GhostWasTaken

Bring back a minecraft server?

I was always told that GFL used to have a minecraft server, until it was taken down for reasons i do not know. i was curious if we could maybe bring a new one up considering minecraft has had a huge spike in players the past year. maybe a custom survival, minigames, or even skyblock server.  If there is a chance that we can bring one to life i would love to help with server configuring or even just as staff member and hopefully we can bring in players by advertising the server on multiple server browsing sites

There's probably a better explanation somewhere, but afair the last time this was attempted this past summer, which I don't think even made it to 'live', there were some serious issues with how GFL's network backend was working against it

It's not really a 'needs attention' thing, moreso a 'for this to work, a server would have to be made outside of the GFL network on a separate box elsewhere which was a contributing reason this got shut down earlier this year' thing

No. 

No, no and no.

Minecraft will never come back again, and for real this time. The game clearly does not fit in our category on how we host servers, and it caused issues in technical terms. Not to mention, it is already impossible enough to get unique players in SMP, let alone custom gamemode. 

76561198043643390.png

Maybe someone can try Ash suggestion do it with their own server then bring it to GFL if it shows promise-- can help it grow further?  I think we've had a few other servers do something similar although can't point my fingers to the exact ones (I think it was CS:S).  Is hosting a minecraft server expensive?

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

I personally wouldn't be against the idea. I see how there perhaps would be some technical difficulties but it's not lie that Minecraft has been reviving it's overall users. 

image.thumb.png.e7ef6fe90add134003a2346c8e6d9147.png 

Not saying that it would be a guaranteed success, but there would definitely be more chances for a better outcome than last summers. 

I also like the idea of what Joshy specified -

58 minutes ago, Joshy said:

Maybe someone can try Ash suggestion do it with their own server then bring it to GFL if it shows promise-- can help it grow further?  I think we've had a few other servers do something similar although can't point my fingers to the exact ones (I think it was CS:S).

I think if we had a lot of dedicated people working on a server- putting their strengths and/or talents together again, it may have a better outcome of what we may presume now. It would definitely take time to see proficient results but I'm confident with the fact that we might be able to pull something off.

Though, for anything to work.. we would need dedicated administrators & especially developers. From my experience, managing Minecraft server(s) isn't that difficult, rather easier than some of the games we manage now. Assuming so, it would be somewhat of a relief to know that it may not be a GIANT hassle overall but more of attainable.

Minecraft an OG, any Gaming Network would be crazy not to (re)consider it;)

There is also the fact that the player count will rise higher due to the fact the Community in Minecraft have found ways to make Bedrock Windows 10 Edition have multi-player access with Java Edition Servers.

I used to Administrate some Minecraft servers and it was incredibly fun, and I greatly miss doing something like that.

But that's just me rambling. But with what @Bue. has said, the dedication could be beneficial to us and it could work.

I don't think the network is in a place to handle minecraft right now and I think our technical and financial resources can be better utilized in other areas right now.

I'm going to be moving this to rejected for this reason as more discussion isn't going to change these realities.

71CFA5EE-923C-4740-ACF4-508B753C9AD7.png.92a0d40c0fa7773f71fea2453f581d16.png

(signature made by @Kaylode)

Previously known as Xy.

Twitter ❤️Ko-Fi ❤️Github

IMG_0248.jpg

ben_mixed_opinions.png