Dogger

Port Forwarding Problems

I know this isn't really related to PC Hardware per say so if a forum Admin feels this should be placed elsewhere please move this into the correct sub-forum.

Anyways, so I have been trying to open a few ports on my router and I know about as much about routers/modems as the next guy.

I have tried everything I could think of and everything to fix "common problems" but every time I check on a open port checker tool it says the port is closed.

I have DMZ disabled, I have reset my router/modem multiple times, my router firewall is on minimal and I'm pretty sure I set up the rules correctly, here is a screenshot of the rules:

ce57c4980a.png

I know I haven't provided a lot of info so if you need more details let me know. Please leave any suggestions you have to fixing this. 

I could help, but what make and model of the router would be appreciated.  Also, make sure you are port forwarding, not port triggering.

wEEZhpy.jpg.54370668acb451a1bac8a5011679ce7b.jpg 

(Made by @Rose, thx :D)

[Former]- Breach Admin, OLD Purge SR. Admin, HnS admin, GMOD Murder admin, GMOD JB Admin, TTT Admin, Forum Moderator, Discord Moderator, Public Relations Team Member, Media Team Member

I'm out

Posted  Edited by Dogger
21 minutes ago, nap14hockey said:

I could help, but what make and model of the router would be appreciated.  Also, make sure you are port forwarding, not port triggering.

I have a Hitron CGN3ROG (router/modem combo). I am not port triggering.

Edited by Dogger

Ok may i ask what the ports are for, and do you have the mac bound?

[Former]- Breach Admin, OLD Purge SR. Admin, HnS admin, GMOD Murder admin, GMOD JB Admin, TTT Admin, Forum Moderator, Discord Moderator, Public Relations Team Member, Media Team Member

I'm out

7 minutes ago, nap14hockey said:

Ok may i ask what the ports are for, and do you have the mac bound?

The ports are for a GMOD server I want to open for a few friends. I'm not sure what you mean by mac. 

Well, time to explain in detail, as for you ports. I currently dont know why its not showing up on a port checker, so i suggest try it.  Binding a mac means you reserve that internal ip (192.168.0.*) to that specific computer, so every time your computer disconnects or you reset your router, you dont need to modify the port forwarding rules to reflect the new internal ip that your router assigns

I'm out

4 minutes ago, nap14hockey said:

Well, time to explain in detail, as for you ports. I currently dont know why its not showing up on a port checker, so i suggest try it.  Binding a mac means you reserve that internal ip (192.168.0.*) to that specific computer, so every time your computer disconnects or you reset your router, you dont need to modify the port forwarding rules to reflect the new internal ip that your router assigns

Oh yes, I guess I have bound the mac for my PC then.

6 minutes ago, Dogger said:

Oh yes, I guess I have bound the mac for my PC then.

Pretty sure you haven't cause it shows you are using your internal IP of 192.168.0.10. it should not matter anyway as long as you don't restart your router.

Open up cmd and type ipconfig. Make sure the PC you are hosting on has local IP of 192.168.0.10.

Have you also put these ports through in your windows firewall? If not that is the problem and is why no one can connect.

I can do all this for you if let me teamviewer you. If you are one of those people still too scared to use teamviewer. I will just have to help you another way but message me whatever.

Posted  Edited by Dogger
6 minutes ago, denros said:

Pretty sure you haven't cause it shows you are using your internal IP of 192.168.0.10.

Open up cmd and type ipconfig. Make sure the PC you are hosting on has local IP of 192.168.0.10.

Have you also put these ports through in your windows firewall? If not that is the problem and is why no one can connect.

I am only testing one of the ports I am opening (3478) and I have put both TCP and UDP through my firewall in windows. 

Here is a snip of my IPv4 in cmd: 3275ff3639.png.

Tell me if I'm wrong about something.

If I can't figure it out after doing everything people suggest and you are willing to help me I would be totally okay with teamviewer thanks!

Edited by Dogger

3 minutes ago, denros said:

it all depends on your router, check your router network logs. See if you see any errors.

I have checked the DOCSIS Event section of my router settings and it seems I have quite a few errors. Do you want me to share them?

1 hour ago, Glacius said:

Some ISP's block ports for security reasons.

Have you tried calling them and asking if this is the case?

No but I don't think this is the case. I have port forwarded with this router before and there was no problem, I guess it was something I did recently that is causing a problem.

3 minutes ago, Dogger said:

No but I don't think this is the case. I have port forwarded with this router before and there was no problem, I guess it was something I did recently that is causing a problem.

There is a chance that your ISP is only blocking certain range, instead of all ports.

Have you been able to host a similar service before, or is this the first attempt?

y81V.jpg