Teslarossa

When trolling goes south

Posted  Edited by Teslarossa

Many of you may know me as "Kirito" on the TTT Minecraft server of GFL. I wanted to tell and show you all about something that happened to me recently on that server because it only reminded me that I'm a piece of shit and I wanted to vent it out. It's mainly about 2 trolls that targeted me in the server, and I know what you are going to respond with: They're only looking for a reaction; ignore it. The thing is, I tried my hardest not to give them a reaction, but I still felt a reaction if you know what I mean. It made me feel sad and weak, but I didn't express that at all to the server. I'm hoping people can relate to this and say how they feel about it, and not just one-sentence comments telling me ignore them. 

I went back to the server today late at night, and it was about 23:10 (Eastern Standard Time) when I logged in. It turns out I joined in the middle of a micspam battle as about 3 out of ~20 people were playing loud rap music and had their microphones close to their faces, screaming obnoxiously. I could literally hear their heartbeat from how close they were. There were no admins online, which was rather common on the server, usually before afternoon and after around 21:00. This made RDM, micspam, textspam, and other rule violations commonplace on the server.

Then a few "trolls" came in-- 2, exactly, but it might've been more. These two were named T-Bo and goldman. They were both very loud into the mic, just roasting tons of people, but out of nowhere they came after me the most. At this point, I began recording via demo, showing how much of fools they were making out of themselves. I was insulted for being a fan of Sword Art Online, a Japanese animated TV show popularly known as "anime" , and was given names like "KIRITO-KUN" and of course "weaboo". I want to make it absolutely clear that Sword Art Online is the only anime that I'm interested in and care about, but other than that I could care less about other anime or Japanese culture. The only other shows that I watch are European and maybe American-made. At first, this was just simple name-calling and scolding, but it only escalates as a round starts. They began calling false KOSes towards me for being nothing but a "weaboo", attempting to discreetly RDM me. Nobody else came in to help or intervene, because they all thought that it was a joke; an understandable reaction, but a pathetic one. Of course I reported them, but nothing happened to them immediately since there were no admins on the server at all.  This would continue until they leave the server about 3 rounds later, when I didn't even feel like speaking anymore. 

There is a fine line between trolling and harassment, but I think it's safe to say that these two crossed it. People may have interests or likes that are unusual or maybe even frowned upon, but this doesn't mean you are given the right to make fun of them for having those interests troll or not. I also feel like this is another reason why there should be more admins on the server monitoring it at different times, just to prevent the server from going into anarchy as much as it is right now. But oh well, that was really my opinion and it shouldn't matter to the staff members.

Vent over.

ttt_minecraft_b5_2017-4-16_23-17-17.dem

Edited by Teslarossa

Yeah late EST is usually adminless. When I really only ever have time to play, and it's a little frustrating, going to discord didn't really do much either. Kind of reminds of me of working in a food court in college and looking for an assistant manager to help with an issue with food, just to find out none of the assistant managers are even in the office or the kitchen. Oh well,

On top of that I agree with the harassment and that kind of stuff should (if it doensn't already) constitute a perma-gag or ban. I try not to troll, I just get heated with players that go back and forth with me every round. For example, I got nothing against Krissy's Milk, we just butt heads

Sorry that happened to you man

Okay, so it's currently half past two o'clock in the morning so I'm a bit tired and haven't slept well in the past couple days. Please disregard any grammar mistakes since I couldn't be bothered to revise my work. I'll give you my response to each of your paragraphs. 

2 hours ago, Teslarossa said:

it only reminded me that I'm a piece of shit and I wanted to vent it out

Not to be harsh but this is no way to think of yourself. I too myself vent out a good bit, even when I was just an admin. (Just ask @Zebra, I literally would blow my top to him for like 15 minutes.) There is nothing wrong with venting and expressing yourself. Keeping things like this inside just builds up the pressure and will evidently create tension between you and others. If you need someone to vent to you're always welcome to either PM me or just find me in TeamSpeak. I'm generally online every other day if not every day. 

