging your lights, mouse, and keyboard. then see if it boots up. If it does you need a new psu because it doesn't have enough wattage to support everything. But if its not that its definetly faulty ram or psu.

Another stupid question but did you install your OS?

1 hour ago, FreeZ said:

It could be a bad psu but it could also be you don't have enough wattage on your psu. Try unplugging your lights, mouse, and keyboard. then see if it boots up. If it does you need a new psu because it doesn't have enough wattage to support everything. But if its not that its definetly faulty ram or psu.

Another stupid question but did you install your OS?

650W is overkill for my system. Yes, I have an OS on my SSD.

the problem is the pc shuts down without warning whatsoever, not that it doesn't boot.

yeah.gif

Posted  Edited by Ghost_Assassin

When did this issue first start occurring? Was it just today?

Was the computer working before? Did you apply new updates or replace anything?

You can try logging into the bios immediately after turning on the computer, setting everything to default, and restarting computer to see if it does anything.

You could also try resetting the motherboard CMOS. You can either remove the CMOS battery or use a jumper.

http://www.howtogeek.com/131623/how-to-clear-your-computers-cmos-to-reset-bios-settings/

Edited by Ghost_Assassin

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Ghost_Assassin said:

When did this issue first start occurring? Was it just today?

Was the computer working before? Did you apply new updates or replace anything?

You can try logging into the bios immediately after turning on the computer, setting everything to default, and restarting computer to see if it does anything.

You could also try resetting the motherboard CMOS. You can either remove the CMOS battery or use a jumper.

http://www.howtogeek.com/131623/how-to-clear-your-computers-cmos-to-reset-bios-settings/

Was working before changing parts. I did reset the CMOS. Don't have time to get into BIOS either. I will rebuild everything from scratch tomorrow. Tried using old PSU and it doesn't even boot lol probably plugged smth wrong. Will update 2morrow

yeah.gif

8 hours ago, Ghost_Assassin said:

What is the status of your problem? Were you able to solve it?

Thank you for your concern.

No, sadly, I was not able to. But I found the issue.
I've sent my Power Supply back so they could test it, and it's not faulty. They even compared it side by side with the same model to see if the wattage output on each cable was the same, and it was. so that's good, because it's new equipment.

The issue is on the motherboard. I really don't know how it happened but it seems like a very credible issue. The pins on the place where you insert the CPU, it seems one of the was slightly damaged when I was cleaning there. 

What solutions do I have?

Purchase a motherboard for my q6600? No. That's a waste of money. Not only is that cpu no longer supported (http://prntscr.com/cd9m13), but also purchasing a new motherboard when I will be upgrading cpu no matter what doesn't seem very smart.

I already have everything except the i7 6700, for which I am saving money.

I have managed to purchase a nice b150 motherboard and ddr4 ram on sale so I'm quite happy about it:

- MSI B150 Gaming M3 (red)

- 2x Gskill Ripjaws V ddr4 2133MHz 4GB (also red)

Both of these products for 126,80€ in total.

yeah.gif