sweet

Move the server back the US

Are there any plans to move the server back to the United States? I've been told that it's not permanent, so is there some time frame that you guys have in mind for how long you will keep the server in the UK?

I was gonna wait until this weekend to post a topic on this, but since we already got a thread going I may as well place my input on this. I want to start off by making a simple pro/con list

Pro:

• Getting new players from a different region
  • Using a machine we already have acquired/set up

Cons:

• Increase in ping for all Americans and most Asians

Ultimately, ping is no big issue because for most of us, 100 is playable. This is what I am concerned about:

https://unloze.com/threads/what-is-the-deal-with-that-na-server.477/

About a year and a half ago a different community created a server in our "territory" and we as a community were rightfully pissed off. This is slightly different as we are keeping the server as NA based but moving the location. Why change location if we are keeping the same population? Wouldn't it make more sense to locate the server around the regulars of the server? These questions have been asked by all of us regular players and we have yet to get a clear answer. "Our goal is to provide the best experience for as many people as possible throughout the globe" is a really lame excuse because there are plenty of other servers that global players play on (like Unloze, NiDE, Net4All, ZombieDen, etc). They wont magically stop playing on their own servers because a "new server" opened up where they can get good ping on.

I think all the higher ups/admins forget that there is this magical factor known as P U B L I C  P E R C E P T I O N. The reason why people are complaining in the server/in discord/on the forums is because we do not like the actions made by higher ups without any input from us. I was so happy to see the communication we had when the merge was officially announced a few months ago and this change in server location right before the launch of the server looks really sketchy.

I think many players will be more appreciative if you:

• Gave an exact time frame how much longer we are playing in the UK
  • Looking at this thread/making a new thread to get all of our feedback and responding to it
  • Showing the process of a new server located in the US

As a last note, I may feel angry at these decisions made, but I still love GFL and wouldn't leave for any other server. I really want what is best for the server and I just want some answers.

if its about opening up to more players and improving ping for others why the fuck would you choose the uk and not central europe

On 10/16/2018 at 11:56 AM, WarpedCakez said:

I may feel angry at these decisions made, but I still love GFL and wouldn't leave for any other server

I hate gfl and I still wouldn't leave it for any other server

Posted  Edited by Backy
On 10/16/2018 at 9:21 PM, Malal said:

if its about opening up to more players and improving ping for others why the fuck would you choose the uk and not central europe

We don't just invest into random server locations on a whim. This is a big community, so we choose certain locations strategically and we host our servers there. This gives new servers a couple of options. One can't just magically pick somewhere on the globe and say "I want my server there".

Also, you have never played on our server and yet you seem to very frequently post inflammatory or uninformed/useless comments on a lot of threads regarding our server. Hop on the server and check it out a bit then let us know how you feel about it ;)

As for the rest of this thread, I was going to personally open a similar one to gather your feedback. I've been preoccupied with other more important irl things the last week though so I apologize (also one week after a change may be too soon for an "official" call for feedback). Therefore, thank you to Cowna for making this thread. Also, thank you to Warped Cakes for the excellent post. That is how you lay things out clearly and state your opinion/feedback politely, which in turn leads to results. 

At this time, we are discussing among the head admins to set a deadline for deciding if we move back to NA or not. Stay tuned but please be a bit patient. It will NOT be much longer! Obviously your feedback matters a lot, so tell your friends to speak their minds here in a constructive manner. Remember that good posts with logic will only further sway us to an NA location, but at the same time inflammatory or troll/memey posts will basically be useless and a waste of time for all involved.

Edited by Backy

3 hours ago, Backy said:

One can't just magically pick somewhere on the globe and say "I want my server there".

You can if it's a first world country.

3 hours ago, Backy said:

you have never played on our server

That's not true

3 hours ago, Backy said:

Hop on the server and check it out a bit

I can't currently play any online game that requires a steam connection thanks to a bug with Manjaro and Steam servers, I'll be sure to check it out once I fix that.

3 hours ago, Backy said:

Remember that good posts with logic will only further sway us to an NA location,

Your server location is useless, both Unloze and Nide have better locations for EU players (France) and Plaguefest has a better location for NA players (NA)

Asian players have better connection to NA or Asian servers.

Your EU players might benefit but they've always had Unloze for low ping, if someone from EU is playing on GFL (before the UK move) it wouldn't be for the ping.

The UK itself is a shitty location in general due to it being an island with worse internet than Iceland which is a literal island in the middle of no where.

I obviously don't know what goes on the inside but let me take a guess that you didn't have a choice between a 64/64 NA server and a 64/64 UK server

Thank you for responding to this backy. Seeing as how you didn't respond to me makes me guess I should be more "constructive" on why I hate this.
I will start off talking about somethings warped brought up.

On 10/16/2018 at 11:56 AM, WarpedCakez said:

Ultimately, ping is no big issue because for most of us, 100 is playable. This is what I am concerned about:

I couldn't disagree with him more on this.

I am west coast USA and average low pop i get 150-160 ping.
Higher pop it is consistently around 180+.
This ping is trash. While playable, i can't defend without getting long knifed, and I can't react as quickly with items on maps. Especially with our settings being the hardest of most servers. This makes it far more unenjoyable to play for everyone, since most people can knife you across the map.
This server location negatively affects the majority of the server.

warped1.thumb.jpg.5e0522dc57049ec06700581651c97102.jpg

First we have a screenshot of warped on a tryhard map a few people have less than 100 latency.warped2.thumb.jpg.e463c8254d012d68054bc58e5095ede2.jpg

And here is another on a map that doesnt have ff in the name attracting everyone. Again very few with below 100 ping.

