akphilo

how do you cope with repetition

Posted  Edited by akphilo

hi @ all

my background: i only played cs 1.5 and csgo. on 1.5 there was a warcraft mod i enjoyed. i got bored quickly with cs go. i wanted as many enemies as possible. so i searched public games with the most players possible online. thats how i came to ze maps. i come from zeus, to mapeadore to gfl. i left mapeadores because we played the same maps over and over again. now i start to feel the same when i left mapea. we play the same maps over and over again. rarely new maps get introduced (btw big thanks to the mappers who invest time to give us new toys).

I honestly enjoy the events we put up, for example the "luff" event, where we spiced everything up with an enforced ruleset and the first rounds of "no nomination saturday", but lately i get sad, angry and bored when we play maps like frostdrake and final fantasy maps on saturdays, especially in hinsight of the massive cocktease of maps available on this day when on the regular days arent even to be nominated. if you read this, i want you to think about it when you vote on saturdays.

Thats why i ask to shuffle things a bit. Unlock/lock maps in quartar periods. Which ones is of course a hard task and somehow dangerous for the player count of this server. Or maybe we can have another day where the maps, which are chosen the least or even NONE, are forced.

So how do you guys cope with this? I learned a lot of people here played it since source. Do you partake in other games? I for one allways claimed csgo (and i mean ze) was only my side game, but i played it more than my arpgs.

Additionally, i want to talk about a behaviour i deeply despise. Sometimes we get into the situation where a group of people have the audacity to tell people on the server how to act. I dont mean simple leadership. I better give you an example: it feels like on diddle an unwritten rule is established: the buy order of items. There is no best way to do it. There a lot of ways. Hell we probably could do it only with walls and a heal (event challenge? wink wink). Sorry to stray off, my point is if you dare to differ from this buy order people threaten to call the admins to get kicked, banned or restricted. This can not honestly be wanted and the policy of gfl

I don´t want to open a second battleground with the part above. Greetings to the laserfags.

Edited by akphilo

your profile is 33% complete!

Posted  Edited by Luffaren

When i need to take a break from ze, i make maps for ze
When i need to take a break from mapping, i go ze

Hit me up if you wanna learn mapping, it'll ease the insanity that comes with repetition ;)

..or amplify it, i can't really remember at this point

Edited by Luffaren

Posted  Edited by Altek - Edit Reason: so->go
1 hour ago, akphilo said:

my background: i only played cs 1.5 and csgo. on 1.5 there was a warcraft mod i enjoyed. i got bored quickly with cs go. i wanted as many enemies as possible. so i searched public games with the most players possible online. thats how i came to ze maps. i come from zeus, to mapeadore to gfl. i left mapeadores because we played the same maps over and over again. now i start to feel the same when i left mapea. we play the same maps over and over again. rarely new maps get introduced (btw big thanks to the mappers who invest time to give us new toys).

MAKE SOME MAPS GAY INCOCKNITO

No really most maps aren't fun for most ze players cuz 90% of the people just doorhug and than it's only 4 defenders which is very lame (i remember a really old and fun map and i remember playing with you nied where it was like a parking spot that went into chaos (not parking lol) and we had to defend and lot and there were like 4 different ways to go but you need a lot of defenders) so most of the times people either pick known maps (LOTR->cuz movies)(talking about general community not tryhard vs casual).

Now on the items what I personally try to tell people is the best (most efficient) way to use items, of course they can also be used on other ways but less efficient *cough* yektima is a thing *cough*,jk but really I agree that people flip out if people try different things, which is what I do a lot since it gets boring using an item always the same way.

Now go diddle gay incocknito

Edited by Altek
so->go

4 hours ago, Luffaren said:

When i need to take a break from ze, i make maps for ze
When i need to take a break from mapping, i go ze

Hit me up if you wanna learn mapping, it'll ease the insanity that comes with repetition ;)

..or amplify it, i can't really remember at this point

I totally agree with luffaren mapping is the sweet spot if you want to do something else if your bored. Totally lets me relax and purge my mind of all the ideas i have for new maps!

Get a mic and start to lead. Mappers will always go about and make harder maps, and harder maps means more losing. Problem is with too many losses, the atmosphere will turn against the map and people will stop trying unless a leader steps in. The aspect that servers return to playing the same old maps is just natural, if you want to change it, get more of a reputation to influence the community, considering the community clearly enjoys playing those maps or they themselves are influenced by another dude with a mic.

The same applies to item usage. As maps get harder they will require more perfect item usage in order to beat, or the map requiring an item to be used in a certain manner in order to proceed. Any level of originality will be regarded as trolling and not a new tactic. This is because the end result is usually an entire wasted round due to one person not explaining themselves and the rest of the server either being really pissed or not wanting to try anymore. Get a mic and lead and maybe you can convince the general populace to try something new without being labeled as a troublemaker.

