Scott

Trying to get into Guitar again, where should I start?

Posted  Edited by Scott

I'm trying to get into guitar again, after failing the first time some years back :). I want to know where I should start, because I feel like last time I tried to learn it, I lacked direction. 

I already have a guitar from when I tried to learn the first time (Epiphone Les Paul Special II), just need a direction.

Thanks for the help :happytree:

Edited by Scott

╔                               ╗

Scott

Hey man, awesome that you're gonna get back into guitar again! 

I fell into the same boat during lockdown, I wanted to get back into the violin, but I ended up giving up.

Personally, I feel your best bet is going to be trying to remember what you already know, and then try and go from there. 

- By this I mean like if you already know the fingerings, move on to trying to play some songs, and see if you can read sheet music and tabs and shit -

Best of luck with this!

759110999_GFLSignature.png.5f98a0d75491ad7bc17aaf7a35c1f7bf.png

Thank you @AceOfSpadesMM for the signature! Very much appreciated.

It depends on your previous experience. As a fellow guitarrist I can say it's gonna take a while to go back to the same level you were before, but it's gonna be easier. It also depends on which genre of music you like playing. I do like playing metal/rock. So I usually start with some old rock songs that aren't as complicated, start with your basic riffs and then you can move on to some simple solos. After a while your fingers will be quicker and you'll be able to shred way more easily. Don't be like me that after 2 years of not playing I started with Smooth and Black Magic Woman by Carlos Santana and lost all motivation because I couldn't play them. So, take it easy m8!

1654039214_lennyfacesignaturejarm2_webp.png.77166eade8f7320848ec595e26aa1230.png

Just now, jarm323 said:

It depends on your previous experience. As a fellow guitarrist I can say it's gonna take a while to go back to the same level you were before, but it's gonna be easier. It also depends on which genre of music you like playing. I do like playing metal/rock. So I usually start with some old rock songs that aren't as complicated, start with your basic riffs and then you can move on to some simple solos. After a while your fingers will be quicker and you'll be able to shred way more easily. Don't be like me that after 2 years of not playing I started with Smooth and Black Magic Woman by Carlos Santana and lost all motivation because I couldn't play them. So, take it easy m8!

Black Magic Woman, what a beautiful song.

759110999_GFLSignature.png.5f98a0d75491ad7bc17aaf7a35c1f7bf.png

Thank you @AceOfSpadesMM for the signature! Very much appreciated.

5 minutes ago, EJ. said:

Black Magic Woman, what a beautiful song.

To me Santana is one of the best guitarists. A lot of his style influenced me when I began improvising my own solos and you can never go wrong with a Santana-Style solo :lenny:

1654039214_lennyfacesignaturejarm2_webp.png.77166eade8f7320848ec595e26aa1230.png

Posted  Edited by Pachimo

I personally think it really depends on how you learn. Go for classes that do a specific way to help you that you will find it easier. There's plenty of online tutorials and classes that are very useful and they are worth a shot looking for.

I have tried learning guitar and while it's an instrument I really like, I don't think it was something I could understand at all. Went for piano instead where I learned to play by ear but my hands are too small for comfort… :c

Edited by Pachimo

original.gif

Achievements

Posted  Edited by Jinzu

If you haven't dabbled in music theory, I would start there (focusing on guitar ofc).

But if you just wanna play songs and/or fingerstyle then practicing the tabs would be the best way to learn new songs.

Edited by Jinzu

Achievements

Posted  Edited by flamingpixelations

something that helped me starting out and even now is Rocksmith, it does a really good job of teaching guitar techniques and being able to visualise the notes really helps me, espeically when learning new songs. As a note from looking it up just now it's discounted a whole lot atm. Although you need a cable to plug it in or a really good mic to record sound and the cables are pretty expensive. Although as an added bonus the cable functions as a digital audio input that can feed into audacity and the game has a built in digital pedals and amps and stuff, but eh.

Edited by flamingpixelations

1107951178_alexisbanner.thumb.png.d7ca1e71df7c98ca1d07991466c62ed7.png

Thanks to @BlazingArson for the signature ❤️
Ko-Fi image.png.d5454ca380d782432beb60154e315225.png

29 minutes ago, flamingpixelations said:

something that helped me starting out and even now is Rocksmith, it does a really good job of teaching guitar techniques and being able to visualise the notes really helps me, espeically when learning new songs. As a note from looking it up just now it's discounted a whole lot atm. Although you need a cable to plug it in or a really good mic to record sound and the cables are pretty expensive. Although as an added bonus the cable functions as a digital audio input that can feed into audacity and the game has a built in digital pedals and amps and stuff, but eh.

Oh yeah, Rocksmith is cool as fuck, I even bought the remastered version for Xbox. It is a great way to learn new songs. Super friendly and easy to get started with. Even though the songs are a bit expensive, it is a great tool.

13 hours ago, flamingpixelations said:

12 hours ago, jarm323 said:

Oh yeah, Rocksmith is cool as fuck, I even bought the remastered version for Xbox. It is a great way to learn new songs. Super friendly and easy to get started with. Even though the songs are a bit expensive, it is a great tool.

I just bought Rocksmith again for PC in the autumn sale. I had it before on PS4, so I have the cable. I'm giving it a retry, since it keeps coming up :)

╔                               ╗

Scott

1 hour ago, Scott said:

I just bought Rocksmith again for PC in the autumn sale. I had it before on PS4, so I have the cable. I'm giving it a retry, since it keeps coming up :)

Yeah, I actually bought the les Paul jr bundle back on ps3 when it was first released, quickly found out that the customsforge ignition4 search on pc made switching a good idea.

1107951178_alexisbanner.thumb.png.d7ca1e71df7c98ca1d07991466c62ed7.png

Thanks to @BlazingArson for the signature ❤️
Ko-Fi image.png.d5454ca380d782432beb60154e315225.png