Jump to content
 Share

xmi

"New" Server Suggestion

"New" Server Suggestion  

21 members have voted

  1. 1. Bring back GMOD Jailbreak?



Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Rick said:

I was forced to say yes

Thank you for your suggestion!


xmi_signature_yae_miko_forums.thumb.png.382ccbebc34625a5221fa5d2521b1321.png

 

Former | too many things to fit in a signature

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Achievements

I think the main concern with a Jailbreak server would be the sustainability. You even mentioned, which I applaud for acknowledging, that it takes a big chance about retaining playerbase to be a successful server. And I share this concern, in that after launch, there will be an influx of players who will play to "relive the good 'ol days", but after a week the server will just fall off. 

 

However, I am willing to gauge other people's opinions based off any replies here, and bring it into consideration. I'm not at all against exploring new servers (even if it's a previously used gamemode), but I just want to ensure that it has a good community support system. 

 

Thank you for your suggestion, and I look forward to see other people's thoughts.


GFX1.thumb.png.c5c5371c03240785be325143d4584c4a.png

(Signature credit to @Clavers)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


For the first time in several years, I will type out a serious comment with thought behind it. 

 

What killed (in my eyes) the original jailbreak server (that I used to play/staff/manage) was a very quick rotation of staff/management, and getting burnt on ideas to reignite the flame of the server to the player base and staff alike. When I had first joined it, there was a fairly steady group of staff, and a lot of regulars on just about every day (20-30~ players each day from what I remember). Then, after a while with managers resigning, staff moving up to fill now-vacant positions, and each new manager spending hours searching for new things to bring to the server, it became a cycle that would burn out managers quicker than a flame without oxygen. 

 

What made the second attempt at a jailbreak server unappealing (in my eyes) was using a version of jailbreak that felt both cluttered, unfamiliar, and unappealing. I don't even remember much about the second server -- I immediately got turned off from the gamemode just from the plugin being used. Why it got swapped from the original one, I have no idea -- I wasn't involved with the community at that time, and simply hopped on to check out how much it had changed. With a simple Google search, I was able to find a very similar version of the old one that we used -- which was a thousand times better in nearly every way (linked here).

 

However, other than the unappealing version of the gamemode, jailbreak was never about what else could truly be added to it. A large concern of the managers finding stuff to add was related to the gameplay -- skins not having accurate hitboxes or being pay-to-win/lose, trails giving away the position of rebelling prisoners, or giving gameplay advantages to those with large amounts of playtime or who donated. And sure, being able to have an anime girl model was way more fun and appealing than the default prisoner model -- why wouldn't it be? But, what truly made the server was the community. Jailbreak is a gamemode that isn't as prone to new players joining the server -- it was always a better time for everyone involved with its established playerbase. Everyone knew the rules, they knew how the warden's games were played out, they knew the maps, but more importantly, they knew eachother. And this would be my genuine largest concern with setting up a new server. This playerbase would have to be reestablished as well as upkept. Either that, or there would have to be some appeal to bring in new players. 

 

However, as you said -- I don't think that this should something to discourage the server from getting a fair attempt at life again. The maps have all been previously played on before (and I don't see why they'd suddenly not work), the gamemode linked above seems extremely similar/familiar, which would be a warm welcome to any previous players, and I'm sure all the GMOD managers/Wayne know what models would be able to be added to a point store with accurate hitboxes without having to spend hours testing. I'd give the server a fair shot again if it were to be actually and properly made, and I hope that it'd be able to survive longer than the second one did. The gamemode truly does have a special place in my heart, and I'd love to see it succeed. 


maxresdefault.jpg

9qgn1Zn.png

was good knowin you

M E M E S

Spoiler

c8t20uJ.png

NYsFw15.png

pRMNTno.png

iGOJUvA.png

9qgn1Zn.png

F11Vx5A.png

YK0zrGH.png

 

D I S C O R D

 

