Roy

[8-1-17] Future Expansions

Hidden

"The scientific man does not aim at an immediate result. He does not expect that his advanced ideas will be readily taken up. His work is like that of the planter - for the future. His duty is to lay the foundation for those who are to come, and point the way." - Nikola Tesla

Some brief things to think about:

• Reward a genuine, sincere and strategic effort; not results.
  • I don't know why you guys seem to always have the right idea (regarding the BF4 what to change paragraph), but then never actually put it to play.  External advertising was spoken of long ago (example 1, example 2), but you guys always revert back to the internal stuff.  I suspect it's because you guys like to see immediate results and are okay with fluffed numbers from Shout box advertising and having a few people temporarily leave their division to play.
  • Definitely get those other divisions onto the forums.  I called out TF2 long before the server failed due to updates (thanks for being jerks to me about it too).  TF2 could have easily been a success story if the team focused on getting those people on the forums.  The few we have seen from TF2 who were active on the forums seem to be with us today, but we missed out on so many others.

I think I've said plenty.  Good luck.

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

Hidden
3 hours ago, Joshy said:

TF2 could have easily been a success story if the team focused on getting those people on the forums.  The few we have seen from TF2 who were active on the forums seem to be with us today, but we missed out on so many others.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. TF2 used to be huge in GFL, and the forums reflected that with how many TF2 players were active on it back in, say, 2012. You stopped seeing so many after the aussyspitz and GrandiSlayer splits, not to mention the general decline that TF2 has been facing overall. Everyone that you would see on the forums from 2012 - 2016 were practically all of the regulars, barring a few exceptions.

Pt5iuHl.png

I won't take a photo—I'll tell it through words.

Achievements

Hidden

Not only the above from Shuruia but the TF2 dev team are pretty much dedicated to killing of community servers, especially with recent patches that killed them off like "Meet your match"

Our servers were popular with all of them except 1 reaching 25 people each day for a few months before the update. We had bigger priorities to work on.

11f4263ab6c30a3489f8db3145340861.png

So everyone is listing their former stuff so I'll just be cool and list mine :3

Former @HackingPotato's White Knight and Boss Former Director Former TF2 Division Leader Former Community Advisor Former TF2 Technical Administrator Former TF2 Server Manager Former TF2 Trial Manager Former TF2 Admin Former TF2 Revivalist Former TF2 Player Former TF2 God Former Media Leaderish Former somewhat Media team person Former VIP Former Supporter Former Member Former TF2 Player Former Player

Posted  Edited by Joshy · Hidden
Hidden

I wasn't talking about the popularity of the servers and I even note the servers failed due to updates (developers as you reinforce above).  I couldn't and wouldn't give GFL any blame there as  I completely agree with you guys in the aspect of the server's performance in itself, but we seem to be discussing various measurements or perspectives on success.

Edited by Joshy

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

• 2 weeks later...
Hidden

For Community Advisors: I do acknowledge the fact that I'm very late, and that what I'm about to do is wrong, or partially wrong, but I just think that I have to say this. 

Ah, Minecraft...Yes.

This is where I belong, Minecraft, a very popular game where I was credited by the community of the way I handled situations, ran servers, and coded plugins. I'm not showing off, but just backing up what I'm about to say.

I have, large experience within that game, it's community, and it's dev zone, I've owned, managed, and ran dozens of servers, programmed countless plugins, and moderated infinite servers, I'm here to give my personal opinion about having a Minecraft Divison within GFL. I'd be more than happy to be in charge of it, but after a long session of just thinking by myself, It's a big no-no.

The reason is fairly simply, while a lot of you might claim that we had a good Minecraft Server, but a careless team, I'd say that too, but add a little twist, Minecraft is NOT ready for the system GFL uses, the GFL Donation System is a completely new fresh idea that I personally don't think will work, sure, for a survival server, it'll work, but almost nobody plays these types of servers anymore, compared to Factions, HCF, and MG.

It'll take a long journey for us to convince the Minecraft Community that the system works, and I don't think it's worth our time, I completely understand that a lot of GFL players would love to see a GFL Minecraft Server, but that's another problem, as I understood from @Roy's POV on this post, he doesn't want servers that will cannibalize GFL, meaning he doesn't want GFL to eat itself, literally, he wants to advertise more and get new players, and that's something we should respect, If there's anyone that wants a Minecraft Division more than I do please put your hands up, if you do exist, because I'd love to see one since it'd give me a shot in becoming a higherup, I just personally don't think it'll work, I'd love for GFL to expand for sure, and I'm a Dedicated person, I'd be more than happy to be on the server 24/7, but it's a matter of time until the server just dies a silent death simply because of the system.

I can for sure link the Forums with the Server, using the IPS4 API and the Bukkit API we can for sure create a lot of interesting stuff, but seeing it from someone outside of GFL, I'd love to stick to the old fashion of using Enjin or BuyCraft, or other Minecraft websites, they're just not ready for it, yet. It's a lot easier on games such as CS:GO or GMod because It's the good old way, and there isn't much competition here as there is on Minecraft, we'll just get drowned by the amount of competition, and won't gain any new members at all.

We can always start our own unofficial GFL server, we just need someone to volunteer and pay 15$/month and we can have our own where we can chill.

Thanks for reading,

Syntax.

Achievements