hotEvercLear

Map Secrets

A question to the community... 

What is your opinion on sharing map secrets with randoms and noobs? Part of me knows many of us derive our sense of superiority over others because we know how to activate Orange on Icecap, or how to get to light bridge on Escape the Eye, etc... Another part of me thinks though, "well a lot of it is on youtube anyway" someone can just go and look it up if they want to know... 

This all sort of ties into the whole "don't let noobs pick up items" or "we need the noob trim before some boss fights" debates. I would like to start a thread (maybe sticky it) of all the map secrets we know about. It would probably drive some traffic to the forums as well if we have a sort of database of maps and their secrets in one central location, but before starting a thread like that and compiling the info I know already, I would like to feel out the community if this would be good or bad... 

Feel free to chime in here with constructive input,  or whatever hate you feel like throwing my way. 

Posted  Edited by Flops - Edit Reason: added stuff

i personally believe that secrets shouldn't be on display for the entire world to see, but available when people ask. Those who create secrets make them secrets for a reason, and i really don't like making a huge ass thread just revealing everything that makes certain maps fun to play and general things. Learn it yourself or ask others, we don't need a huge ass database :P

ON TOP OF THIS, secrets are something people work long and hard to find (decompiling and reverse engineering maps secrets take a huge amount of time) and secrets are one of the VERY VERY few things that distinguish someone who's been playing for 10 years versus someone who joined the other day.  

MY FINAL VOTE - No fucking secret thread please god

Edited by Flops
added stuff

Posted  Edited by FireStarter - Edit Reason: Added P.S.

There used to be such a thread on GFL (in 2016): http://gflclan.com/topic/116-ze-maps-secrets/.
What happened to it? :trollface:

e8KRIii.png

P.S. Although after looking it up on web.archive.org, it appears that it used to be on Counter-Strike:Source ZE forum. Sorry.

Edited by FireStarter
Added P.S.

I think that it should be up to the person who has discovered a secret (by any means), whether he wants to share it with others or not and in what form (unless he has sworn an oath of secrecy). So such a thread has a right to exist.

In my opinion, secrets could be divided into two categories: that don't give significant personal advantage (but more importantly may help the team to win, or are some fluff) and that do. I belive that most people wouldn't mind sharing secrets of the first type, but wouldn't take it so easy with the second.

I generally prefer when secrets are used on a map (by someone), than when nobody knows them, because they are additional content that adds more variety to gameplay.

One thing that some people probably don't realize, is that there are always a lot of completely new players on the server (new to the game mod/map; and those that you've never played with before). For example, if you take a look at the number of players on the server (in the game/steam server browser) and the number of players that have joined a team in the game right after a map has changed, you'll typically see that about half of players still haven't joined a team (and are most likely still downloading the map). Even during US/EU prime time with a lot of regular players. I can also see in my local http proxy window in real time as steam sends requests for each of avatars of players, that are not cached on my disk, and each time I connect to the server after a few hours break it loads avatars of about half of the players (avatar images are cached practically permanently in "..\appcache\httpcache" steam folder). The situation is pretty similar across all popular CS:GO ZE servers that I play on. Complete noobs are never going to compete with more experience/knowledgeable players for secrets. And even among regular players not everybody cares about secrets enough to take their time to look up information about them outside of the game and try to use them. So I wouldn't worry that too many players will get to know the secrets if they are shared here.

21 hours ago, Flops said:

ON TOP OF THIS, secrets are something people work long and hard to find (decompiling and reverse engineering maps secrets take a huge amount of time) 

Imagine spending hours on making a hard secret just for someone to decompile your map and find it out, you can't say those people deserve to be the only ones, anyways useless secrets like the vending machine on Random don't need to be shared but it is good to have more people who know how to do ones like Wanderers level 5

2 hours ago, Malal said:

Imagine spending hours on making a hard secret just for someone to decompile your map and find it out, you can't say those people deserve to be the only ones, anyways useless secrets like the vending machine on Random don't need to be shared but it is good to have more people who know how to do ones like Wanderers level 5

the only way to find out secrets is through deconpiling a map, I doubt you can name a single secret that would’ve been found (not counting really basic ones lol) without someone decompiling the map. Those who take then take the time to find it 100% deserve to keep the info, they found it and they aren’t obligated to give XXX_virgin_XXX any secrets.

