Roy

We Need Ideas From (Dark)RP Players!

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to spark some discussion on ideas for our DarkRP server. I noticed there weren't many suggestions. I'm hoping to gather as many responses from players who've played on other RP servers in the past (preferably under the DarkRP/general RP category since that's our server's game mode), but anybody is welcome to suggest ideas!

These ideas can come from things you've seen on other RP servers and new ideas are of course, always welcomed, but please do not attack any non-GFL RP servers in this post. What I'm looking for specifically with these suggestions are:

1. Ideas you'd really like to see implemented on the server.
  2. Ideas you think many other players would enjoy which would result in more players staying on the server (if these ideas turn into features, they could be added to the host name as well to bring in new players who see it in the server browser).

With that said, if these ideas came from other servers, what could we potentially do better with the idea implementation that would put our server preference over other servers regarding this idea/feature?

I'm also a big supporter of our staff going onto other servers and seeing what they do and seeing if we could implement it in a way that's more attractive or the implementation can be better. In the end, we just need to stand out from other servers and offer things that other servers don't along with things other servers provide, but implemented in a better way. I'd like to find a balance in implementing features many other servers have (but perhaps try to implement them in ways that players would prefer us over other RP servers) and also having our own unique features.

If you have a lot to write, I'd highly recommend creating your own thread here!

I apologize if I didn't word things great in this post as well. I'm being less formal in this post because it's meant to spark discussion, but I do believe I got the point across.

Let me know what you think!

Hidden

I think staff idling could help with the population issue. The server is pretty good, but the player base is super weak. Most of the time the server is completely empty, and its peak would be like 7 people. 

Also the disease spread is really annoying sometimes. The launch day was just people getting the sickness and the guy who made it refused to sell vaccines. A lot of players left after the spread. 

jitticus

Hidden

The current login time to download things is way to long. If you don’t have fast internet and you don’t have unlimited download (internet wise) this will really effect player base. No one wants to be waiting 20-30 mins logging into the server. Maybe there is a way to trim the addons down but still make the server fun. Making them into files for people to download on the workshop like it used to have so they can install the addons before hand to ease the server entry? 

76561198130815225.png

8EFBB426-F3D7-4A6C-B409-7372CCCD11F5-1640-000003D5E8AD4561.png

Hidden

Honestly the whole infection thing is annoying, need more jobs, last time I went on, bitminer 2 didn't work and so did the oil things, maybe it works now, i don't know 

ezgif-6-41ffdc42fcf4.gif

Hidden

Also, there is no goal or reason to grind. Purge had reasons to grind and it was competitive which is why it was so much fun. I am not sure what it was, maybe the constant chaos? Maybe it was the fact that you would get raided and have to restart? People now just make borderline unraidable bases and there is no reason to raid. Don't add weird stuff like the diseases, add some of the same stuff that was in purge. Also more cars, we only have 4 

jitticus

Posted  Edited by positive · Hidden
Hidden

Keep it simple, keep it balanced. No need to pack the server with too many jobs.

• The ATM Interest is OP. 15% Positive Interest every 15 minutes is just insanely high and making $$$ is just too easy and too quick. Narrow it down, 2-5% every 20+ minutes should do (after an economic reset of course).
  • Reemphasizing @Joel - Keep the amount of useless addons to the absolute minimum. The first time server load for the new player is long enough as it is!
  • There's no reason not to make it a Purge server. Purge is DarkRP just less boring and people naturally gravitate towards it as there are significantly less purge servers than darkrp.
  • My first point leads me to this; make sure that all ways to make money are 100% working, 100% balanced, not too nerfed and too OP. People claim that bitminers are just not worth it, and that oil doesn't really work. Printers are cool.
  • Most importantly once the server is all set - an ACTIVE admin team. Not just afk, but active. You NEED an effective population base and an admin team is specifically that. Especially in the short run after a server launch.

These are my two cents for now.

Edited by positive

1 hour ago, positive said:

Keep it simple, keep it balanced. No need to pack the server with too many jobs.

• The ATM Interest is OP. 15% Positive Interest every 15 minutes is just insanely high and making $$$ is just too easy and too quick. Narrow it down, 2-5% every 20+ minutes should do (after an economic reset of course).
  • Reemphasizing @TheJitFace - Keep the amount of useless addons to the absolute minimum. The first time server load for the new player is long enough as it is!
  • There's no reason not to make it a Purge server. Purge is DarkRP just less boring and people naturally gravitate towards it as there are significantly less purge servers than darkrp.
  • My first point leads me to this; make sure that all ways to make money are 100% working, 100% balanced, not too nerfed and too OP. People claim that bitminers are just not worth it, and that oil doesn't really work. Printers are cool.
  • Most importantly once the server is all set - an ACTIVE admin team. Not just afk, but active. You NEED an effective population base and an admin team is specifically that. Especially in the short run after a server launch.

These are my two cents for now.

The only possible problem I see with making it a Purge server is I feel the name isn't as popular nowadays. We'd definitely want to keep it in the "DarkRP" category within the server browser since that's the #1 category in GMod though (at the very top). When we released the Purge server in 2014, I feel the movies were more new/popular/(hyped?) since the first and second ones were just released within that past year IIRC. I just want to ensure we're appealing to a majority of the player base at first because getting new players is super important to start off.