V5BjkfK.png

NHMZswY.png

4M7pOXZ.png

aURPCME.png

XYga1Wn.png

7VakUEv.png

ecErTIf.png

cc1LDBw.png

 

D E N R O S

 

giphy.gif

 

D O N T   F O R G E T   W I L F O R D

 

SDjQmNz.png

 

D O N T   F O R G E T   J E R M

9qgn1Zn.png

Spoiler

Former Garry's Mod Jailbreak Manager

Former CS:S Bhop Manager

Former CS:S Dust 2 Manager

 

#MakeGMODGreatAgain

#BringBackGMODJailbreak

#BringBackJermsquad

#Hacking4CA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


10 minutes ago, Addy said:

What made the second attempt at a jailbreak server unappealing (in my eyes) was using a version of jailbreak that felt both cluttered, unfamiliar, and unappealing. I don't even remember much about the second server -- I immediately got turned off from the gamemode just from the plugin being used. Why it got swapped from the original one, I have no idea -- I wasn't involved with the community at that time, and simply hopped on to check out how much it had changed. With a simple Google search, I was able to find a very similar version of the old one that we used -- which was a thousand times better in nearly every way (linked here).

 

While I understand how and why this is a concern, the plugin linked doesn't seem to get any attention from its developers for about 6 years now. The chances of it working might be low considering all the updates that the game has received in this time period. Whoever decides to build the server would have to either find yet another similar but more updated one or try to get in contact with the plugin developer (or even update it themselves if they know their way around programming). 

 

With this being said, the server probably won't be similar to the old server in this regard, but it is possible to try and make it feel like so. It's just something that everyone would have to keep in mind and being open to.

 

21 minutes ago, Addy said:

However, other than the unappealing version of the gamemode, jailbreak was never about what else could truly be added to it. A large concern of the managers finding stuff to add was related to the gameplay -- skins not having accurate hitboxes or being pay-to-win/lose, trails giving away the position of rebelling prisoners, or giving gameplay advantages to those with large amounts of playtime or who donated. And sure, being able to have an anime girl model was way more fun and appealing than the default prisoner model -- why wouldn't it be? But, what truly made the server was the community. Jailbreak is a gamemode that isn't as prone to new players joining the server -- it was always a better time for everyone involved with its established playerbase. Everyone knew the rules, they knew how the warden's games were played out, they knew the maps, but more importantly, they knew eachother. And this would be my genuine largest concern with setting up a new server. This playerbase would have to be reestablished as well as upkept. Either that, or there would have to be some appeal to bring in new players. 

 

For the server to successfully launch and run, we'd need to reestablish this player base whether it involves newer players and the current users active in the community. It's going to be nigh on impossible since a lot of our old friends aren't involved with the community as a whole anymore. If they are willing to play on it then that'd be amazing, but the server should still be inclusive to new players or they'll turn away. We should be getting to know them and vice versa. My point is the more people included in the player base the better.

 

As for the gameplay and store point, we just basically have to learn from past mistakes in the previous servers. Improving the store items (trails, bullet tracers, etc) in order to make it not disruptive to the game and still add a nice appeal to the server. The models will always have to be tested for obvious reasons but that in itself is not hard to do lol. 

 

31 minutes ago, Addy said:

What killed (in my eyes) the original jailbreak server (that I used to play/staff/manage) was a very quick rotation of staff/management, and getting burnt on ideas to reignite the flame of the server to the player base and staff alike. When I had first joined it, there was a fairly steady group of staff, and a lot of regulars on just about every day (20-30~ players each day from what I remember). Then, after a while with managers resigning, staff moving up to fill now-vacant positions, and each new manager spending hours searching for new things to bring to the server, it became a cycle that would burn out managers quicker than a flame without oxygen. 

