Dominic

Merging Member Accepter into Forum Moderator

Currently, the Member Accepter role is kind of in limbo as it isn't really an official role but does have necessary responsibilities to tend to. Making it into an official role is probably pointless with only one thing to take care of. However, Forum Moderators are currently a bit underwhelmed with tasks and could probably put a few more things on their plates. Accepting members is not very time consuming and can easily be tossed onto our existing responsibility set, in my opinion. As for the current people with the role, I'd imagine the best course of action would be to remove it from them and if they wanted to, they could apply for Forum Moderator. This seems like the fairest way of going about things, as automatically giving someone who just accepts members all the permissions of a forum moderator doesn't seem right.

What's everyone's thoughts on this proposal?

Posted  Edited by Serenity

I like this idea. The Member Acceptor role is kind of in limbo and doesn't have a set team. Since the Moderation team, specifically Forum mods have been updated, I think it should be a responsibility that falls under us. There are around 4 or 5 people I believe who are Member Acceptors but most people under the role aren't active when it comes to handling the applications. I also agree that the best course of action is probably removing those of the Member Acceptor role and directing them to apply for forum moderator, if that is something they might be interested in. 

Edited by Serenity

Achievements

2 minutes ago, Jerry Hat Trick said:

I thought we had a bot to handle the bulk of these?

Once it took over, Member Accepters were kind of moot.

people who have bans on record the bot wont accept, so thats when MA come in 

image.jpeg.c5698c2d3670a49d660e08b65bcee65a.jpeg

Posted  Edited by Serenity
12 minutes ago, Jerry Hat Trick said:

Yes, those with bans, etc. Surely there aren't that many?

I don’t think you’re understanding the point of the thread. It’s about doing something with the current Member Acceptor role, because it’s a separate role that has one small responsibility. This suggestion is to put it under the responsibility of forum moderators, as it honestly makes more sense that way and something they should/could be handling. 

Edited by Serenity

Achievements

I'll do you one better: remove Member Accepters and make the system entirely automated. Automatically accept people, even those with bans. If someone is banned and they get member, who cares? A banned Member or a banned Player is still a banned person. And why would a ban make someone ineligible for Member?

Thoughts please.

2 minutes ago, Dominic said:

I'll do you one better: remove Member Accepters and make the system entirely automated. Automatically accept people, even those with bans. If someone is banned and they get member, who cares? A banned Member or a banned Player is still a banned person. And why would a ban make someone ineligible for Member?

Thoughts please.

Member gives perks to people across all GFL servers, so I feel making it automated would in a sense be rewarding bad behavior to those who have multiple bans and don't plan on following the rules anytime soon. So I don't think it should be entirely automated. 

Achievements

Just now, Dominic said:

The reason why it's not entirely automated is because it's always better to introduce and welcome members as a human way instead of being a greedy corporate company where they automate everything - including welcoming and greeting people in a robotic way. 

Not everything about automation is good - in fact, they're the evidence that AI are going to take over the world.

Kidding. But seriously - automation on everything isn't good. Hell, back then, we used to manually accept members on the old forums. We had a easy way to accept members on this forums before the bot auto-accepts people. 

In short - it's better if we have a member acceptors or a person accepting a player, making it genuinely way. 

76561198043643390.png

Posted  Edited by TheJitFace

I mean the only member acceptors are just me and @Bae. We do stay on top of them, and that is my only role so might as well do it good. Also, what happens to us then? I enjoy doing them because once in a while I can talk to some new members and get to know them.

Edited by TheJitFace

jitticus

Posted  Edited by Joshy - Edit Reason: their -> they're

I'm not against forum moderators becoming capable of the role.

I am against consolidating or removing the opportunity for others.  Some things I've suggested in the past and still stand by is that I would like Server Admins+ to be able to do it.  For starters: It's a low-risk opportunity like you said "who cares" regardless of circumstances I agree with that and feel like if Server Admins are trusted to make bans, then they should be able to decide on accepting people for perks in the server they watch over.

The other thing that Ben brought up is the interaction.  I hate how member acceptor feels like such a process here almost like going to the DMV for your driver license and waiting for people to approve of things.  I would rather change its tone to something like a "hook up".  Someone joins the server and they're curious about all these subtle differences members have...  the server admin can engage with the player and "hook them up".  "Check out our forums and put in the application...  I'll hook you up!"  I feel like this will be far more effective in securing people into the community; it also gets them familiar with someone who's already in the in (the server admin).

Last thing is I feel like these positions even if they are minor the people in them are more invested into the community and if they haven't had a role before it's a great pathway / first stepping stone into leadership roles.

I personally think too few people are capable of it and it would be better if we had a lot more people involved with it.  I don't even know how people should be applying for this role and so I think or feel like it would be better if we could figure out how to open things up so that more people can do it.

Edited by Joshy
their -> they're

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

Posted  Edited by TheJitFace
7 hours ago, Joshy said:

The other thing that Ben brought up is the interaction.  I hate how member acceptor feels like such a process here almost like going to the DMV for your driver license and waiting for people to approve of things.  I would rather change its tone to something like a "hook up".  Someone joins the server and they're curious about all these subtle differences members have...  the server admin can engage with the player and "hook them up".  "Check out our forums and put in the application...  I'll hook you up!"  I feel like this will be far more effective in securing people into the community; it also gets them familiar with someone who's already in the in (the server admin).

I never thought about that, it is literally like the DMV.  Almost all the time, people who get denied get that result due to their lack of response. People continue to play on the servers, but don't check forums because they had no clue they were going to get stopped. Also, I have done the hookup thing before for some people I met in teamspeak a long time ago, and it did seem to heighten their interests in the community. 

I have an idea for this, so people can respond to their apps and not get denied. On the application page, say "If you have a previous server ban or vac ban on record, your application will be submitted for manual review." This will make the person applying aware that they will need to reply back to their application, or at least check it. 

Edited by TheJitFace

jitticus

Posted  Edited by Salad

*insert comment about my proposed support team section of PR that included member accepter within that*

Edited by Salad

Director of Divisions and Physion Unturned Division Leader

amongus_AdobeExpress.gif

xQc on GFL Surf 7/16/22

I'm going to bump this up because I don't want to see the ideas fizzle out.

On 12/8/2020 at 11:15 AM, Salad said:

*insert comment about my proposed support team section of PR that included member accepter within that*

Would it be okay if we counted Social Media as kind of part of this or do we have a PR team they kind of have the same concept if they do social media it inherently advertises us, right?  I think it might also help the new social media team grow or get more people interested in it.

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152