We see the vast majority of players with high ping, and while I agree ping for most east coast or central usa might not matter as much, but why should na players prefer gfl? If gfl has 30 on cosmo and unloze has 60, why play on gfl? I would rather play on unloze, especially since the community of gfl is shutdown on tryhard maps. Torch usually gets disabled and admins mute people talking shit about the jews. So i might as well go unloze till they win since even, though I have higher ping we still have more ridiculous knives, and with the easier settings I am more likely to win.warped3.thumb.jpg.bf273e1a962d5fd685f7da59fd5b7254.jpg

Just as an example here is Warped on unloze. He has practically the same ping as gfl. Making me ask again why should na players stay with gfl

Another thing Warped mentioned is jenz tried similar shit with starting an na server. His reasons for doing it are better than yours. He wanted a server for na people in case gfl css ze collapsed. Instead at best we are "attracting" population from eu. I can only see it as stealing pop from unloze. I doubt you think this was the best decision for na players, instead you wanted more euros since most of css ze is euro now. Why else would the vote be unanimous when you and vanya (maybe xen?) are all from north america. Yet you said it wasn't what you wanted. The only reason i can think of is expanding to eu and stealing pop from nide and unloze. Idc about fucking over nide but I actually care about Unloze since it is a good community that we should remain friendly with. I can't see anything else you wanted from this especially when our pop is mainly fucking american. You are not trying to make the few euros and asians who play have better ping at the expense of your main population.

Finally, something warped didnt bring up. Why the fuck did we merge.

I thought it was to bring more players from a bigger community who are interested in playing. Instead they are expected to come to a server that is in the uk when most populated gfl servers are na. So why would they feel the need to buy a dying game/reinstall to play on a server in the uk when they can play on csgo ze, and not want to blow their brains out from the bullshit that happens now that most people have a 65 yard (59.436 meter) dildo to slap around.

What makes this even more frustrating is you keep saying this is a temporary change. M8 i know its fucking temporary and i didnt like it the second i found out.

I dont like it 2 weeks after the fact. I wont fucking like it 2 months in the future.
Just because its temporary doesn't mean i shouldnt bitch about how i think its a dumb fucking decision. Warped and other people wanted to wait a bit because it was quick but i said just fucking make the thread. Fucking no head admins commented on it till we bitched about it on the discord, yet all our frustration should be gone because this change is "temporary". While i agree circle jerking on discord is annoying, so is the fact that you try and say chill its a new change. It's a new change none of us wanted yet for some reason we cant speak up about it? Do you actually think in a few months we will like it? Why would the na pop ever like it when it makes playing less enjoyable.

Also i aint attacking ya backy. Thank you for commenting.

IF YOU DIDNT READ MY POORLY FORMATTED POST BASICALLY I SAID FUCK THE UK.

I live in South Asia. Have been playing with GFL since 2014 (end) and always had 250+ ping in CS:S. This is the first time after the move to UK, I am getting below 200 ping. Around 150 and I literally feel any difference from 250....

Posted  Edited by Backy

We have sped up the timeline for the decision, so we will get back to you all soon with a result.

If you haven't given your feedback and still wish to help the admin team come to a conclusion, please do it by today or tomorrow!

Edited by Backy

Not much to add here, I can only speak for myself. In the new location I regularly get around 110 - 230 ms ping, mostly around 130ish. While not unplayable, the lag is noticeable, and during events the latency can spike to over 300ms.

Attention all source players. CSGO ZE is superior to Source ZE. Don't come over to our servers complaining about no one tryharding. We like to have fun and fuck females. We are the GFL Chads you guys are the GFL Virgins. Don't come over here again. Stick to your shitty 20 player population and kys nerds.

Posted  Edited by TrapWHore

man you american's are such pussies. we european players played for centuries on your server when it was in chicago. as a german i've always had 170+ ping. you'll get used to it.

you'll figure out the timing to toss your guns to pick up items before anybody else.

you'll figure out what reach the zombies have with increased ping.

you'll figure out how much of a selfish gay person you've been for bitching about the server move.

play an mmorpg with 170 ping and you'll know what it means to be at a disadvantage. you'll notice how little it affects a game like css.

Edited by TrapWHore

1 hour ago, TrapWHore said:

man you american's are such pussies. we european players played for centuries on your server when it was in chicago. as a german i've always had 170+ ping. you'll get used to it.

you'll figure out the timing to toss your guns to pick up items before anybody else.

you'll figure out how much of a selfish gay person you've been for bitching about the server move.

play an mmorpg with 170 ping and you'll know what it means to be at a disadvantage. you'll notice how little it affects a game like css.

Hell yea I'm a pussy. Got a problem with that?

Average HL2RP Enjoyer.

Achievements

4 hours ago, TrapWHore said:

How does ping affect an mmorpg more than a fps or CSS?

In a game that requires fast reactions like CS having a 100+ ms delay over the other players is a clear disadvantage

i used to play on a connection with 350 ping, you guys can deal with it

14 hours ago, Malal said:

How does ping affect an mmorpg more than a fps or CSS?

In a game that requires fast reactions like CS having a 100+ ms delay over the other players is a clear disadvantage

getting cc chained by someone jumping out of nowhere in an mmorpg easily gets you killed. ze is something entirely different. everything is so predictable.

learn how to predict players movement and you'll realize how easy it is to play with increased ping. read the players and adjust your playstyle to it. it's what makes great ze players.

obviously you lack a sense of prediction so i suggest you start to learn it.