This is the main point I was trying to bring with the negatives in the post. A lot of the former staff gave up on the server pretty quickly and there was a bit of tension between some of them but that is something to be heavily avoided in this possible new attempt otherwise it's just repeating history at this point and we don't want that. We've gone several years without trying the server again, last time being around 2017, so I would really like to see it work this time. It would be great to bring everyone back together and welcome even more people into the nice community we once had on the server. I may have not been as involved in the past, but every time I played it was always great fun. Like previously stated it won't hurt to try but everyone needs to really commit this time.


xmi_signature_yae_miko_forums.thumb.png.382ccbebc34625a5221fa5d2521b1321.png

 

Former | too many things to fit in a signature

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Achievements

Wow.  I'm the one who voted no.  I'm sorry!

 

I'm being bad browsing the website while in a class so it will be difficult for me to give a detailed response right now.  To summarize quickly your thread is very good and you have good points... if it were just this thread by itself, then I would be very compelled to say yes (just to be clear though this type of decision is not within my scope).  Outside of this thread I've seen a whiff of some concerning behaviour on Discord while it's not exactly breaking rules or being a major problem... it's still a headache for me... I cannot comfortably invite that.


PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, Joshy said:

Wow.  I'm the one who voted no.  I'm sorry!

 

I'm being bad browsing the website while in a class so it will be difficult for me to give a detailed response right now.  To summarize quickly your thread is very good and you have good points... if it were just this thread by itself, then I would be very compelled to say yes (just to be clear though this type of decision is not within my scope).  Outside of this thread I've seen a whiff of some concerning behaviour on Discord while it's not exactly breaking rules or being a major problem... it's still a headache for me... I cannot comfortably invite that.

 

If these are matters you'd rather not disclose publicly that's okay. I am more than willing to understand your point of view as well so, if you're comfortable, feel free to send me a message in Discord. 🙂


xmi_signature_yae_miko_forums.thumb.png.382ccbebc34625a5221fa5d2521b1321.png

 

Former | too many things to fit in a signature

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Achievements

43 minutes ago, Joshy said:

Wow.  I'm the one who voted no.  I'm sorry!

 

I'm being bad browsing the website while in a class so it will be difficult for me to give a detailed response right now.  To summarize quickly your thread is very good and you have good points... if it were just this thread by itself, then I would be very compelled to say yes (just to be clear though this type of decision is not within my scope).  Outside of this thread I've seen a whiff of some concerning behaviour on Discord while it's not exactly breaking rules or being a major problem... it's still a headache for me... I cannot comfortably invite that.

Can you please elaborate on this point? Are you talking about the general behavior of the people who are INTERESTED in the server that would come onto GFL? Are you talking about @xmi? Are you talking about someone else who already voted/responded to the thread? What type of behavior are you talking about? 

If you don't want to disclose it here, fine. I would love to discuss this in DMs though. 


de247ln-88ce2fb2-8f7c-4f43-b129-1e2919f9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Auralanity said:

Can you please elaborate on this point? Are you talking about the general behavior of the people who are INTERESTED in the server that would come onto GFL? Are you talking about @xmi? Are you talking about someone else who already voted/responded to the thread? What type of behavior are you talking about? 

If you don't want to disclose it here, fine. I would love to discuss this in DMs though. 

I'm obviously not Joshy, but I'm almost certain I know the individuals he's talking about. There's a group of somewhere between 4-6 individuals in the main GFL Discord, and they are some of the more annoying people I've come across. Pinging random directors about the dumbest things possible, being obnoxious about jailbreak, and just low quality "trolling", if you can even call it that. It's not even high quality stuff that I can respect. I'll admit I have no idea what the overall jailbreak community is like, but it seems like to bring the server back would invite those 4-6 idiots to cause problems, and potentially bring along more of their idiot friends to plague the server. Would dealing with them on a more consistent basis be worth it if they drive off the majority of the server population?


image.thumb.png.2ef4bb5d1eba87658f3aa07bcdc16760.png

Signature by @Auralanity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, Roger Gunshot said:

I'm obviously not Joshy, but I'm almost certain I know the individuals he's talking about. There's a group of somewhere between 4-6 individuals in the main GFL Discord, and they are some of the more annoying people I've come across. Pinging random directors about the dumbest things possible, being obnoxious about jailbreak, and just low quality "trolling", if you can even call it that.

the funny thing with that is, those people want CS:GO Jailbreak to come back, so I think that's the confusion there. If I remember correctly though, our jailbreak server for GMod was inhabited by similar people from time to time lol.