They're only looking for a reaction; ignore it. The thing is, I tried my hardest not to give them a reaction, but I still felt a reaction if you know what I mean

Yeah, you're completely right they are just looking to get under your skin. This is something I really struggle with and am always trying to improve on. I've been playing a lot of video games over the past few years, mainly CS:GO and other MM games. One thing that really got under my skin the most was the vast amount of smurfs in CS:GO. This was indeed something I could not avoid normally; the only way, in my opinion,  around this was to queue with other smurfs and hope for a good game. People enjoy trolling and making other people's games much more difficult and stressful. A trolls main objective is to piss off the person they're targeting. They don't care about what happens to them since in their eyes it's just a video game. However, for us, it's our servers and for some, our home. The feeling you're getting is normal, everyone hates trolls. No matter how hard you ignore them they will keep going. You're doing the right thing though, just ignore them the best you can. 

It made me feel sad and weak, but I didn't express that at all to the server. I'm hoping people can relate to this and say how they feel about it, and not just one-sentence comments telling me ignore them. 

I know how you feel, but you need to remember that it's not your fault. There isn't anything you did to deserve this, they're the ones being assholes. Being emotional isn't a bad thing, we all do it just some are either more or less emotional. However, this is the internet and there are those emotionless pricks who are 'better than everyone else.' This is the main reason why large communities must have large active staff teams. You were never in the wrong for what they did. 

I went back to the server today late at night, and it was about 23:10 (Eastern Standard Time) when I logged in. It turns out I joined in the middle of a micspam battle as about 3 out of ~20 people were playing loud rap music and had their microphones close to their faces, screaming obnoxiously. I could literally hear their heartbeat from how close they were. There were no admins online, which was rather common on the server, usually before afternoon and after around 21:00. This made RDM, micspam, textspam, and other rule violations commonplace on the server.

This is a common problem throughout the majority of our servers. Unfortunately, there currently isn't a whole lot we can do given the circumstances. After I reviewed your demo I could clearly hear the excessive mic-spamming that was going on. Again, we're struggling with keeping a steady active administration team throughout our community. The fact that they were basically supporting the mic-spam doesn't help with the RDM and false KOS, etc. 

Then a few "trolls" came in-- 2, exactly, but it might've been more. These two were named T-Bo and goldman. They were both very loud into the mic, just roasting tons of people, but out of nowhere they came after me the most. At this point, I began recording via demo, showing how much of fools they were making out of themselves. I was insulted for being a fan of Sword Art Online, a Japanese animated TV show popularly known as "anime" , and was given names like "KIRITO-KUN" and of course "weaboo". I want to make it absolutely clear that Sword Art Online is the only anime that I'm interested in and care about, but other than that I could care less about other anime or Japanese culture. The only other shows that I watch are European and maybe American-made. At first, this was just simple name-calling and scolding, but it only escalates as a round starts. They began calling false KOSes towards me for being nothing but a "weaboo", attempting to discreetly RDM me. Nobody else came in to help or intervene, because they all thought that it was a joke; an understandable reaction, but a pathetic one. Of course I reported them, but nothing happened to them immediately since there were no admins on the server at all.  This would continue until they leave the server about 3 rounds later, when I didn't even feel like speaking anymore. 

Okay, so you join and start hearing them mic-spamming which is normal when there are no admins online. They started attacking you because you watch SAO which isn't bad at all. There always seems to be a misunderstanding with people's realization of what anime actually is. It's literally just cartoons that are in Japanese, well the majority. Regardless, there is nothing wrong with you watching anime or having your name as Kirito. The false mic-spam and other offenses can be taken care of by an administrator of the server. The punishment is up to them since it's their turf. You reporting them was the correct thing to do. I heard them saying things like "oh he's going to report me" but mind them no attention. Ignoring them is the best way to make them stop, they won't respond if you're not fueling their fire. 

There is a fine line between trolling and harassment, but I think it's safe to say that these two crossed it. People may have interests or likes that are unusual or maybe even frowned upon, but this doesn't mean you are given the right to make fun of them for having those interests troll or not. I also feel like this is another reason why there should be more admins on the server monitoring it at different times, just to prevent the server from going into anarchy as much as it is right now. But oh well, that was really my opinion and it shouldn't matter to the staff members.

