CoyoteDiver

Huge FPS drop at start of round

I've got an older rig, but usually can get 40-60 fps throughout most maps. However before zombies spawn, all the CTs make my FPS drop to a standstill on certain maps. Is there any settings I could change? It MIGHT be a sound issue as with a lot of footsteps my frames will drop.

As far as improving FPS, using the transparent models would help with that.

But CSGO wasn't made for 64 players, so its expected to struggle with that many players so close together.

Transparent models aren't usually a huge deal but I've noticed that it definitely does help at the start of round.

The transparent models that you can find with the !hide feature are not complete hides, but actually changes their opacity based on how far a human player model is from you. This means that at the start of a round, when everyone is clumped together, most if not everyone will be somewhat transparent. I find that it helps with the frame drops when everyone spawns. A better PC won't be bad though, just more expensive and not always an option for some people.

exist just to sleep

Posted  Edited by SpaZBoT - Edit Reason: edit

Make sure you have at least 6GB Ram - 8GB gives your CPU etc some extra crunching time ....like buffering .....my compaq piece of was a different laptop when I went from 2GB to 8GB.....I dunno how its  survived my punishment this far...its done 700 hrs plus of pretty hardcore TF2 thrashing .....I gotta get a nu desktop....badly to :).....

*****BUT I did have TF2/ Steam  running reasonably  ( sometimes with a full server ) well on Linux Ubun 16.04 , 2 years ago with just 2GB RAM and a very average Intel VGA Graphics Card.....

and if your prepared to give ubuntu 18.04 a go its rock solid and way way out performs Win in all areas...Dual boot easy as to setup installs from USB in less than 30 mins :))

https://releases.ubuntu.com/18.04/

Edited by SpaZBoT
edit

On 10/21/2020 at 3:18 PM, SpaZBoT said:

Make sure you have at least 6GB Ram - 8GB gives your CPU etc some extra crunching time ....like buffering .....my compaq piece of was a different laptop when I went from 2GB to 8GB.....I dunno how its  survived my punishment this far...its done 700 hrs plus of pretty hardcore TF2 thrashing .....I gotta get a nu desktop....badly to :).....

*****BUT I did have TF2/ Steam  running reasonably  ( sometimes with a full server ) well on Linux Ubun 16.04 , 2 years ago with just 2GB RAM and a very average Intel VGA Graphics Card.....

and if your prepared to give ubuntu 18.04 a go its rock solid and way way out performs Win in all areas...Dual boot easy as to setup installs from USB in less than 30 mins :))

https://releases.ubuntu.com/18.04/

I have 8GB DDR2, on a 10-year-old AMD Phenom II processor... I'm upgrading soon though. I had 16.04 dual-booted, but a windows update a few months ago messed up my boot sequence. I still have the Ubuntu partition there, I just boot directly into Windows now. GRUB doesn't load at all.