FireStarter

cl_showpos

Posted  Edited by FireStarter

With the February 1st, 2022 CS-GO update Valve has made the indicator, that shows player name, position and velocity in the top left corner of the screen (toggled via "cl_showpos" console command) unavailable in multiplayer by default.

According to the Release notes (https://blog.counter-strike.net/index.php/2022/02/37002/), cl_showpos is now cheat protected.

When you use the "cl_showpos 1" command in the console on the GFL server, you get the following error message in the console: "Can't use cheat cvar cl_showpos in multiplayer, unless the server has sv_cheats set to 1".

Can you, please, unlock the command on the server?

An example picture of the indicator that I'm talking about: https://i.imgur.com/281EjdZ.jpg.

Edited by FireStarter

Posted  Edited by lce

It is not possible to allow clients to use a single client cheat command without also allowing all other client cheats commands (otherwise mat_autoexposure_max_multiplier could be provided to clients as a nice night vision instead of the ugly green colorcorrection some servers use), and allowing every client cheat is obviously undesirable.  The most that could be done is to have a plugin display the information in something like the hud or as game_text (both of which are already used to display other information typically, which would mean compromising on that instead), but as ZE isn't a movement focused gamemode, there probably isn't that much of a benefit for adding an extra load on the server to display speed.

If you simply want your angle and coordinates that used to be provided by cl_showpos 1 instead of current speed, the console command getpos can still provide you that information.

To sum it all up: Fuck Valve 🙂

Edited by lce

Posted  Edited by Dini

It's not that hard for cl_showpos to be re-enabled to specific flags btw

Edited by Dini

1 hour ago, Dini said:

It's not that hard for cl_showpos to be re-enabled to specific flags btw

Would you mind sharing how it would be possible to only allow this command, when you can't strip the cheat flag from client commands (can only strip it from server cvars)? If you mean faking sv_cheats to a non-zero value with SendConVarValue, that allows for a whole host of other undesirable commands to be available as well, and as far as I know of, that is the only way to allow clients to use client commands with the cheat flag (unless of course it also has the SERVER_CAN_EXECUTE flag like r_screenoverlay).

Just now, lce said:

Would you mind sharing how it would be possible to only allow this command, when you can't strip the cheat flag from client commands (can only strip it from server cvars)? If you mean faking sv_cheats to a non-zero value with SendConVarValue, that allows for a whole host of other undesirable commands to be available as well, and as far as I know of, that is the only way to allow clients to use client commands with the cheat flag (unless of course it also has the SERVER_CAN_EXECUTE flag like r_screenoverlay).

I'm not someone acknowledged in coding but I know @Infra mentioned it being easily possible if wanted. Though for surf it has no affect really to have it

1 hour ago, Dini said:

I'm not someone acknowledged in coding but I know @Infra mentioned it being easily possible if wanted. Though for surf it has no affect really to have it

was mistaken hehe, Ice is correct

Discord: Infra#0001 | Steam: /id/infra- | GitHub: /1zc

Executive Director & CS:GO Division Leader          

Server Manager of CS:GO KZ

image_10.png