I don't think it'll hurt to try at this point though and who knows, maybe it'll grab a lot of player's attention.

Hidden
6 hours ago, Roy said:

The only possible problem I see with making it a Purge server is I feel the name isn't as popular nowadays. We'd definitely want to keep it in the "DarkRP" category within the server browser since that's the #1 category in GMod though (at the very top). When we released the Purge server in 2014, I feel the movies were more new/popular/(hyped?) since the first and second ones were just released within that past year IIRC. I just want to ensure we're appealing to a majority of the player base at first because getting new players is super important to start off.

I don't think it'll hurt to try at this point though and who knows, maybe it'll grab a lot of player's attention.

I think changing it to purge would be better, dark rp is just you make money, buy stuff, raid. Purge is just chaotic which makes it so fun. There has to be some kind of advertisement though, not posting a video on the GFL YT channel type, something else. 

jitticus

1 minute ago, TheJitFace said:

I think changing it to purge would be better, dark rp is just you make money, buy stuff, raid. Purge is just chaotic which makes it so fun. There has to be some kind of advertisement though, not posting a video on the GFL YT channel type, something else. 

I definitely agree the game mode itself is better and more entertaining. I just want to make sure we're appealing to a majority of the player base to start since new players are important and if "Purge" isn't as known nowadays, it's going to be a lot harder starting the server off (which is the stage we normally fail at). I'm all for changing the game mode to Purge as well because I mean, it can't hurt at this point. We can always change it to something else if it doesn't work out in my opinion.

Posted  Edited by Alexis · Hidden
Hidden

Honestly I feel like the cars are unnecessary. The fact that players can use them to get away from someone or as a extra shield that is technically unbreakable is kind of annoying. The other matter is, is that the map isn't large enough for a point to have vehicles, I feel like the map should be back to the original popular one without the beach and all the extra editions. Since we are decreasing player slots, we should shrink the map to the original version. I believe doing that will decrease FPS issues and improve optimization and play time.

I also believe that all classes that come with guns shouldn't come with any, the fact the Hitman gets a automatic for free is annoying, the RDM is more common. It will also give the Gun Dealer more importance on the server, making him something to automatically go towards to.

Also we should remove the ability to have one way bases, or just buff some of the guns to shoot through props (the one that can't), it's unfair that certain bases are unraidable. It's also unfair that certain weapons can't shoot through one way props, while others can, a new player won't be able to tell without having experience.

I might come up with more thoughts and ideas.

Edited by Alexis

Hidden
41 minutes ago, Alexis said:

Honestly I feel like the cars are unnecessary. The fact that players can use them to get away from someone or as a extra shield that is technically unbreakable is kind of annoying. The other matter is, is that the map isn't large enough for a point to have vehicles, I feel like the map should be back to the original popular one without the beach and all the extra editions. Since we are decreasing player slots, we should shrink the map to the original version. I believe doing that will decrease FPS issues and improve optimization and play time.

I also believe that all classes that come with guns shouldn't come with any, the fact the Hitman gets a automatic for free is annoying, the RDM is more common. It will also give the Gun Dealer more importance on the server, making him something to automatically go towards to.

Also we should remove the ability to have one way bases, or just buff some of the guns to shoot through props (the one that can't), it's unfair that certain bases are unraidable. It's also unfair that certain weapons can't shoot through one way props, while others can, a new player won't be able to tell without having experience.

We need more cars tbh, cars make it fun. The hitmans gun was also in purge and there weren't that many issues with RDM.

jitticus

Posted  Edited by Joel · Hidden
Hidden
3 hours ago, Alexis said:

I really like the idea of stripping everything back to its original state. The issue with the old map was some of the places were buggy and needed fixing. The map that @OGMartin was a big success for the purge server. I don’t like the idea of stripping all weapons from classes, the police have an armoury, so their weapons can be stripped. Putting some classes to basic guns which deal no damage will help drive people to use gun dealers/blackmarket dealers. If you are going with the purge idea, the original plugins worked but they had flaws which causes FPS issues and lag and caused errors within the console, some of them conflicted. Working from the old base(backup) if you still have them on the system. Will give a clear insight of what worked back then. Limiting addons by adding custom scripts will benefit the servers FPS while not trying to pull addons, since everything within the server runs off a Lua scrips, will help it work better but having a dedicated developer team which can help constantly make improvement and develope custom content will drive the population. Also advertisement is lacking massively within the whole community a community announcement in discord or on the forums isn’t enough. I would really get a team together and work out marketing plan for the community if you want to drive the gaming population towards GFL. Having a advertisement network within GFL is vital for the long run of the community. I don’t know if that’s something you thought about @Roy with advertisement? 

Edited by Joel

76561198130815225.png

8EFBB426-F3D7-4A6C-B409-7372CCCD11F5-1640-000003D5E8AD4561.png

Hidden

make @nick027nd manager again and bring back pr1zm tricycles. juicy lucy is the only reason darkrp worked before. 

┍━━—━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┑

spacer.png

┕━━—━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┙