Roy

Who Is/Was Your Idol?

Hi everyone,

This is potentially my second cringe-worthy thread today, but just something I was interested in hearing from the community on. I am wondering who everybody's idol (if any) is/was.

For those interested, my idol was Roy Halladay. In fact, he's the origin of my online username, Roy (yes, my real name is Christian, not Roy). Roy Halladay was an MLB pitcher who played for the Philadelphia Phillies from 2010 - 2013. For those that do not know, I used to be a huge baseball fan (still am, but not as involved) and my favorite team is the Phillies.

The reason I say he was is because he passed away from a plane crash in 2017. It hurt pretty badly and I follow him on Twitter and flying was something he had a huge passion for outside of baseball in which I loved seeing his content on (he was the pilot when he died). He used to post about it all the time.

The reason he was a huge idol to me is the way he played the game. He was fully dedicated, worked hard, and dominate when needed to be. He also tried to play full games so he had many completed games which isn't as common nowadays in the MLB. Something that stuck to me was when he would pitch dominate performances, after each defensive inning, he would walk off the field and look like he gave up ten runs with his head down. He never celebrated until the game was fully ended and I guess I just love that mindset (never celebrate too early). With that said, in 2010, he had a Perfect Game (very, very rare and a huge accomplishment) and a no-hitter in the postseason (the second no-hitter in postseason history and the first postseason game he ever played in which is crazy, talking about being dominate in a time needed with all the pressure).

He was somebody I highly looked up to in the early stages of GFL as well which was nice. I'm not sure how to explain it, but it's like watching him play inspired me a lot and who knows, maybe that helped my mindset in GFL during those times.

Anyways, that's really it for me. Just figured maybe some of you would find this thread neat and now people know where my online username originated from, lol.

Who is/was your idol (if any)?

Hidden

Two people. Jonas Neubauer and Muhammad Ali. Mainly because of their personalities and who they were.

Jonas is a classic tetris player who is a legend in the classic tetris scene. He was a really kind soul who always radiated a friendly energy that you could be comfortable around. He passed away suddenly January of this year.

Muhammad Ali was a greater person than he was a boxer (and considering how good he was at boxing, that says a whole lot). He put up a loud front, but in all reality he was a quiet and kind soul who cared about people. For example, a story.

One time Muhammad heard there was a jumper at a building who was threatening to jump to their death. Muhammad went out of his way to rush to that person as fast as possible to talk the person out of it. And he was successful.

Most people would brag about this. Frankly, I would have. But he never spoke about it in interviews. He didn't care about the fame and how others viewed him. He just cared about being a wonderful human being. It's something I struggle to do, and aspire to be.

I write programs and stuff.

If you need to contact me, here is my discord tag: Dustin#6688

I am a busy person. So responses may be delayed.

1840045955_Thicco(1).thumb.png.87c04f05633286f3b45b381b4acc4602.png

39 minutes ago, _Rocket_ said:

Two people. Jonas Neubauer and Muhammad Ali. Mainly because of their personalities and who they were.

Jonas is a classic tetris player who is a legend in the classic tetris scene. He was a really kind soul who always radiated a friendly energy that you could be comfortable around. He passed away suddenly January of this year.

Muhammad Ali was a greater person than he was a boxer (and considering how good he was at boxing, that says a whole lot). He put up a loud front, but in all reality he was a quiet and kind soul who cared about people. For example, a story.

One time Muhammad heard there was a jumper at a building who was threatening to jump to their death. Muhammad went out of his way to rush to that person as fast as possible to talk the person out of it. And he was successful.

Most people would brag about this. Frankly, I would have. But he never spoke about it in interviews. He didn't care about the fame and how others viewed him. He just cared about being a wonderful human being. It's something I struggle to do, and aspire to be.

Somebody I've been researching a lot recently is Mike Tyson and I just love his story/timeline to be honest. One person he highly admired was Muhammad Ali. I started looking into Muhammad and yeah, he seems like a great person and boxer. It's sad what happened to him though and how he isn't here today (Parkinson’s disease, etc). I never knew about that story you shared regarding Muhammad though, so I'm going to do more research on him now 🙂 

Thank you for sharing!

Hidden

Mine isn't a celebrity or someone who is famous, but my idol is definitely my uncle. He had quite a few hardships in his the beginning of his life, and was forced to buy a house at the age of 18, which held my grandma (his mother), my mom (his sister), and three of us kids.

He's been someone who has been extremely smart with his finances and constantly knows what to do financial wise. I have nothing but a ton of respect and admiration towards him, not only for taking us in at his young age, but always treating us as if we were his own children.

759110999_GFLSignature.png.5f98a0d75491ad7bc17aaf7a35c1f7bf.png

Thank you @AceOfSpadesMM for the signature! Very much appreciated.

