myPHART

My Book (incomplete)

Hi guys. So I've been writing for a little, and I don't know where I would put this, so I guess the Art thread is appropriate. Books are technically a work of art, yes?

Anyways, here's Chapter One of my incomplete book. Hope you enjoy, and leave some feedback. If it comes out weird, I'm sorry, but I copy-pasted this from my phone.

------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------

CHAPTER 1

Images. Strange, pulsating flashes of light came into his line of sight. All of a sudden, a form became visible among the lights. It was clearly a person, but whether it was a he or she, he couldn’t tell. Then all of a sudden, the form solidified in his vision, and he recognized who the form was. It was --

Seth woke up in a cold sweat. He had that dream again. He had been having that dream for about 3 days now, and he couldn’t explain it. The only difference between the three days he dreamed of it was that it would last longer; the dream would show him more than the previous one. First it was the lights, then the blurry form of a person. But now he was able to see the person more clearly, but the image was still blurry, so Seth couldn’t decipher who the form was. When it came to strange events that confused him, such as the recurring dream, he normally muttered to himself about it, trying to find out its meaning. So it was no surprise to his mother when she came into his room and found Seth talking to himself, while he picked out what to wear for school today. Clearing her throat, she finally had Seth’s attention, who had picked out a pair of jeans, a light green t-shirt, and a brown hooded sweater.
“Good morning, honey,” she said, as she walked into his room. “Ready to go to school?” 
Seth attempted to speak, but found that his voice was a bit croaky, so he coughed a little, shook off the morning grogginess, and replied with a “Yes Mom.” 
She smiled, and said, “That’s good. There’s some eggs on the counter for you when you’re ready,” as she left the room. 
Seth groaned as he put on his clothes. The yolk was probably raw. He never liked uncooked yolk; he preferred them when the eggs were cooked through. They just had a different taste that he liked. Still complaining silently, he put on his shirt, and went downstairs. 
Walking up to the counter, he tested the yolk with his finger, and to his surprise, found they were cooked. This was a change. But then, a lot of things had changed ever since his father walked out. Seth gritted his teeth at the mere thought of him; he didn’t understand the reason why his father even left. Was it him? His mother? Did he find someone else that he loved more? Seth would never know, but he didn’t care about that. His father was dirt to him now, nothing more. 
Digging through the kitchen drawers, he found a fork, and ate the eggs with gusto, savoring the fact that they had been cooked the way he liked it. After he put the dishes in the sink, Seth picked up his backpack and a textbook he needed for class. He never really liked school. It was, to him, full of narcissistic, close-minded idiots obsessed with being the most popular, the most athletic, the most whatever, but it didn't matter. He was able to ignore them, most of the time. There were always some exceptions to his belief; always, there was a person to whom he connected with. They always left, in the end, however. Whether it was because they had to move, started hanging out with others, or just plain avoided him, it was always the same. They left him, and he forgot about them, plain and simple. Sighing, Seth picked up his keys and went outside. His faithful motorcycle was waiting for him right there, as it always was. Riding it was one of the pleasures of his life, even if it meant going to one of the places he hated most. Inserting the key into the ignition, he started it up, waved goodbye to his mom, and drove off.

Whenever Seth was driving, his mind would often drift off, thinking of other things instead of focusing on the road. It was a bad habit, but nothing had happened to him so far, so Seth was okay with it, but he always kept enough focus on the road, just in case. These past three days, including today, were an exception, however. The dreams, the strange, life-like dreams captivated his thoughts. It was the only thing he could focus on. He was still thinking about it when a car suddenly came into his field of vision. Seth snapped out of his reverie and slowed down immediately, a little annoyed to have been distracted from his thoughts, but thankful he had been lucky enough to see the car in time. Looking over at the driver, he recognized, to his joy, the girl he had a crush on since he met her in second grade: Kara Matthews, the most beautiful girl he had ever seen in his life. It had been a while since he had seen her, due to her recently losing her     grandfather. Seth wished he could hold her, comfort her and say that it was okay. But, he said to himself, you have to stay tied to reality, to not lose yourself in your dreams.

Sighing as he approached the school parking lot, he found his favorite parking spot open, and took it. After setting his old lock on his motorcycle to ensure no one takes it, Seth hoisted his bag over his shoulder and set off for his first class.
But even as he made his way to his seat in classroom 2B, he couldn’t take his mind off the lights. Something about them was captivating to him, the way they ebbed and flowed through his dreaming mind. The intricate patterns, the dancing motions, they were --

“Richards!” The sound of someone calling his last name forcefully shook him out of his inner reverie, as Ms. Persons called his name in the attendance list.
“Here,” he quickly said, and she continued on to the last 5 people on attendance.        
English class. He always found English to be mind-numbingly boring. The number of books that Seth had read     over the years was probably five times larger than the average human intelligence, which meant a LOT of books. Something about reading calmed Seth’s mind, as he lost himself in the fantastic worlds that the authors spun out for him. It was amazing, how much he could delve into a story, spending several hours imagining what it would be like if HE was inserted into the book itself. How many things he could do, the spectacular sights to behold, the --

