StaticPixel

Host content for MOTD separately.

Due to the recent downtime, it came to my attention that many new players that join the server could not read the rules, and they cannot learn how to play the game mode if they were new.

At the moment, the MOTD is a forum post on the sub topic on the specific game mode, so when the forms go down for downtime, schedule maintenance, or even a DDOS attack, the post is left unreadable. 

This suggestion is to host a bare minimum of the list of rules and how to play on a separate site (big domain) that can be switched to when the website goes down.  

Another solution is to host it locally on the content, however then you run into the issue of having to change it, and for users who don’t download content. 

Here below is a screenshot of discussion on this topic from Discord. 

E2628663-A319-45C8-B953-447839C0756C.png

9 minutes ago, Eli said:

Events like yesterdays are very rare and not worth the effort to put an entirely new system in place

While I agree with this, this suggestion was to really lean more onto setting up a togglable backup in times in which it does happen.

46 minutes ago, Eli said:

Just finished talking to zebra and 

zebrammotd.PNG.29ab82ee54b5fa29ade694439a5e10bb.PNG

http://davidsaji.site.nfoservers.com/Zebra/motd/

Would like to note: This is on a previous Director's host (not my own) and the link mentioned was a revision of one of Roy's previous MOTD designs (and me testing out a couple of things like "last changes" and the colors [this was just a side project for something else]).

Zebra.png

GFL | Steam

This also just seems like something you could just copy and paste into a googles Docs and just have one of those timed chat messages going like:

"Wanna read the MOTD? Then use F4 or go to (insert google doc link here) to view the MOTD."

But idk... just a suggestion.