24 minutes ago, EJ. said:

Mine isn't a celebrity or someone who is famous, but my idol is definitely my uncle. He had quite a few hardships in his the beginning of his life, and was forced to buy a house at the age of 18, which held my grandma (his mother), my mom (his sister), and three of us kids.

He's been someone who has been extremely smart with his finances and constantly knows what to do financial wise. I have nothing but a ton of respect and admiration towards him, not only for taking us in at his young age, but always treating us as if we were his own children.

Thank you for sharing 🙂 

Honestly, having a family member be your idol is stronger since you're closer to them and can relate/probably have talked to them many times. Your Uncle definitely seems like a strong/intelligent person.

Posted  Edited by Roger Gunshot · Hidden
Hidden

I've never really been one for idols or heroes, but Hank Aaron is the first name that comes to mind. Everything he went through and the way he carried himself and handled everything that got thrown at him is something I admire more than anything. When I was still playing baseball, I wanted to be like him, though obviously I never could since he's the GOAT in my opinion. His on the field accomplishments were incredible, from beating Babe Ruth's home run record:

To having 3771 hits, enough that if you were to take away all 755 of his home runs, he would still be well over 3000 hits in his career. Hank was a true giant, on and off the field, but also one of the humblest men to hear those who knew him tell it. I may not have been able to watch him play, but I have been able to watch videos of him, here current players talk about him, teammates talk about him, etc. His passing has been one of the very few celebrity passings that made me cry, and would make me tear up for several days following. My pfp on Discord is still a picture of him, and I keep a quote of his on my phone's lockscreen:

image.jpeg.2da9799227bb59482acef367da8230bb.jpeg

Edited by Roger Gunshot

image.thumb.png.2ef4bb5d1eba87658f3aa07bcdc16760.png

Signature by @Auralanity

Posted  Edited by Calebevb · Hidden
Hidden

1 hour ago, Roger Gunshot said:

I've never really been one for idols or heroes, but Hank Aaron is the first name that comes to mind. Everything he went through and the way he carried himself and handled everything that got thrown at him is something I admire more than anything. When I was still playing baseball, I wanted to be like him, though obviously I never could since he's the GOAT in my opinion. His on the field accomplishments were incredible, from beating Babe Ruth's home run record:

To having 3771 hits, enough that if you were to take away all 755 of his home runs, he would still be well over 3000 hits in his career. Hank was a true giant, on and off the field, but also one of the humblest men to hear those who knew him tell it. I may not have been able to watch him play, but I have been able to watch videos of him, here current players talk about him, teammates talk about him, etc. His passing has been one of the very few celebrity passings that made me cry, and would make me tear up for several days following. My pfp on Discord is still a picture of him, and I keep a quote of his on my phone's lockscreen:

image.jpeg.2da9799227bb59482acef367da8230bb.jpeg

such an amazing player, I love watching old clips of him and other players 

My Idol Is probably Justin Verlander. He was for one an amazing pitcher and has 3 no hitters to this day like this one

I've really always watched his games since I was a toddler and I've owned 2-3 of his Jerseys and he made it so watching pitching in baseball is actually really entertaining. last time I saw him in person I think was in about 2017 or 18 and he actually didnt give up a single hit until the 7th or 8th inning, so that was pretty cool to see from him.

Edited by Calebevb

Enchantment table.PNG

Hidden

I'd say if I had an idol that was a celebrity, it'd have to be Freddie Mercury because of just how good of a performer and vocalist he was. I always love listening to his songs and his success really inspires me to try to work very hard (even though my singing kinda sucks) in school. He makes me want to have my own life and legacy behind my name.

A family idol would probably be my dad bc he's really patient and understanding. I want to be like him bc he's super easy to talk to and he's taught me so much about how to be successful in life, but he doesn't try to completely overload me with things when I'm feeling overwhelmed. He's just a good guy and I like that.

-Brotherwolf

Hidden

Kind of weird but mine would definitely Roman Atwood, mainly for the fact I have been watching him and his family on YouTube for multiple years. Roman's family has helped me through soooo much throughout my life and they're always so positive trying to lift up everyone around them.

Another one would be my dad, I have seen my dad do so many good things through my life and help so many people out. My dad is the type of person that would give some random person off the street the shirt off of his back. One day I was playing video games in the living room just having fun, and randomly I heard my dad yell out to me In fear of someone's life I went upstairs to see him on the ground giving my aunt CPR on the phone with the EMS. My father sat there for 30 minute's giving my aunt CPR while waiting for the EMS to get out to our house, If it wasn't for my Dad my aunt would have died 2 years ago (she actually died for about like 15 minutes). My aunt ended up living all thanks to my dad!