Ghost_Assassin

Massive Ransomware Infection

This is just pure evil. Couldn't they (whoever they are) target a bank instead?

We all start out as idealists only to slowly but surely become realists one day, the likes of which we'd never imagine we would become. Meanwhile we stare back at new idealists and see a reflection of what we once were.

Facing reality to get through life.

:cockatiel: I drink birds alive and whole while petting them :cockatiel:

devolver_future_future_gif_by_digi_matri

lol @ that news buzzword "accidental". IMHO Malwaretech is selling himself short. How many of us would know wtf to do much less new media? eh? kudos to Malwaretech. Respect earned.

We all start out as idealists only to slowly but surely become realists one day, the likes of which we'd never imagine we would become. Meanwhile we stare back at new idealists and see a reflection of what we once were.

10 hours ago, Cypher said:

Not a buzzword to me. That's just how I read it. Wasn't intended to detract any sort of earned respect from anyone else.

Its alright you were reading it right. Even MalwareTech said so himself. I still think he's selling himself short by calling it accidental since its something he didn't expect to happen. Look at Capt. Sully for example. Prior to the Hudson landing it was expected that a water landing would tear an aircraft apart (it actually still did w/ the bottom ripped open and one of the engines knocked off the mounting). He even expected it to happen but it didn't the way all pilots at the time would think would happen (cabin was intact) and everyone survived. Call it "accidental" or "a miracle" but a certain degree of skill was involved as well.

Going back to the story, point being that he had a direct impact on stopping the spread even if there were other factors (like the hackers' choice to make the domain being registered a kill trigger) contributing to a good outcome. Anyways here's his full story minus the Guardian/CNN/NBC/Fox News editing.

https://www.malwaretech.com/2017/05/how-to-accidentally-stop-a-global-cyber-attacks.html

On 5/13/2017 at 11:46 AM, Cypher said:

Already over. Dude accidentally found the killswitch.

The killswitch was the dude registering the domain the virus was spread via, all someone needs to do is change that domain and the virus spreads again. As we speak, shittons of variations of the virus are spreading everywhere.. Sadly, it's far from over

(side note, the criminals only made around 30k from this huge ass attack as of yesterday)

Posted  Edited by rapperdan
32 minutes ago, Monsoon said:

This shit is scary tbh fam.. Hope they can patch it :wutface:

They did patch it, the target was outdated windows.

my source - 88908a5c48e04d9eac3cf324cebfd217.png

Also I'm secure even if I did not update my windows ac45de6d4eee451ea5c3c4a4c4f33e65.png

Edited by rapperdan

Achievements

A lesson to keep your OS updated even if that pop up annoys you in the middle of a game. :lenny:

3CHU8mH.jpg

Or in my case when I'm on a youtube streak lel

ximage7.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+