Mould

Operator requirements question

Can anyone please tell me what the requirements are to be an operator? I'm having a growing interest to become one. Thank you for your time.

While I'm not the manager there, I can still speak for it. Since I run the CS:S RPG Surf, and the servers tend to shadow each other anyhow.
Generally, it's good to know the admin team of the server, along with having a good reputation among the players. Have a good amount of time logged on the server, and having a mic always helps, but it's not necessary.

Generally, most servers require standards, such as amount of playtime and activity, and being familiar with the community and the admins on the server you wish to apply on. You want people to notice how well you communicate yourself on a server. Being helpful and answering questions for new players is always a good thing. Don't do things that might make you look unprofessional.

Another standard requirement servers usually have is forum activity. Having one or two posts on the forums when applying can look bad, seeming that you only joined the forums to apply (but, if you are well known on a server your applying for, that could nullify the forum activity standard)

All in all, you won't really know if you are capable of being an operator until you do apply. Then, the current staff team of the server you apply to will review your app and comment if you are missing anything critical, or if you put forth enough effort.

My advice is this:

1. Get more activity on the forums
  2. If you don't think your well known on the server, then start communicating and helping, over the mic or in chat
  3. Befriend some (or all) of the staff on the server, and get to know them. Speaking from experience, this step is most likely a crucial factor.

Don't stress it if you are denied. Just keep playing on the server while doing the above, and apply again in the future :)

1 minute ago, Mould said:

Either way, it'd look nice to have activity on the forums. Thats something I gotta get comfortable with lol

Indeed. Forum activity always looks good, and it helps open the door to becoming an admin down the line if that's your intention. It also helps you get more well known by key players in the GFL clan.

Becoming admin was at one point on my mind about a year ago. But that was when I was employed under the US Navy and that idea was for the Gmod prop hunt server. Since I found out that the server was taken down, I switched over to csgo. Discovered the surf rpg server about a month or so ago and got curious about operator. Sorry for rambling lol

4 minutes ago, MrManslayerX said:

Not a problem. Either way put, the aforementioned steps are going to help you out either way. A lot of admins start off as operators anyhow, if you choose to further pursue that, that's up to you.

I started off as an operator under manslayer, and was promoted to admin soon after.

2 minutes ago, Mould said:

Thank you everyone for taking the time to answer my question and discuss this me. The help was much appreciated :)

No problem. I wish you luck in your endeavor!

Posted  Edited by Mad_Father - Edit Reason: fact checking

@Thomasdavid097 he is the guy that SL was talking about last night. 

So yea should we consider hiring him?

The players seemed to like him.

New update:

@Mould, go friend Thomas on Steam and he will walk you through the Operator process and responsibility.

OR

Accept my friend request and I will give you the detail on what to do.

Edited by Mad_Father
fact checking

PLACE HOLDER