My thoughts on this thread are that of most "revival" server suggestions. I think it's a nice concept but highly unlikely to succeed. Would be a good bit of effort expended for little gain imo, but we've put in more effort for less possible return in the past, so it's really up to Wayne on what he wants to pursue. I'd love to have a GMod Deathrun server back too, but I know that it's a losing, uphill battle that probably isn't worth it.  From my experience, nostalgia has a hell of an effect on stuff like this, and the majority of the time people don't necessarily want the server or gamemode back, they want the community and fun they had back, which is incredibly hard to regain.

There seems to be a few interested people in this though, so if it's decided that the server will make a return/be revived/whateva, I would be happy to help work on it and hop on from time to time, because I too, hate my life :lenny:


Director of Divisions and Physion Unturned Division Leader

 

amongus_AdobeExpress.gif

xQc on GFL Surf 7/16/22

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Posted  Edited by Joshy

Roger summarized it pretty well.  Thanks, Roger!  I wont be so secretive that we have to hide it 🙂 it's not such a major problem that it needs to be hidden, but yes there are people who join the Discords and can be kind of frustrating- always asking about JB and tagging over petty things.  They aren't committing any "crimes", but it's just very distasteful and I don't like it.

 

I'm sorry those few have tainted my perspective on this topic and wont deny my personal bias on that.  I'm sure if something was annoying to you too even when it came to be a good idea you might naturally be resistant to it too, and the main things that I do get to work on here is moderation so I'll definitely be interested in minimizing any potential issues there too.  I know that 5-6 people don't sound like a lot and it's a shame to generalize a community so badly, but based on what I've been seeing for the past few years I can confidently say that a lot of the challenges we run into are largely driven by a small handful.

 

I did confuse CSGO JB with this suggestion GMOD JB.  I'm not sure if the communities... the people... if they are similar.  Thanks, Salad!  So maybe concerns are not too valid then.

 

I do want to make it clear that I have very little say on this topic.  Even if I were to say "Absolutely not.  I wont allow it.  I refuse."  If Salad and Wayne say yes, and they find a manager who can do all the work (and o.w. have all the resources they need to make it happen), then they can have a server as early as yesterday.  Not much I could do about it, and I honestly would give the community my best effort despite my personal opinion.  A lot of times I'm wrong and these turn out pretty good, and I'd be happy to give it a shot.  Plus I think it's really tacky when people say they don't like an idea, do everything they can to make it fail, then say "See.  It failed."  I promise I wont do that- too lame.  If this idea did materialize I will give it everything I got to help it succeed.

Edited by Joshy

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


17 hours ago, Joshy said:

I wont be so secretive that we have to hide it 🙂 it's not such a major problem that it needs to be hidden, but yes there are people who join the Discords and can be kind of frustrating- always asking about JB and tagging over petty things.  They aren't committing any "crimes", but it's just very distasteful and I don't like it.

 

I'm sorry those few have tainted my perspective on this topic and wont deny my personal bias on that.  I'm sure if something was annoying to you too even when it came to be a good idea you might naturally be resistant to it too, and the main things that I do get to work on here is moderation so I'll definitely be interested in minimizing any potential issues there too.  I know that 5-6 people don't sound like a lot and it's a shame to generalize a community so badly, but based on what I've been seeing for the past few years I can confidently say that a lot of the challenges we run into are largely driven by a small handful.

 

 

You consider someone @ ing another person and making a joke out of something as toxic and frustrating. It's funny how you think it's some major disturbance and if something like that was to come onto the servers then you would think it would be the end of the world. I don't get how some people take this stuff soo seriously. Now I feel like even if gfl would release a csgo jailbreak then there would be no players because of all the anti-fun admins the server would have.

