Joshy

Multiple Roles

I think it all depends on a couple of things as for when it becomes too much. 

• The amount of free time a person has. 

Fact of the matter is that's what it comes down to the most. During these pandemic times when you have a lot more time to kill at home, it's not as much of an issue for a lot of people. Speaking for myself at the moment holding the manager, division leader and director position, I can handle it without that many hiccups at the moment simply because I work from home at my own time, and aside from the odd army exercise I don't have much else going on. 

• The weight of the roles themselves.

While I do believe that a person should not take on too many "major" roles as that's just an easy way to get overwhelmed, it's not really fair to just look at how many badges someone has and determining "oh, this person is just all over the place. No way they can handle this all properly" as some roles just don't require that much constant effort. Speaking for myself, yes. I do have three roles that are quite heavy, which I'm aware of. But I have a support system in people that help me in all of them, and a backup plan in case I do get overwhelmed and can't handle it all anymore. I'm not the only Surf Timer manager, and I'm not the only one that looks out for CS:GO as a whole, which definitely takes some weight off my back. It really does wonders when you find people you trust to support you.

Former CS:GO Surf Timer Manager. (2014-2016) (2019-2021)

Former CS:GO Division Leader. (2014-2016) (2019-2021)

Former GFL Director of Divisions. (July 2020-October 2021)

I skimmed through and it looks like a lot of people have the same idea as me, so I might be regurgitating a bit. But realistically, putting any type of number limit on the table is pointless. It depends on the role, what the responsibilities are, the person, what's going on in their life at the time, etc. The Directors and the other higherups that oversee these people need to keep tabs on them and recognize when they're slacking in certain areas. Then they need to address it with them and figure out a solution, which would probably end up in them dropping a role or two in most cases. It'd also be completely valid for whomever to reject an application because they think the applicant is putting too much on their plate or that they're going to burnout super quick and lose interest. It's entirely case-by-case, no real point in putting any sort of official number cap on it imo - just keep an eye on them like what I'd assume is already being done.

1 role is too much for me, just look at how Breach went

“I was so good at being a kid, and so terrible at being whatever I was now.”
― John Green, Turtles All the Way Down

Achievements