Roy

GS06 Overloaded

Hi all,

The Situation + Servers Affected

I just wanted to address an issue with one of our machines. Our GS06 machine is currently highly overloaded. At the moment, the following servers are ran on it:

b_560_95_1.png

b_560_95_1.png

b_560_95_1.png

b_560_95_1.png

b_560_95_1.png

b_560_95_1.png

b_560_95_1.png

During peak times, our machine gets to 99+% CPU which results in severe performance issues. With that said, hyper-threading is also disabled on this machine. Typically, this wouldn't result in even poorer performance, but hyper-threading does help machines that are overloaded.

What Needs To Be Done

Talks With Hosting Provider

So, I've been trying to talk to our hosting provider (GMCHosting). We've been trying to aim for a new machine that includes the i7-9700K overclocked to 5.1 GHz. This would be the best solution due to the extra core count along with the insane single-threaded performance (5.1 GHz overclock? That's crazy!) and I was told around two months ago there would be machines available at this time. However, after requesting an update, I was told they are putting all their resources into their new UK location and they have no ETA on when there will be new dedicated machines available in Dallas, TX. I even said a lower-end machine would be acceptable just to balance out the current load (e.g. the Intel i7-7700K or Intel i7-4790K) and unfortunately, unless if another customer gives up a machine with the Intel i7-7700K, we're out of luck.

Yesterday, I talked to our hosting provider and asked if we could even move one of our IPs to the shared hosting packages until a dedicated server was available. He said this is possible but the highest shared hosting package is currently 'sold out' (with our servers, this is probably the package we'd prefer). This has been a frustrating experience because I guess we're used to other hosting providers such as NFO and OVH that have machines available right on the spot. Not having to wait months just to get a new dedicated machine.

So I guess either we can try a lower-end shared hosting package or wait this issue out until more machines are available. I have other possible solutions listed below.

Looking For Other Hosting Providers

@Ben is on the lookout for new hosting providers and he has done an incredible job at receiving offers from hosting providers. This is more of a complicated process because we're very picky with our hosting providers. The biggest thing is we need good (D)DoS protection and high-end CPUs regarding single-threaded performance. Trying to get these machines at a reasonable price can be difficult. We have a lot of options but we're still asking questions and unfortunately, most hosting providers only have 20 gbps (D)DoS protection (in which, we will get null-routed constantly with if we host successful servers under). My fear would be if we do get null-routed so often, they'd ask us to leave (it has happened in 2012 before we went on our big run with NFO). But that said, we don't want null-routes in the first place ;) 

If we do end up getting a new hosting provider, I'd like to move some servers off of the current GS06 machine (ones preferably lowest on population) to the new dedicated machine. This would result in an IP change but we can probably setup a redirection on the old servers since we'll still have the IP/Port.

Lowering The Resources Our Servers Use

The next thing we may want to try is lowering the resources our servers consume. This can be either by optimizing our servers more or lowering things such as the tick-rate. For example, our CS:GO Surf Timer server is at 85 tick but technically, we could probably get away with it at 64 tick. Not saying this needs to happen, but it could help if we have no other options. We run a lot of intense servers on this machine. It's no wonder we're getting pegged at 99% CPU during our peaks. Although I'd hate it, we can also lower the player count on some servers until we find out a solution. Though, that isn't needed I guess and I'm not going to blame anyone if they don't do it, lol.

Conclusion

That's it. It's unfortunate we're running into this issue. I will continue to talk to our hosting provider and post some possible solutions here.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reply.

Thank you for your time.

Moving this to public since I'd like everyone to be aware of this situation. I made the post quickly so I apologize for any mistakes (I have other things to do today, but I just wanted to address this first).

Thank you.

Posted  Edited by Ben - Edit Reason: damn grammarly · Hidden
Hidden

The only host I've found that comes with 100+GBPS DDoS protection is SparkedHost. 

The specs are:

E5-1650v2-64 GB - Dallas

6 cores / 12 threads 

64 GB DDR3 ECC RAM 

250 GB SSD (Upgradeable to 500GB SSD for extra $15/mo)

100 Gbps DDoS Protection 

15 TB Transfer @ 1 Gbps 

/29 IPv4 included 
1-2 day setup time

This machine would be good for medium-ranged servers. However, they have one stock remaining for this kind. Additionally, I've talked to other providers and they've told me that increasing DDoS protection would be fairly pricey. One of them has told me that it would be $40/10GB.

Edited by Ben
damn grammarly

76561198043643390.png

Hidden

Just my opinion:

On 2/24/2019 at 7:32 PM, Ben said:

E5-1650v2

Is a older non-overclockable 3.50ghz/3,90ghz(boost) cpu with 6 cores (12 threads with hyper threading). It doesn't make sense (for me) to switch to this kind of server, because the 4790k has more single core performance with less cores/threads.

On 2/25/2019 at 4:51 PM, Bara said:

Just my opinion:

Is a older non-overclockable 3.50ghz/3,90ghz(boost) cpu with 6 cores (12 threads with hyper threading). It doesn't make sense (for me) to switch to this kind of server, because the 4790k has more single core performance with less cores/threads.

If we were to purchase this machine, we wouldn't be putting our higher-slot servers on it. Instead, it'd be primarily used to host our mid-range game servers and even out the load on our current machine in Dallas (we would not get rid of the Dallas machine with GMCHosting).

We still plan to purchase the Intel i7-9700K once it becomes available. However, at this point, it's sounding like it won't be available for a while.

Thanks.