Ben

Immortality - Would You Take It?

Posted  Edited by Ben - Edit Reason: formatting

Lately, I've been researching and looking up immortality and other mysticism/legendary stuff. What makes me thinking the most is about immortality. It is often (to me) recognized as a curse. Let's imagine this: you did something immoral, and a celestial cursed you to live eternity and beyond end of time. Would you accept it or not? Before you answer this, consider this - there are pros and cons. 

The pros is that you get to see how our technology develops, what's behind this century, and other stuff. You never get to die, especially from diseases and other sort of stuff. 

The cons? You can still feel pain, and the pain renew itself the moment you're used to it. You can get insane, be mad and other stuff. Humanity can also de-evolve and be filled with evilness and other darkest things. You just float in darkness forever. 

Now - would you accept the fact that you're cursed or not? Why? Why not? 

Edited by Ben
formatting

76561198043643390.png

What if you don't go insane? Sure you'll probably get bored and most likely will go insane after doing everything there is to do in multiple life times, but I think it would be worth it.

I'd mostly use it to be the guidance the human race would need after being alive for so long, giving people information to help them flourish. 

Maybe play as an evil mastermind that really isn't evil and just toy with the Human Race? Though getting locked up for eternity until somehow you end up escaping would suck.

I don't know, I'm just rambling lol

Pretty easy yes for me, the sole reason being my curiosity about both the depths of our oceans and the endlessness of space is quite high. It actually bothers me sometimes knowing I probably won't live long enough to see the bulk of the interesting things we discover, mostly from space. It'd also be interesting to see how things develop in general.. it'd be cool to see if humans ever become a more advanced civilization and colonize a multitude of planets, if we discover alternate realities, time travel... what the hell is inside a black hole? So many possibilities and questions left unanswered and anyone reading this will undoubtedly be dead before we understand or see any of it. I'm so intrigued by these topics that I'd surely endure lifetimes of boredom to see what happens. Plus, you're not constrained by your inevitable death, giving you plenty of time to explore the world, learn new things, and really get the most out of life. Think about how much our lives we spent at school, only to get out and begin working a full-time job for the majority of our lives, to then be left with maybe 10-15 years of financial freedom and the ability to do things we enjoy.

The floating around in darkness for all of eternity does sound pretty terrible, but I can't really imagine what that'd be like, all I can imagine is how many great things would come from living forever. It does leave one big question unanswered though.. whether or not there's an afterlife and whether or not you could've spent the rest of eternity with your loved ones. That thought would probably haunt me forever.

Meant to respond to this when it was posted but got distracted.

Immortality, for a social thing like humans, would be forever suffering. You live longer than everyone you love, no matter what connections you make you live past them, and at some point you'll loose touch with your humanity. Sure you get to see all of the technological advancements and get to experience every major event since you gained immortality, but is that really worth it if you lose yourself. Is living forever worth never having a connection you won't outlast.

Though, if it was not your choice and you were cursed with immortality, I'd say just make the most of it. Do everything you can, make things, become a world leader, become a billionaire, work on projects that normally someone would perish before being able to accomplish. Avoid connections, you will someday loose your desire for one if you avoid them rather than pursue them. Focus on achievements, because you can legitimately do anything because you have the time to do everything. Invent fully immersive VR technology, create thousands of worlds to live in for years until you get bored and move on to the next. Immortality can be made to be a miracle, rather than a curse.

1023626940_forumsignature.thumb.png.6378b8a403e329b9a4bf21267af67896.png
Made by @Clavers

I wouldn't take it mainly due to the reasoning Blaze already gave. Humans are highly social creatures and having to watch all my loved ones pass away before me would absolutely crush me.

I wouldn't take it. 

The main reason I feel would be because of the people I love. I'd be the only one immortal. I would watch everyone die and be alone. Yes I could meet new people but eventually they would die too. I just feel like it would be an endless cycle with no end.

Achievements

I wouldn't take it bruh like imagine you get stabbed 573 times and when you get to the hospital and they gotta end your misery and snap your neck not knowing you're immortal. now you got stabbed 573 times and you have a broken neck AND you feel all that pain

Enchantment table.PNG

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't take it just because I'd be old as fuck and suffering for a long time afterwards. There'd most likely be a lot of pain and suffering if I did it. Plus, as @Serenity mentioned, I'd lose everyone around me and be alone, which would probably take too much of a toll on my mental health at that time, which might already be deteriorating.

-Brotherwolf