Joshy

Multiple Roles

Please do not use names!

Updates have been very polarizing and it looks partially related to this.  I wanted to have some constructive discussion about this.  Normally something like this would be a secret thread (a long time ago that is), but you guys should have a say what you want for the community you joined.

What are your thoughts about having multiple roles?  When does it become too much and why is it bad?

To play the Devil's advocate I can tell why it would look good.  When I'm at work in real life a lot of people join 1-2 projects maximum and they put everything into it.  The real superstars work on 4-5 high profile projects, and they are usually the runner up for promotions if they do a good job.  Their applications look really good.

If you wanted to draw the line somewhere... a cap... how many roles should be the maximum and what should we do if people want to switch roles or do more for the community, or what should we do if we want to make exceptions for people?

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

I think around like 7 or less. Though, I think it would really depend on what they have applied for. If it's for instance Admin Applications in multiple divisions than I'd understand a certain limit to them, as maintaining and being active on all the servers you staff for in different games would be tough. 

1 hour ago, Joshy said:

What are your thoughts about having multiple roles?

I see nothing wrong with it;

1 hour ago, Joshy said:

When does it become too much and why is it bad?

When it starts to make your work fall behind. 

76561198048327544.png

@Ash-'s opinion on gmod: 

4smalUvk.png
image.png.c3ced03940ca3f9bff0b8c6b1b425d4f.png

Tbh it's dependant on what roles you have and what your personal limit is. Some roles are more taxing than others, and some can handle more work than others, though I would say most peoples limit would be around 5-7 roles.

1023626940_forumsignature.thumb.png.6378b8a403e329b9a4bf21267af67896.png
Made by @Clavers

Coming from a person who has quite a few roles, I do not see a problem with it unless the intentions of the person applying for the positions are using the roles as a way to boost their ego or image in the community to seem above others or more important. Other things to look for is if they are collecting these roles and once they are in the position, they are very inactive or do not participate within their teams/divisions. These are all things that should be looked into before accepting someone who already has quite a few roles. GFL was the first community I've ever been too where there were so many cool positions/teams that I could join. I've never been in such a big community and so many of the positions here are things I am very much interested in both online and in real life. Personally there are still a lot of things I want to try out in this community cause I truly enjoy being here and helping out, especially since I do not have much to do, with me being in high school and being home most of the time due to COVID. In the end my answer would be that it should be based on a case by case basis. The persons behavior should be watched to see if they show any of these red flags that I have stated above.

One last thing that I would like to add is, I don't like how some members seem to target specific people within the community who have a lot of roles. When you ask certain people why they are upset, their responses seems to never be because they don't do their job well or that they are inactive. It's just "too many roles is bad". I don't doubt that there have been some people in the past who have used the roles in a bad way, but I don't think the people here who are very good at what they do in this community should be targeted or harassed. 

Achievements

Depends on what roles you have.

If you are a manager, your limit should be 4-5 because sometimes, you will fall behind and will forget about your server when working on other stuff. Some people can handle all of them, but one day they will fall behind. You want to focus on your server the most because that's what attracts the players. Being a good manager is more important than being a good, idk "writing team member" or something like that. Most people here joined GFL through servers, the first impression matters the most. But hey, if you can manage 7-8 different roles, higher up and lower, good for you, just be careful. Also, if your a manager, then I wouldn't apply for mod team because you already have these perms, that to me shows that you want an extra role. I'll admit, at first I wanted different roles because I wanted to be involved with many things and know what was going on, but I realized it was too much to handle. Now, if I became a manager, I would take on 1 or 2 more roles, IF I had spare time. 

jitticus

I remember reading a quote - I can't remember who said it and where it was, but it would somewhat be relevant to this question. 

"It's okay to apply for another job as long as it doesn't cause negative performance on the current job" 

Basically I think it's fine to have a multiple roles as long as it doesn't take up your online time or cause negative effect on your real life. Most of our teams doesn't require a lot of real activity. I believe I understand why people says that it's not good to have a lot of roles, usually because it would seem to look like it's a "power grab". 

in short - realistically, without people thinking about you as a power grab, you can safety get about 3-4 roles at same time. 

76561198043643390.png

I feel like one or two primary roles (like Director, DL, SM, Team Leader, Server Admin) with one or two auxiliary roles (most team member positions) is probably a good place to be for me personally, but I guess it varies from person to person.

71CFA5EE-923C-4740-ACF4-508B753C9AD7.png.92a0d40c0fa7773f71fea2453f581d16.png

(signature made by @Kaylode)

Previously known as Xy.

Twitter ❤️Ko-Fi ❤️Github

IMG_0248.jpg

ben_mixed_opinions.png

2 hours ago, Joshy said:

Their applications look really good.

My gmod scprp admin applications looked very good when I was a power hungry 11 year old.

It all depends on the person. I am a Server Admin, GFX TL, Social Media TL, Council Member, and Discord Moderator and I also tend to help out with a lot of Events. So that’s 5/6 right there for me and I handle them all perfectly fine. If you handle all of the positions well there is no issue. 