I completely agree with you on this one, trolling and harassment comes very close in regards to each other. I can also agree that they've both definitely gone past the line with their harassment. Their actions were completely unnecessary and unwanted as a whole from the players. This is one thing I really stress is trolls and people who get harassed. A major pushing point for new players is how they get treated by others when they play. If their first impression is some kid screaming at them and calling false KOSes then they're most likely going to leave and not come back. However, if an admin steps in and takes control of the situation, stepping up for the new player, then they might stick around. Also, there's no reason to say it doesn't matter to the staff members, we are always willing to help out whether it be something as simple a support issues or as big as abuse reports. I'm sure I can speak for the entire staff team saying we're always willing to help out as much as we can. 

I really hate the fact that this all happened to you. There really is no point in people being complete assholes with the purpose of just ruining the game for others. Hopefully, @Violator is willing to help you out with this and maybe come to a positive conclusion. As for the two trolls, I'm not the most experienced with TTT so searchings logs would be a bit more difficult for me. Possibly another TTT admin can help out by providing some SteamIDs and logs if you don't happen to have them. You can add me on steam and are always welcome to PM me if something like this happens again and I'll be sure to get on and help out. Best of wishes, my friend. 

That sucks that did happen to you, I was once in your position, (I'm kinda still am), and that sucks to hear. If you need anyone to talk to, I'm here.

I know what it feels like to be in that situation, hopeless and no one to reach out to. Please PLEASE, tell me if that happens again, I will make sure it gets dealt with. <3

de247ln-88ce2fb2-8f7c-4f43-b129-1e2919f9

On 4/17/2017 at 9:03 AM, MsShad0w said:

If you need anyone to talk to, I'm here.

I know what it feels like to be in that situation, hopeless

Oi, That's my job.

I got too much free time, And i've helped multiple people in the past.

Many were wanting to kill themselves, And i knew that they really did want to, and weren't just wasting my time and were being attention whores.

One of them actually DID do it.

I was very sad for a bit, a week or two, but i pushed on, and continued searching for sad people, and helping them. I still remember them today.

I'm now a friend of one, who I used to roleplay with on a cewl little thing called "Tumblr"

*And yes im one of those fags* She was sad about something, but i didn't know what.

I would slowly push them, taking small notes on what it would be.

One day they flat out told me.

*They gave me permission to tell me this story to others, if i had wanted to.*

You sparked me, So let's do this shit.

So, This woman, Her name is Nina.

She was in a bit of a bad spot with her boyfriend.

They weren't working very well, so they took a "break".

She found this other guy, Whose name i don't know, so we'll call him Todd.

This continued for a month.

Once that month ended, Her other boyfriend, who we shall call Bill, Approached her, saying that he was ready to end their break.

She had thought they had broken up, but apparently, Bill didn't think so.

Todd, while she was being talked to by bill, decided to call her.

She fumbled with her phone, and answered.

She put it up to her ear, and listened.

For some reason, (Most likely her ear touching the screen) the speaker phone was on.

He wanted her to "Come over". *You know what i mean :lenny:*

Bill heard everything, so he walked away, very clearly upset.

She didn't know what to do, so she went back home and basically just sat there for a couple weeks, Talking to me.

She told me that she was contemplating suicide.

So i responded, "Well, If you think that's what is best for you... then I guess do it. Cause if you're gonna leave, Then I want to be able to make your last moments happy."

She was at my house so we actually COULD hang out, so i told my parents that i was staying at a friends for a bit.

I knew that this person wasn't going to hurt me, but just incase, i brought my brothers flipknife.

We spent the day hanging out, watching movies and what not.

She took me back home and thanked me for making her last day, a good one.

That night, she had taken a handful of her prescription pills, and tried to kill herself.

It didn't work, and instead, her body forced her to vomit it back up.

She took this as a sign that she shouldn't do it.

The next day, early in the morning, she came to my house.

I was the only one awake at the time, so i answered the door.

I saw her there, standing, crying.

She grabbed me and hugged me so damn tight.

I hugged back.

I heard her quietly, repeatedly saying "thank you, thank you, thank you."

After a minute of hugging, she let go, and i dropped to the ground. *Cause she was like 2 feet taller* 

She told me "Thank you for letting me do this, but that's all i need."

So she went back home, and started looking for someone else to love.

This is a true story.

I do not lie.

That is all.

200.gif            Hello from all the animals~