DaLaw

LIfe is rough.

Posted  Edited by DaLaw

So I spent my entire morning and afternoon trying to fix my computer. It kept shutting down before it even loaded. Before, I knew it was a crappy computer but still. I wasted so much time running scans and having someone take a look at it. In the end I had to reset everything, and I mean everything. Resetting didn't really help, yes I could use it but websites were blocked, I couldn't update it, and I can't open any apps so no games or programs. But luckily I am getting I new computer Wednesday or Thursday. Currently I'm on my laptop that can't do shit. So I guess that means I can't be on Purge or TTT. Rip to me. Just don't waste your money on a crappy computer that's only gonna last a couple years. So my question is what would you guys/girls do, buy/build a new computer or pay to get a shitty one fixed?

Edited by DaLaw

GFL Ranks

[Former] Manager for Purge/DarkRP.                 

[Former] Manager for AWP 24/7

[Former] Senior Badmin for the old Purge.

[Former] Senior Badmin for the new Purge.             

[Former] Senior Admin for Hightower. 

[Former] Server Admin for 2Fort. 

[Former] Server Admin for 2Fort 2

[Former] Human Resources.  

[Bans] Old Purge - 400+

[Joined] 2012-2013.

Achievements

5 minutes ago, Lukah said:

Did you try to unplug it and plug it back in

Yeah, I tried basically everything.

GFL Ranks

[Bans] Old Purge - 400+

[Joined] 2012-2013.

Achievements

Technology is advancing so quickly that you wouldn't even want your computer to last longer than a year or two anyways.

Often times, shutting down before it loads means the CPU is overheated; it become increasingly sensitive to temperature each time it becomes overheated (semiconductors characteristics change), and so it's probably too late to recover from this now, but you can learn for the next computer.  Ensure good air flow can be preserved wherever you place it, and try having a cleaning routine...  even spraying it with compressed air can help, and check regularly that all the cooling systems such as fans work (some people just download CPUID to get a rough idea of the temperature).  Someone smoking in home, if that is the case for you , can really ruin things for you because it makes the air sticky; you'll have to double up on your cleaning efforts.  If you're using a laptop, then I would recommend using a cooler (example) whenever you can.

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

6 minutes ago, JerryHatTrick said:

I recently fried my CPU & basically rebuilt the rig I had.

I replaced everything but the case & RAM - the question is, is your rig worth upgrading?

Anyone can have their computer "fixed", but replace the components yourself & you'll save a ton of $$.

It's not that difficult, if someone like me can do it.  :)

I also smoke, and have to clean frequently.  I have a good rig, though :)

21Yakfgl.jpg

I'm going to buy all new parts, and a new shell. So basically I'm starting fresh. Plus it would be updated, and just a nice clean start. Unfortunately I did lose everything on my hard drive.

GFL Ranks

[Bans] Old Purge - 400+

[Joined] 2012-2013.

Achievements

1 hour ago, DaLaw said:

Unfortunately I did lose everything on my hard drive.

I recommend getting External Hard Drive to backup most of the stuff you use just in case. I recently backed up my stuff just in case of emergency.

76561198043643390.png

12 hours ago, JerryHatTrick said:

I recently fried my CPU & basically rebuilt the rig I had.

I replaced everything but the case & RAM - the question is, is your rig worth upgrading?

Anyone can have their computer "fixed", but replace the components yourself & you'll save a ton of $$.

It's not that difficult, if someone like me can do it.  :)

I also smoke, and have to clean frequently.  I have a good rig, though :)

21Yakfgl.jpg

That is some awful cable management lol

yeah.gif

56 minutes ago, JerryHatTrick said:

Actually, I realized that this is my pc before the rebuild, sorry.

Here's a new pic. And cables still run everywhere :)

Nothing like the wires behind my desk though :)

20161120_085023.jpg

e4ec46f20f91451687d8021a0ca8fe09.png

This was when I was building it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7a16ab4b5414476b9dae36b7be76afa7.png

This is it now. The PCI-E cable is made for SLI, so there's always some things hanging.. The Sata cable you can see on the right, doesnt go through the back lol. Overall I think I did okay with this build

yeah.gif

On 11/19/2016 at 10:05 PM, Benroyjam said:

I recommend getting External Hard Drive to backup most of the stuff you use just in case. I recently backed up my stuff just in case of emergency.

I second this. I recently recovered a hard drive from an old laptop. It's now used as an external hard drive. I lost that laptop a long while ago and it was with regret that I never backed it up, but I was fortunate enough to salvage the drive without any damage. External Drives are a lifesaver.

Mercer Frey

TF2 Division Leader

Mr. MercerWM.png