EJ.

Java Help

Hey everyone, I have a question to ask.

I am currently taking a class my college offers called CSI 2300, which is called Object-Oriented Computing. This class uses Java for it, and I have never used Java before in my life. The only language I've used is Visual Basic, for another programming class I had to take in my sophomore year of college.

To make matters worse, it is an accelerated, 8 week class, instead of our normal 16 week classes, because my academic advisor told me we only had this accelerated class available, and without passing this class I cannot further in my degree.

What is the best way to even learn Java? I'm trying Codecademy, but I'm struggling to remember the concepts. I can't afford to be fall behind in my degree because of one single class.

759110999_GFLSignature.png.5f98a0d75491ad7bc17aaf7a35c1f7bf.png

Thank you @AceOfSpadesMM for the signature! Very much appreciated.

Before I say anything, I am a senior in High School so I am not too experienced. Currently I take Honors Data Structures and Advance Programming which comes after AP Computer Science A (I took that last year). 

So the best way to learn Java for me personally is just through doing projects and using https://www.w3schools.com/java/default.asp for building a basic understanding.

Just doing projects and hands on work helped me the most. I learn from experience so if you can find some basic projects to complete, that would be good. 

I have some project ideas if you want to use them: Odd and Even Number Checker, and Prime Number Checker (These are pretty interesting). 

So yeah, just read up on W3 Schools (Not all of it, go one by one and try to check how far the class gets). Then try to work on some basic coding projects and you will learn from there.

Good luck.

jitticus

Posted  Edited by Joshy

I hope you may find my guides enjoyable 🙂 

If you have totally zero almost no experience programming at all, then I would recommend trying out my earlier guides (it's a series of 3-4 guides).  The earlier guides are in C, but a lot of the language and examples are easy to transcribe into Java almost copy and paste.

Edited by Joshy

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

Been an awfully long time since I've touched VB (luckily, haha), but I recall it being "somewhat" similar to Java in terms of object-oriented stuff, so you will probably catch on quite fast! In any case, best of luck with the course and if you ever need any help or have a question, please feel free to reach out to me either here or on Discord: Nick  🍌#6127. 😄

Wanna know what I am up to? Take a look at my personal Trello board or my cards on the Development Trello board!