 

The reason that there were suggestions for gfl to release a csgo jb was because there's huge potential and it could easily rise to become a top 5-10 server, but the biggest reason was because the community for the current #1 jb server became soo anti-fun, pg-13, no swearing allowed, follow rules at all times or get banned, and because of this gfl could have easily taken their spot.

 

Also, funnily enough, nobody has been pinged once since there was a warning given, but still, some act as if we have been disturbing servers non-stop. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, AutoJumper said:

 

You consider someone @ ing another person and making a joke out of something as toxic and frustrating. It's funny how you think it's some major disturbance and if something like that was to come onto the servers then you would think it would be the end of the world. I don't get how some people take this stuff soo seriously. Now I feel like even if gfl would release a csgo jailbreak then there would be no players because of all the anti-fun admins the server would have.

 

The reason that there were suggestions for gfl to release a csgo jb was because there's huge potential and it could easily rise to become a top 5-10 server, but the biggest reason was because the community for the current #1 jb server became soo anti-fun, pg-13, no swearing allowed, follow rules at all times or get banned, and because of this gfl could have easily taken their spot.

 

Also, funnily enough, nobody has been pinged once since there was a warning given, but still, some act as if we have been disturbing servers non-stop. 

 

This is a Garry'd Mod server suggestion, what?


xmi_signature_yae_miko_forums.thumb.png.382ccbebc34625a5221fa5d2521b1321.png

 

Former | too many things to fit in a signature

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Achievements

6 hours ago, xmi said:

 

This is a Garry'd Mod server suggestion, what?

 

Looks like two different communities.  My concerns have been majorly mitigated.  I do want to make it very clear I have no control over the outcome even the people who have the highest say on the matter might not have the resources (I'm not sure), but you can consider my vote a yes now 🙂 if they see the promise and have the resources maybe they can work on it.


PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Posted  Edited by xmi
12 hours ago, AutoJumper said:

 

You consider someone @ ing another person and making a joke out of something as toxic and frustrating. It's funny how you think it's some major disturbance and if something like that was to come onto the servers then you would think it would be the end of the world. I don't get how some people take this stuff soo seriously. Now I feel like even if gfl would release a csgo jailbreak then there would be no players because of all the anti-fun admins the server would have.

 

The reason that there were suggestions for gfl to release a csgo jb was because there's huge potential and it could easily rise to become a top 5-10 server, but the biggest reason was because the community for the current #1 jb server became soo anti-fun, pg-13, no swearing allowed, follow rules at all times or get banned, and because of this gfl could have easily taken their spot.

 

Also, funnily enough, nobody has been pinged once since there was a warning given, but still, some act as if we have been disturbing servers non-stop. 

To properly address and respond to this comment, I'll leave my 2 cents in here.

 

The Garry's Mod and CS:GO Jailbreak communities are vastly different, so much so that the whole "PG 13" thing wouldn't be so much of an issue. Not saying that swearing should be punishable and whatnot but the Garry's Mod community is more tame i this regard in the in-game servers than the CS:GO community in general. If people really want a CS:GO Jailbreak back then shoot your shot. I did that in 2018 and even if maybe it didn't have the leadership it deserved in order to stay alive, if people really want something then work for it, like me with this thread. Moderation will always be necessary but your main concern seems to solely rely within the CS:GO community itself rather than GFL. Not many are a fan of the common "CS:GO player toxicity" and I say this out of pure experience; I was a CS:GO manager several times and was a very active member to the CS:GO community, GFL or not. There is no denying that CS:GO players tend to have an almost unique sense of humour that doesn't really translate very well in other places like Garry's Mod or the core of GFL.