Director of Divisions and Physion Unturned Division Leader

amongus_AdobeExpress.gif

xQc on GFL Surf 7/16/22

I believe 5 roles is a good cap. If you are a Server Manager, I would advise against going over 3-4 roles due to the workload you'll have. Personally, I do not plan on going above 3 roles. Having 2 roles is comfy and allows me invest more time into hobbies, relationships, school, and work. 

Achievements

2 hours ago, Serenity said:

Personally there are still a lot of things I want to try out in this community cause I truly enjoy being here and helping out, especially since I do not have much to do

^

2 hours ago, Serenity said:

"too many roles is bad". I don't doubt that there have been some people in the past who have used the roles in a bad way, but I don't think the people here who are very good at what they do in this community should be targeted or harassed. 

^

1 hour ago, Ben said:

Basically I think it's fine to have a multiple roles as long as it doesn't take up your online time or cause negative effect on your real life.

^

NOT TO MENTION LOL, but I don’t have a lot of jobs here. In rust, I realistically only manage 1 specific server and have staff to administrate on the other servers. Sure, I do have senior admin on all the Rust servers but that doesn’t mean I dedicate myself to each and every one of those servers. We have motivated staff for each and every Rust server, which would make us all working together and lifting work off of all of our shoulders. 
The writing team leader. This is a very low-maintenance job that had very few people to keep in place as well. I do have very exciting plans but nothing that will lead this job to be considering “over-whelming.”

Discord moderation. This isn’t a huge hassle right now as well. A lot of you may not think the same but answering pings at the best of your ability isn’t so bad !! 💀

I wasn’t going to say anything among other matters.. just quote everything I was thought was 👌👌👌👌👌👌 because I’m on my phone and responding on it literally kills me internally. I digress, 

People say that having too many rules or occupations with GFL is something that will always end up being negative or the person‘s intentions are to just have the titles without actually pursuing the work. They might think, how could someone have that much time to do it, they’re obviously posers seeking for attention. Dude. Look, I get it, there’s been bad apples in the past but before you start jumping to conclusions about it we mean well or not, our time availability, our capability, then you should really look into the factor more. Because Honestly, when I hear shit like this, I tend to keep my cool but it does piss me off because people really do need to just speak for themselves. It’s almost like they forget how much time some people may have on their hands because all of her in real life jobs, sports, etc got chopped in half, and/or demolished due to Covid for the past 8 months and counting. For me, I never had a lot of shit going on in real life and a lot of my time was still open but even the little things that I did on my free time, those were canceled as well.

To be honest on a whole ‘nother level, I sometimes consider myself a workaholic. Not for many common reasons though, just for the fact that my anxiety gets so purging and crippling that it initially causes me to do.. not such good things to help cope. Thankfully, I found a better coping mechanism with all of it and that would be to stay busy, get my mind off shit, all by help the gaming community I have the most passion for. It’s perfect because there is no face-to-face contact which would usually send my anxiety sky-rocketing, and very little voice calls. So the second I do my best, offer my best assistance, I get shot in the face for your guys’ comments and unnecessary remarks and it never really bothered me and it still doesn’t but when other people bring up the idea- I have nothing to do but agree. The fact that everyone that’s doing their best here is doing it voluntarily, and out of the goodness of their heart, therefore, you really have no place to go and judge them for how much time they put in the community and claim that it’s all for corruption.

hopefully that makes sense..

Posted  Edited by JGuary55

The people who I think are "mad" about it are the "ogs" the ones that been here the longest and been through it all, I feel like they are not "mad" but dont like when people have hella roles. the reason I think is bc before it was frowned upon for having alot AND you would get denied for having alot so now today them seeing people with  hella roles is kinda like a wtf why? (taking a edumacated guess xD) 

TDLR What I said probably didnt make any sense lol but back then it was frowned upon and you would get denied for having so many roles so seeing people with roles is a weird and a wtf thing.

Edited by JGuary55

image.jpeg.c5698c2d3670a49d660e08b65bcee65a.jpeg

1 hour ago, JGuary55 said:

The people who I think are "mad" about it are the "ogs" the ones that been here the longest and been through it all, I feel like they are not "mad" but dont like when people have hella roles. the reason I think is bc before it was frowned upon for having alot AND you would get denied for having alot so now today them seeing people with  hella roles is kinda like a wtf why? (taking a edumacated guess xD) 

What I said probably didnt make any sense lol but back then it was frowned upon and you would get denied for having so many roles.

This is true.

jitticus

1 hour ago, JGuary55 said:

TDLR What I said probably didnt make any sense lol but back then it was frowned upon and you would get denied for having so many roles so seeing people with roles is a weird and a wtf thing.

Been here since early 2014 and this is true to an extent.

Also why are we investing so much of our time into a gaming community? 

Achievements

I mean back in the day admins were admin on every GFL server, we just didn't make shiny badges to show off on the forums for each server. This seems like a lot of hoopla to me.

Achievements