Should Operator be a rank in the Gmod part of the community?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Should Operator be a rank in the Gmod part of the community?

I, personally, don't understand the role of operator, some servers, in example @Xy_'s, replace trials with them, and @TheSadBandit had made an example of how some servers they only deal with comms, we might as well get what they are doing straight, or just use trials.

40 minutes ago, Xy_ said:

As a manager, I like having the option to try someone as an operator rather than giving them full access from the beginning. It limits the amount of damage that a potentially abusive member of staff could do before being dealt with.

And if you don't trust someone with all the powers, why give them any? A tiny taste just makes them more hungry.

In this case, they will be more power hungry, if you do what TTT does with trials, they know they missing out on very little, (in this case tags and pbans) so they don't get all that hungry for the cheese.

1289603434_Addaheading.png.eadfebe80166124e1eaa8a5d7a6442df.png1941766073_Addaheading(1).png.2c1fac40b4dfe13ef401709e1570aa01.png

7 minutes ago, Lone Sniper Skeleton said:

And if you don't trust someone with all the powers, why give them any?

Too many people change when given power thus the creation of a rank that limits powers and puts the player(s) in a probationary phase. Regardless, Ive always thought adding an operator rank is up the manager, would like to see it stay that way. 

Image result for roo emotes

Achievements

3 minutes ago, HackingPotato said:

Too many people change when given power thus the creation of a rank that limits powers and puts the player(s) in a probationary phase. Regardless, Ive always thought adding an operator rank is up the manager, would like to see it stay that way. 

I've rarely seen someone change for the better when given power, it usually no change, or a change for the worse, and only being able to affect on comms is most likely not enough power to produce any change in their personality. Which is why I like the way TTT does it, where the T admin has the powers of a full admin (except for Pbans and tags), however, we keep a close eye on them for any scenarios in which could affect if they go onto the next step, for example, a change in how they act, if they become abusive of their powers.

1289603434_Addaheading.png.eadfebe80166124e1eaa8a5d7a6442df.png1941766073_Addaheading(1).png.2c1fac40b4dfe13ef401709e1570aa01.png

Instead of voting for whether it should be a thing, think: 1. does it affect me. And 2. Does it really matter? Personally operator sounds better than trial admin, but its the same. They have the same limitations, so why even bother. If the system has worked so far overall, why change it. 

10.png

09d0b896183dbff5a60d2b2cc222695d.png

367262534_BOI.png.c132dc31a7816b5ef0a2142c6559bc4c.png

Achievements

Posted  Edited by Joshy

I use to cheat and make operators "Trial Admins" or lower tiered "Admins" when operators did not have access to Server Admins category.  People always complained about "communication issues" and then they wanted this whole thing where you exclude your entry level leadership from the discussions and updates.

They've corrected this issue and I give it a total thumbs up.  I really see them as two of the same roles with different titles.

Edited by Joshy

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

tbh a rank called operator makes more sense if it were used to signify someone has been on the server a lot. at least to me it does. i think the powers that the operator has is better suited to be called mod. i've played on nongfl servers where they have mods that fulfill the same role that operator does and it's easier to follow using that naming convention as opposed to the one that's currently in use.

16 hours ago, Lone Sniper Skeleton said:

And if you don't trust someone with all the powers, why give them any? A tiny taste just makes them more hungry.

In this case, they will be more power hungry, if you do what TTT does with trials, they know they missing out on very little, (in this case tags and pbans) so they don't get all that hungry for the cheese.

You'd be surprised. We actually only have/have had only one operator on breach who complains about not having enough power.

“I was so good at being a kid, and so terrible at being whatever I was now.”
― John Green, Turtles All the Way Down

Achievements