_Rocket_

A GFL Video Game

For those of you who follow this thread, please note: I will likely keep progress updates in the actual project page (you can find it on the first post of this thread and in my signature). If you want to stay updated on the game's progress, you might want to follow that project instead. I'll probably put in my first update sometime today.

I write programs and stuff.

If you need to contact me, here is my discord tag: Dustin#6688

I am a busy person. So responses may be delayed.

1840045955_Thicco(1).thumb.png.87c04f05633286f3b45b381b4acc4602.png

Alright, so all further updates from now on will take place in the project shown in my signature. I already made an update today 😄

Before I go though. If you want an idea of how much work it can take to make a game, here's all the code it took to make a player entity class that has functioning ground detection, gravity, and motion.

https://pastebin.com/uq30Bbs6

Have fun reading that 😄

Okay I need a math boi to help me out here. I am making video game thing. There is a gun sprite that a player holds. This game is 2D. The barrel of the gun sprite needs to point at the crosshair. This crosshair can move all over the screen. My goal is to make the gun point at the crosshair. This means I need some form of math formula to calculate this. Does anyone know what this formula could be?

This likely involves pi in some way I know that much lol

Because it is a 360 degree rotation.

The point of origin will be exactly where the player is. The crosshair can be anywhere at any time within the current view of the game.

I was about to suggest a way to do it but you figured it out :(

Good job though

“I was so good at being a kid, and so terrible at being whatever I was now.”
― John Green, Turtles All the Way Down

Achievements

4 hours ago, Duc2000 said:

I was about to suggest a way to do it but you figured it out :(

Good job though

Honestly without the suggestions you gave me yesterday, I doubt I would've figured it out. At least not until I spent another few hours on it skhdhryeyeyebdhd So I still greatly appreciate the help.

Sorry i'm late to the party. Better late than never though. Count me into the game.

"Sacrifices have to be made to get somewhere in life." - Rebecca_Doodles (Friday Night Funkin' Starving Artist Mod)

Just to let everyone know, soon I will begin contacting people about their applications. (Probably sometime this week or next week)

I want to let you all know now, I may not be able to add all that apply. I am still making a game. The game needs to be fun and have good pacing. I can't have too many enemies otherwise the pacing will be all over the place.

This means that I will likely contact you when I get to you. In there, I will probably discuss how I envision your character and what I am thinking of doing. I will try to remain true to what you requested in the application, but I likely can't make it *perfect*.

Try to make your application serious. Any joke applications will be instantly deleted. And you can choose whatever you please in the application, but I would appreciate if you had an open mind when I do contact you. So far I have had some applicants give really cool ideas that I will probably even add in game. But there are already some applicants I will need to contact to negotiate other ideas.

If I just don't find any room for you, don't take it personally. I really appreciate the amount of interest this project has already gotten, and it is a lot of motivation that I most definitely need.

Don't let all of this discourage you. Go ahead and still apply. And if you don't want anything unique about your character, then that is perfectly fine. If anything I would appreciate a few less complex characters to help ease my workload. Just put what you want in your application. We can always discuss things when I contact you after all.

Thanks guys!

7 hours ago, _Rocket_ said:

Just to let everyone know, soon I will begin contacting people about their applications. (Probably sometime this week or next week)

I want to let you all know now, I may not be able to add all that apply. I am still making a game. The game needs to be fun and have good pacing. I can't have too many enemies otherwise the pacing will be all over the place.

This means that I will likely contact you when I get to you. In there, I will probably discuss how I envision your character and what I am thinking of doing. I will try to remain true to what you requested in the application, but I likely can't make it *perfect*.

Try to make your application serious. Any joke applications will be instantly deleted. And you can choose whatever you please in the application, but I would appreciate if you had an open mind when I do contact you. So far I have had some applicants give really cool ideas that I will probably even add in game. But there are already some applicants I will need to contact to negotiate other ideas.

If I just don't find any room for you, don't take it personally. I really appreciate the amount of interest this project has already gotten, and it is a lot of motivation that I most definitely need.

Don't let all of this discourage you. Go ahead and still apply. And if you don't want anything unique about your character, then that is perfectly fine. If anything I would appreciate a few less complex characters to help ease my workload. Just put what you want in your application. We can always discuss things when I contact you after all.

Thanks guys!

Count me in

zombie.gif.9f61cda00cc278f3206b18d15c4fe7f3.gif.1f008076e6c4f4e9413e07a2042164f4.gif

Posted  Edited by _Rocket_

Welp. In the past two days I have worked a total of 10 hours to get the AI to work without lag. I had to spend about 6 hours getting the AI to work properly. That included getting proper scripts running. In that time I also had to make sure I wrote the code in a way that is easy to expand on to make my life easier later. The other 4 hours was improving performance.

Without my fixes, the game was running at 20 fps while using 28% of my CPU when there was only 50 enemies on a medium sized map. This was terrible. So I pretty much scripted the map to spawn 100 enemies on a large map. Mind you, I plan the average amount of enemies to be around 25. I wanted to make sure this ran as efficiently as possible.

At first the game almost killed itself. I had recently programmed the AI to constantly fire weapons. Bullets have to be handled, same with ground detection and gravity and all that other mess. This resulted in my game actually crashing one time.

So, I spent 4 hours today doing a ton of playtesting and brainstorming. I made a few changes to the way some of the mechanics in this game work for one. These changes made them more efficient. Another thing I utilized heavily was multi-threading.

In the end, the game was running a full 60 fps with reasonable CPU usage. I still believe I can improve on a few areas, but right now it is working pretty damn good.

TL;DR: AI is working now. The game originally ran at 20 fps when AI and other mechanics were first implemented, but I dramatically improved the games efficiency to run at full 60 fps (60 fps is the frame rate limit)

Edited by _Rocket_

• 2 weeks later...

To anyone following this post, I could use your help on this if you have the time: 

Thanks.