Roy

Big Game Server Machine Upgrades And More!

10 minutes ago, williampickthall12 said:

How long would that have taken to write??? also good upgrades!

Two hours or so haha. I'm used to it by now though. You should have seen some of my update posts I made years ago. Some of them would extend to 20+ pages and I had them usually posted on a ~two-week basis xd. This is one I found off my list that was 17 pages alone lol.

For those curious, I've performed another stress test using the Ubuntu package on our GS14 machine for 15+ minutes. GS14, as explained in the original post, includes the Intel i9-9900K. Here are the results!

100% Load

3187-08-23-2020-x7tuSdCL.png

3188-08-23-2020-LuTO4O8h.png

3189-08-23-2020-MqjsX66q.png

We saw ~4.7 GHz consistently for 15+ minutes at 100% load on all cores :) This would be the biggest test and it stayed around 90C. The dip you see on the CPU frequency graph was one core going from 4.7 GHz to 4.69996 GHz :omegalul:

Additionally, if the temps stayed around 90C for 15+ minutes, it will more than likely not get any hotter. However, we did run it for a while last night just to be sure and it stayed around these temperatures.

Command executed to initialize stress test:

stress --cpu 16

50% Load

3190-08-23-2020-OLdc9f51.png

3191-08-23-2020-wI1HqjeG.png

3192-08-23-2020-L8OV8j00.png

Command executed to initialize stress test:

stress --cpu 8

Note - I believe the reason the temperatures stayed high is because we were putting load on all cores technically still. When executing the above command, I believe the first 1 - 8 are the physical cores themselves. 9 - 16 would be the threads. Regardless, it still performed great, as expected.

I'm actually now really curious how the Intel i9-10900K will perform at 100% load on all cores with our current liquid cooler. It will be interesting to see, but keep in mind that our machines will likely only see 50 - 60% load (during peak) assuming we don't overload them (which is the plan, of course).

Thanks!

And finally, I also made a CS:S test server and spawned in 63 bots with a DM plugin enabled:

It worked out quite well. At some points there were small FPS dips, but I believe this was due to collisions (block was enabled for players/bots) and defuse kits being left behind by the CTs (when they collide, it can impact server performance).

The CPU cores were running at around 4.7 - 4.9 GHz at this time!