 

Point is, if you and your friends really want the server back then you have every means at your disposal to do so. There is a new CS:GO division management to when I originally suggested it all those years ago and the direction the server needs to take off can be trusted in their hands (not saying that the past management was bad but the HG merge idea killed the server). Just next time prepare yourself for the general unwelcoming eyes of the rest of the community due to the difference in humour and all that stuff. Knowing Joshy, I really don't think it's anything personal to him but more of him taking his position more seriously and wanting to properly apply the proper moderation rules. He's a fairly serious but really friendly guy just don't let the bad air really influence each others' opinions. Seems like a fair bit of a misunderstanding but nothing that can't be resolved or talked about. I hope you have a wonderful day and thank you for your opinion as well! 🙂

 

Edit: what Salad said is also somewhat true. The Garry's Mod Jailbreak community had its bad apples but those players are either long gone or banned. I have faith in the present times.

Edited by xmi

xmi_signature_yae_miko_forums.thumb.png.382ccbebc34625a5221fa5d2521b1321.png

 

Former | too many things to fit in a signature

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Achievements

On 12/1/2022 at 3:19 AM, AutoJumper said:

The reason that there were suggestions for gfl to release a csgo jb was because there's huge potential and it could easily rise to become a top 5-10 server, but the biggest reason was because the community for the current #1 jb server became soo anti-fun, pg-13, no swearing allowed, follow rules at all times or get banned, and because of this gfl could have easily taken their spot.

 

I'll only chime in because for some reason the CS:GO side of things were mentioned. I've said it several times: the only reason I am not doing it is because there is no one to run it. The reason there is no one to run it is because the community is very well known for being icky, always has been.

 

I know there's demand for it. I know there are several groups of people that want it. It would probably succeed on CS:GO. I am simply not doing it because everyone talks like its very easy, but it's very hard to run, and so it's hard to find anyone actually interested and skilled enough to do it that has time!

 

This was not related at all to the GMod suggestion, just clearing up why the CS:GO one hasn't happened lol


W/ regards to the GMod suggestion: I think it would be cool as a pop-up server for like a few weeks to a month, for old times' sake! Would be cool I think

 


Discord: Infra#0001 | Steam: /id/infra- | GitHub: /1zc

             Executive Director & CS:GO Division Leader          

Server Manager of CS:GO KZ

 

image_10.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Posted  Edited by Rick

The reason why im extremely mixed on the topic of this is exactly what @Addy said. What made the old Jailbreak special was the people we had. A good comfortable 20+ people that would hop on and actively play on the server. Now unless all those 20+ people would happily come back and play actively again like we all did when we were kids I doubt this would ever lift off. 

 

I managed the most recent Jailbreak server and the reason it failed was simply once again what @Addy said and that was the system was just a clunky horrible mess to deal with. When I managed it back then I was limited on updating the gamemode because the one we previously had was "too outdated". A simple refresh and some honest dev work would patch up that vintage gamemode easily. 

 

Then there's Garry's Mod as a whole to look at. Jailbreak is a completely dead gamemode, unless we have someone whos willing to completely revamp and implement new and enticing features to draw in potential players its just as good as the other 5 dead Jailbreak servers.  Here's the chart of the most popular Jailbreak server at the moment

 

image.png.3072184080a84aaadfdbb42ae51e7682.png

 

A big yikes. 

 

 

Personally I'd all be for it but I feel as if this would simply be waste of time and effort that could be used to either patch up the existing declining Garry's Mod servers for GFL or put it into a cool new project. 

 

Now I dont want to be all against this idea so lets have a bit of fun and look at it in a positive way.

 

This could be a great opportunity to revive the gamemode. If done correctly it would put Jailbreak up in the top 10 gamemodes by having ONE full server and back on the radars of most people. It could also spark huge revenue for GFL as Jailbreak itself has a lot of ways to "monetize" things such as playermodels, weapon skins & other old school Pointshop things. Theres also the fact that managers have a lot more freedom with their server in this division meaning plenty of room to figure out ways to improve and act on them. 

 

My heart wants Jailbreak to return but my brain tells me this isnt plausible

Edited by Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Achievements

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...