“Alright class. We’re starting on Chapter 14, with the works of Shakespeare,” said Ms. Persons, as she scribbled some words on the whiteboard. Slightly annoyed to have been disturbed from his thoughts again, Seth pulled out the weighty English textbook that was required for the class. There was a ruffling sound throughout the whole classroom as everyone else pulled their textbooks from their packs. Again, Seth’s mind drifted to the dreams. What was so fascinating about them, he asked himself? Pushing them from his mind, he set his focus on Ms. Persons, who was assigning a project that would be due once they finished their studies on Shakespeare. 
This is what I get for taking AP English, I guess, Seth thought to himself, as he collectively groaned along with the rest of the class. But at least the project doesn’t look that complicated. If I focus enough on it, I can probably have it finished before the rest of these guys, he thought, as he glanced at the project requirements. Then, as he continued to read the project instructions, he realized that it would be a partner project. Seth groaned again. He hated partner projects. It normally ended up with him taking on most of the workload because his partner was either too lazy, didn’t know what the hell they were doing, or got sick and couldn’t do anything. Compounded with the fact that Ms. Persons was assigning said partners, and this project would be an extreme annoyance to Seth. Muttering obscenities under his breath, Seth waited for his partner to be assigned to him.
“Seth, you’re going to be partnered with Kara.” Startled, Seth glanced to his right at his partner, who gave a small smile and waved at him. Now this changed things. He had completely forgotten that he shared his first class with Kara. Now Seth couldn’t wait to do this project, the opportunity to get closer to her was there for the taking. Seth couldn’t believe his luck.
The day passed by quickly after that. Seth’s excitement over the partner project with Kara was only matched with his self-apprehension. Seth didn’t want to come off like your typical jackass, but neither did he want to come off as a recluse. Seth wanted to appear as if he was the perfect guy, then he caught himself.
You’re thinking just like the narcissists that you hate, dude. Just be yourself, he thought. These thoughts calmed him down. No need to try to be cool or anything, just be yourself, that was Seth’s approach to social interactions.
It doesn’t help if you were a socially awkward idiot though, said his other half.

Sighing, Seth looked at the clock. 2:45, school was over. The bell rung, signifying class dismissal. Seth left his last class in a hurry, and headed over to his motorcycle. To his surprise, he found Kara standing there, obviously waiting for him. Seth froze for a second, unsure of what to say.
“Seth?” she said, as she walked up to him. Shit, he thought. His brain had no idea what he was going to say, but his mouth did the talking for him. 
“Hey, what’s up?”, he said before he could stop himself.
“It’s nothing,” she said. “But we ARE supposed to be project partners, so how are we going to communicate?”, she said, laughing a little.
Seth chuckled. “I don’t really mind how,” he said. “Just as long as we have some way of talking to each other about this thing.”
Kara smiled, then pulled out her phone. “Here, make a contact on my phone, then I’ll probably send you a text or something like that,” handing it over to him. 
Seth obliged, putting down his phone number and saving the contact under his name. “There you are, make sure you text me please. I don’t want to fail this thing near the end of the school year, my mom would kill me,” he said.
“Don’t worry,” Kara told him. “I’d hate to let down my grandfather after promising him to do the best I can in everything I do.”
Silence fell over both of them. Seth wanted to say something, but was unsure of what to say. Finally, he worked up the courage to ask something. “How have you been holding up?”, he asked quietly. “After your grandpa’s death, I mean.”
Kara was silent for a little. Then she said, “It’s hard, you know? He was there almost every day. He practically raised me when my dad was at work and my mom was at school. You could say he was my second dad, but people would probably make a face at that, given the political things happening right now.”
Seth could see her starting to become emotional, tears welling up in her eyes. He braced himself, then put a hand on her shoulder. She didn’t push away, so Seth kept his hand there and said, “Look. Your grandpa must be proud of you. Just keep going, and remember him through your actions.” She looked at him then, and unexpectedly gave him a hug. Seth was taken aback at first, but then allowed her to embrace him.
“Thank you,” she said. “It’s been awhile since anyone has said anything encouraging to me. Apart from my parents of course,” she said with a small smile. Letting go, she then made her excuses to leave, and waved goodbye.
Seth simply stood there, amazed that all of that happened in the course of a day. After waving goodbye, he turned towards his motorcycle, removed the old lock, turned the ignition, and left, the events of today still simmering in his mind.

Looks great, dude! There are a few sentences I would personally word differently, but I found it interesting.

JerryBomb.png.e376b34f3abbf909e911ca905e69e9b5.png.148c6b4cfc47ce26dbdfacd59a6ef633.pngCreative Team of GFL.

That's it.

Achievements