2 hours ago, gkuo88 said:

Get a mic and start to lead. Mappers will always go about and make harder maps, and harder maps means more losing. Problem is with too many losses, the atmosphere will turn against the map and people will stop trying unless a leader steps in. The aspect that servers return to playing the same old maps is just natural, if you want to change it, get more of a reputation to influence the community, considering the community clearly enjoys playing those maps or they themselves are influenced by another dude with a mic.

The same applies to item usage. As maps get harder they will require more perfect item usage in order to beat, or the map requiring an item to be used in a certain manner in order to proceed. Any level of originality will be regarded as trolling and not a new tactic. This is because the end result is usually an entire wasted round due to one person not explaining themselves and the rest of the server either being really pissed or not wanting to try anymore. Get a mic and lead and maybe you can convince the general populace to try something new without being labeled as a troublemaker.

once again nearly every single thing you listed can be exhausted really easily, learning how to press e better isn't engaging or rewarding in any way once you get the general idea, and leading on GFL is kind of dull nowadays where when we are tryharding, we lose (diddle every single day) and when we aren't tryharding, it's flat out cancer... To cope with boredom with ze in general you have to simply quit playing it for some time, and play other games or do other things. Playing the same maps every single day is bound to get annoying, easy solution is take periodic breaks to keep it fresh.

Once you've played every map and beaten what you want to beat and simply do everything there is to do in this gamemode, most people flat out quit - Key being a prime example.

This gamemode is really just not sustainable as unless you like playing the same maps over and over again with little to no reward for beating maps or actually being good at this gamemode, you simply move on. Perhaps if there was any sort of progression at all in this mod, things wouldn't be this way.

I think you missed the point I was trying to address. Also what is with "once again"?

The guy wants a way around playing the same maps over and over again, or at least if anything, he doesn't like the selection of maps that are being played. All I did was told him the cheapest method. Easiest way out is gain some rep through leading and change public opinion yourself rather than ask the management to forcefully change things that might upset the majority. 

Same with with item usage. All I've done was explain why the server has a mentality to use items in a certain manner, and why the community attacks those who deviate from the norm. 

Your points are all very valid but iirc both of you haven't played this since 6+ years ago like OP or me...since it's hot af and I need a drink I'll keep it simple.

If you use an item always the same way->you never improve or learn what could be best->we use 2r 2p 1lH 1sS on diddle and we were talking about dropping 1 push for another item for example.

Also most of the times what's fun in a map is how outrageous someone fails with an item and how the outcome impacts everyone, finding new bugs and just changing the normal way the map would be played out. 

Now I know the op doesn't like tryhard maps (lasers, schling etc) so that's what I think breaks ze for you nied tbh. Lasers and shit do get boring but you can try new things on them as you want (backwards, 360, crouch jump only, jump all) and keep them fresh-ish. Now for normal ze there are some casual maps I miss from long ago *cough* defense 3003... that people hate but that I remember were overplayed and we just used to fuck around on... Best way I keep it fresh is fucking around with people on voice chat and when it's a tryhard map I just look for a familiar face (if we aren't tryharding our balls off) and start knifing his face to fuck around with.

TL:DR it's gonna end up boring eventually as fatty said and since you played since so long ago this is just bound to happen.

Posted  Edited by akphilo

@altek

Starting to learn mapping takes too much time. I play Path of Exile. Its an arpg you can play for FREE. I am coming from this kind of games.

Diddling maps would take me too much time to learn i fear. I got ideas and would even say i am creative and possible successful diddling maps. 

But i guess it will stay with daydreaming to maps like takeshis castle, american gladiator or a map themed around the movie cube.

This thread is about the humble question to add more maps again and play them. Gfl disabled a lot. Can we just bring some back?

Edited by akphilo

your profile is 33% complete!

Make the labyrinth from poe where it resets every round you fail and changes everyday... 10/10 idea lol. But yeah some good old maps got removed I guess cuz they weren't played (defense 3003, k19 etc) old maps that I remember playing ~4 years ago and were very casual and allowed for a good time on ze servers.

Posted  Edited by Trexller

Im currently in my first break from ZE, i played as much as i could for a year and a half until about a month or two ago, people ive always played with (delta, rim, fidler, bender) all seem to have slowed down or completely quit as well. Its a progression thing i think, being bored of regular CS brought you to the mods, which brought you here. Maybe youll just take a break and come back and dive in hard again. Maybe you dont, maybe you move on to a new game or community. Nothing last forever and there will always be something new out there

Edited by Trexller

• 5 weeks later...