i think we are missing the whole point here, they are secrets and not necessary parts of a map for a reason - why are you guys trying to make this a thing and take away from having to learn anything about maps? Many mappers could possibly not want it, and I feel it would just completely ruins many fun things about maps (fapescape banana gun and shit). 

well telling and showing everyone map secrets doesn't make them secrets anymore does it?

me personally, i don't mind if everyone knows a map secret as long as it's not an item or something that could impact a round

any mappers want to chime in on this???? this is sort of a paradox when you think about it...

Mapper create secrets that no one will inherently know about, and if no one knows about it, what is the point of it existing? If people know about it, then its existence is validated to an extend and it becomes known to people, but then it is really no longer a true secret since others know about it.

I guess the real question is, who does the community as a whole feel is "worthy" to learn about the secrets. From what has been shared so far, it would seem we are mixed into a few camps (I also get the 2 types of secrets argument, ones that are just fun like Orange on IceCap, or ones that impact winning a map like many of the items on Santa, SAM, Ashen, ect...). 

1. Everyone, make a database people can look things up in

2. Anyone who asks another player, and that player should share the info 

3. Only people willing to take the time to Spec, YouTube and search themselves

4. Only people willing to learn hammer and decompile and study the maps

5. No one, information is power and we must retain power with the elites 

19 hours ago, Flops said:

the only way to find out secrets is through deconpiling a map, I doubt you can name a single secret that would’ve been found (not counting really basic ones lol) without someone decompiling the map. Those who take then take the time to find it 100% deserve to keep the info, they found it and they aren’t obligated to give XXX_virgin_XXX any secrets.

You can always do showtriggers which shows the location but not order and what they do.

Wanderers level 5 potentially could have been.

It isn't hard to decompile they don't deserve anything.

41 minutes ago, Malal said:

You can always do showtriggers which shows the location but not order and what they do.

Wanderers level 5 potentially could have been.

It isn't hard to decompile they don't deserve anything.

lol so you just proved my point - through normal gameplay you wont find a single thing. 

Posted  Edited by Tibet

The secret to my heart is good Vietnamese pho. 

Edit: shitpost aside, I do like the interactive culture required to learn secrets instead of just going to a forum or watching a youtube video. I think if you're active in the community and play atleast a bit people are responsive to answer questions or give out secrets that arent detrimental to winning the round. I say we shouldnt but honestly most of the secrets are available online anyways so if you would rather make it easier for everyone to retrieve feel free. All in all, just a game do what you want.

Edited by Tibet

I think there should be an archive of all known map secrets for both new and old players. I believe everyone who is willing to simply search and find the secrets archive (which won't be hidden or anything, could just be a list of them on the forums) should have access to all knowledge of secrets. It would be beneficial to both new and old players as new players will find more playability in the game mode with the opportunity to complete a map secret for the first time. Old players will also be able to use this archive to discover secrets they might have known about despite playing the game mode for a long time since very few players know every secret in zombie escape. There aren't many secrets that if known to inexperienced players will cause the loss of rounds, and besides most new players can quickly learn from their mistakes (but there'll always be a few people who can't understand basic English or just want to see the world burn). Anyways, just my "two cents" on the subject. 

Sharing Map secrets is something I dont like. Ice prom is doing it you can look at his youtube.

About Items there are a lot of players who know how to use items perfectly fine and choose not to take them to allow other players, newer players to get them and learn them. 

Kinda same with secrets there are players who if you ask them for a secret they will tell you immediately.

I learned the secrets I know, by decompiling map or asking others. There are also a ton of people who sit in spec for certain maps and watch you do secrets and then know it by that way. Its not paradox because I cant think of a single map which s secret isnt known to a single person. Even if its just the mapper who knows it (e.g. luff pizzatime) as i just mentioned people spectate that guy and then he does the secret and this way it spreads. You guys focus too much on stuff like this: items ,secrets, bhop.

Instead make a thread asking how to buy a weapon and hold mouse1 because really the defense at all times is just shit.